yes a poll! spectralayers 6 (or 4 or 5 or..)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

spectralayers 6

i own spectralayers pro 6
25%
i own spectralayers elements 6
2%
i own spectralayers 4/5
13%
i own spectralayers 1/2/3
4%
what is spectralayers?
13%
i am interested and know what it can do
9%
i am interested but don't really get it
5%
not interested
7%
i have rx 7 elements/standard
14%
i have rx 7 advanced
9%

Total votes: 56

KVRAF
1694 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Wed May 27, 2020 3:22 am

it seems that spectralayers, that jumped from sony to magix to steinberg (although magix still bundles spectralayers 6, a nice deal for samplitude x4 (x5 is out), with soundforge pro and spectralayers, check it out. i already have soundforge pro 12, cheap. and of course spectralayers),

i begin again: it seems that spectralayers, a very powerfull spectral editor, doens't get that much attention. even by steinberg. or on the forum specially for spectralayers 6.

i own spectralayers pro 6, and it is great (personal opinion!). also have spectralayers 4, 5 i don't have any more.
i have cubase pro 10.5.20 and wavelab pro 10.0.30, so it is also part a of nice ecosystem.
but spectralayers, with ARA2, can be used by other DAW's, and it has also a standalone version.

i mainly bought it for sounddesign.

this is a poll, yes it is KVR, but i am genuinely interested why this program get so little attention.
and i am interested if people own it, and what version.

there are other spectral editors. one i have forgotten. but the most known is of course izotope rx 7, and the advanced version is the real thing. (don't own rx 7 advanced, only elements..)

perhaps it is niche thing, the marketing bad, or a lot of people think, it isn't my cup of tea.

link to spectralayers, for people that don't know it, or know it, and want to check it out:

https://new.steinberg.net/spectralayers/

(a poll, what am i thinking! vurt, please be gentle...no never be gentle...)
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

KVRian
1292 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Wed May 27, 2020 4:02 am

I have 4 and it is too buggy to use - if it was not buggy I would use it and would think about upgrading.
I also have rx7, which is stable and excellent but quite different to spectralayers even though they overlap as far as some noise reduction goes.

KVRist
197 posts since 9 Oct, 2013 from uk

Post Wed May 27, 2020 4:31 am

Here's another thread:-
viewtopic.php?p=7606277#p7606277

You could post about your poll in there too maybe...

I bought Elements 6 whilst on sale - but its really the wrong program for my needs.
Win10;i7; 16Gb; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v11.0.20; Wavelab Pro v10.0.70; StudioOne v5.2.1; UR44 audio/MIDI; HS80 and Equator D5 monitoring. Komplete 12; Stylus RMX

KVRAF
3203 posts since 16 Jan, 2005 from Ottawa, Ontario

Post Wed May 27, 2020 8:44 am

fairlyclose wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:02 am
I have 4 and it is too buggy to use - if it was not buggy I would use it and would think about upgrading.
I also have rx7, which is stable and excellent but quite different to spectralayers even though they overlap as far as some noise reduction goes.
Agreed. Crashes like aeroflot. waaaaaay too buggy.

KVRist
204 posts since 3 Dec, 2009 from Cologne, Germany

Post Wed May 27, 2020 9:00 am

Buggy? Almost not here.
The only thing which does not work is the ara implementation ion in Sound Forge 14. But this seems to be SF. SF luckily has another interface to Spectralayers which works properly. In Cubase 10.5 SL6 Pro works as expected.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed May 27, 2020 11:56 pm

fairlyclose wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:02 am
i have also 4, don't use it much, of course. only when i don't have my dongle with me. but never experienced, when i used it more, buggy behavior. but it depends on what you do and system, perhaps. pro 6 has some openGL problems, some small bugs, but it is very stable, the things i mentioned don't impair working with it. the directx option, i use, for example; works.
if rx7 works for you, and you don't need the other stuff, rx7 is a great choice, me thinks.
thebutler wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:31 am

I bought Elements 6 whilst on sale - but its really the wrong program for my needs.
wrong program for your needs, why? interested. what did you expect and did not get?
ReverendLove wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:00 am
Buggy? Almost not here.
The only thing which does not work is the ara implementation ion in Sound Forge 14. But this seems to be SF. SF luckily has another interface to Spectralayers which works properly. In Cubase 10.5 SL6 Pro works as expected.
yes quite stable. soundforge has indeed no ara, nor does wavelab (but has a kind of spectralayers/rx 7 light), but spectralayers works as an external editor, the edits, can be transfered back. ara in a audio editing program? mmh, can it be usefull?

KVRist
197 posts since 9 Oct, 2013 from uk

Post Thu May 28, 2020 2:47 am

WasteLand wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:56 pm
thebutler wrote:

wrong program for your needs, why? interested. what did you expect and did not get?
Using it to perform removal of mic bleed in live (rock band) vocals for starters; although it can do it, workflow and results were cumbersome when applying a specific 'noise-print' across an entire file. And whatever I tried, it seemed to eat into the actual vocal sound too much.

I thought I could say identify a specific tom hit that was leaking through and then tell the program to go and find and mark all similar occurrences, so I could deal with them all in one go - you know, have the app do some work for me... ;-)

Both jobs turned in to very tedious chores, having to deal with each section or vocal phrase/word, very carefully, one-by-one as a new 'layer'.

Now ok, I'm mindful there probably isn't any other app/tool that would deal with that second task (automatically) any better.! Though for general restoration/noise removal stuff, there are better alternatives. Another thing I didn't appreciate at the outset.

Anyway, I'd say now, this tool is much more of a precision instrument than that - and I reckon more geared for sound manipulation/sound design. And of course, its good for one-time 'spot-removal' tasks.

My experience with a Full Trial edition was limited - time pressures meant I never got to grips with it... I really didn't get to understand what I was doing, or how to use the app properly. I followed online vids (what there were) and studied the manual - but I just couldn't get results I was after (restoration/renovation). Which kept making me think I was just using the app all wrong. Or, maybe my whole expectations were wrong.

Workflow wise, I think Elements was maybe limited as well...

Enough for now... :neutral:
Win10;i7; 16Gb; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v11.0.20; Wavelab Pro v10.0.70; StudioOne v5.2.1; UR44 audio/MIDI; HS80 and Equator D5 monitoring. Komplete 12; Stylus RMX

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu May 28, 2020 3:09 am

thebutler wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:47 am
WasteLand wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:56 pm
thebutler wrote:

Using it to perform removal of mic bleed in live (rock band) vocals for starters; although it can do it, results sounded cumbersome when applying a 'noise-print' across an entire file. Whatever I tried, it seemed to eat into the actual vocal sound too much.

I thought I could say identify a specific tom hit that was leaking through and then tell the program to go and find and mark all similar occurrences, so I could deal with them all in one go - you know, have the app do some work for me... ;-)

Anyway, I'd say now, this tool is much more of a precision instrument than that - and I reckon more geared for sound manipulation/sound design. Restoration/renovation duties need another approach - which I didn't fully appreciate at the outset.

My experience with a Trial edition was limited - I really didn't understand what I was doing, or how to use the app properly. I followed online vids (what there were) and studied the manual - but I just couldn't get results I was after (restoration/renovation). Which kept making me think I was just using the app all wrong. Or, maybe my whole expectations were wrong.

Workflow wise, I think Elements was maybe limited as well...

Enough for now... :neutral:
that kind of things i don't run in to, i work alone.. sometimes, via stems, a make tracks with other people.
so the only bleeding is from my headphones, when i am singing. but it is never at level that is problematic.

a noise print, is for... noise... noise that is static. bleeding isn't static. but i understand why you think, i would also, if wasn't use to this kind of programs, that it can work. perhaps rx7 (standard/advanced) has such a thing, or works better for this kind of problems.

and me thinks for this kind of job pro would work, perhaps even elements, but it lacks some features. the bleeding you can remove, it takes some time. and experience.

in cleaning, mainly smartphone recordings (i don't have always my field recorder with me), i can remove a lot. i see in the spectralayers forum that people use it for restoration/renovation, and go in depth. not that experienced, i am.

o well, your story is interesting because it shows what people need/want, and what a program can do. sometimes the workflow doesn't work for you, sometimes the program can't do it..
and it is also interesting to see how other people work, even when it is a totally (or totally..) different "thing". it always gives me ideas.

EDIT: not a comment on your comment, but i forgot the fish in the poll! bad! bad!

KVRian
853 posts since 30 Mar, 2008 from MN, USA

Post Thu May 28, 2020 7:05 am

I keep hoping for a special on this. I want to get into forensic audio, and while RX can take you a long way, it's meant for a broader audience, so it's more of an automated toolbox. Spectralayers is a scalpel. It's an expert tool, which is probably why it's not well known.

KVRist
395 posts since 30 Apr, 2008 from St Louis, MO

Post Thu May 28, 2020 7:58 am

I bought spectralayers 4 from Magix on a super deal and upgraded to pro 6 when Steinberg bought it.

Never had any crashes. Indeed it is a surgical tool for clean up or sound design. As a home studio user I have not made extensive use of it (maybe once this year), but an incredible tool for getting rid of an annoyance buried in audio when needed. I have not used it for sound design or other uses.

Most other editing processes I do in cubase or sound forge.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Fri May 29, 2020 10:06 am

teilo wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:05 am
I keep hoping for a special on this. I want to get into forensic audio, and while RX can take you a long way, it's meant for a broader audience, so it's more of an automated toolbox. Spectralayers is a scalpel. It's an expert tool, which is probably why it's not well known.
a special, you mean a sale, me thinks. yes spectralayeres is a scalpel.
is it an expert tool? i can not judge if that is correct. maybe you are right.

a specialized tool, that is more obvious me thinks, and maybe it is because it specialized it is for experts..

but specialized is a better term, perhaps, not everyone needs it, me thinks. me thinks alot..

or specialized, it is a tool, so specialized, people are interested, but it recquires some experience, learning, for something that is not always so obvious.

i am not clear... iris 2 is quite popular, me thinks, again. it is spectral editing.

for me it was a "new" world, or better a world that i knew it existed, but couldn't enter it.

it is a scalpel, as you say, and that makes many possibilties possible..

but it can also be very simple, with the imprint function, unmasking made very easy.

i see that spectralayers elements 6, lacks the imprint function, and lacks also, among other things, settings for resolution and FFT size, that is recquired for chirurgical spectral editing, or recquired, the lack of those settings make somethings quite difficult.
Kevin63101 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:58 am
I bought spectralayers 4 from Magix on a super deal and upgraded to pro 6 when Steinberg bought it.

Never had any crashes. Indeed it is a surgical tool for clean up or sound design. As a home studio user I have not made extensive use of it (maybe once this year), but an incredible tool for getting rid of an annoyance buried in audio when needed. I have not used it for sound design or other uses.

Most other editing processes I do in cubase or sound forge.
i never had crashes too, only strange behavior with openGL (menu's not accessable, only when you hit F11, full screen, or made the window smaller).

i see it also has incredible tool, for many purposes.

yes, it is part of editing, cubase is already great for editing, wavelab is the editor. also have soundforge pro 12 (and other magix stuff via humble bundle..), worked with soundforge before, 12 years ago... also a great editor.

EDIT: never saw the promo video; gives some impression; but the others, more tutorials, gives you more in depth vision...

https://youtu.be/hBfxz9fLrvQ

Return to “Effects”