Seeking replacement VST's for Ohmicide, QuadFrohmage and Ohmboyz

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And like that, we have more information on the goings-on at Ohmforce than via... anywhere.
I've recorded over 400 answering machines - the Best Of recordings are available for use and can be found here:
https://answerphone.tumblr.com/

I love the Uhbik plugins. They don't have a dedicated saturation/distortion effect, though. Still, Runciter is a strong filter, and the delay is cool. A new version of Uhbik is in beta mode, and there will be some rack implementation--I'm looking forward to see what others do with it.

Lower Price, but nice quality: Klanghelm SDRR saturator; Unfiltered Audio Dent distortion (haven't tried Indent, a saturator); Trash 2 still holds up--I love it, although I find I'm slower using it than more dedicated plugins.

I like LFOTool's filters, especially their comb filter options, for certain uses (Serum FX has same filter options, IIRC).

Blue Cat Audio's Late Replies has a lot packed into it, but it's pricey (~$140, maybe goes half off on rare sale). I second the UA Sandman Pro, for an affordable (I got it on sale with a voucher for $20-$30, IIRC); it's a quality delay with nice mangling options.

UA Triad covers the effects you want with many more. I haven't done great things with it, but maybe others have? At least check it out. I got it cheap, too, on sale (maybe $25).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Ohmicide replacement in my opinion would be Kombinat by Audio Damage. I have both and they are both really decent.

For delays , echoboy.

Never used Quad Fromage, but its a filterbank right ? A lot of options around but maybe not as deep.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

audiot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:04 pm :o ... thats a great UI :hyper: When did they post that screenshot? Before or after that blue one from the homepage?
https://blog.ohmforce.com/2020-catalina ... -releases/

is all i was able to find.

I went through exactly what you are going through, seriously.

here's what I did, though some of this has already been covered:

Ohmicide - FabFilter Saturn*
OhmBoys - SandmanPro
QuadFrohm - ???

I didn't actually use QuadFrohm all that much though, so replacing it was less of a priority.

Sandman Pro is a seriously kickass delay with the best modulation UI / depth of any delay plugin, ever. It's a metric shi*-ton of fun, believe me. I adore it.

*let's be honest, though: there is no 1:1 replacement for Ohmicide -- not even close. Saturn is an excellent multiband distortion unit. It is also incredibly difficult to make it create "that" sound, if by "that" we mean -- the Ohmicide magic. I haven't been able recreate it anywhere, honestly. I tried Trash 2, and loathed the UI / workflow. I tried Kombinat Tri, and it never sounded very good to my ears, no matter what I did with it. Saturn proved the most useful, overall, as a distortion plugin; but it does NOT effectively 'replace' Ohmicide, it's just the best I could do. YMMV

-m

I think Filterscape was compared to Quad Frohmage in the past--I've never used either--only the free, pared down version of Frohmage.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I went a little nuts with purchases on Plugin Alliance - getting Sandman Pro, Dent 2 and Triad from Unfiltered Audio.

Triad is on a discount (code emailed out this morning) right now so for $49, that was a no-brainer. The modulation and multi-band effects seem to make this a weird, kind of replacement for Ohmicide. Not entirely, but it's super flexible.

I do hope the OhmForce plugins do get updated, though. I loved them to bits and I'll miss them in my workflow.
I've recorded over 400 answering machines - the Best Of recordings are available for use and can be found here:
https://answerphone.tumblr.com/

psynical wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:58 pm
audiot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:04 pm :o ... thats a great UI :hyper: When did they post that screenshot? Before or after that blue one from the homepage?
https://blog.ohmforce.com/2020-catalina ... -releases/

is all i was able to find.
:hyper: :wheee: Q1 2020 ... there's hope :party: Nice to see that they are alive :tu:

Saturn and trash for ohmicide

Have you considered Instinct? From Inertia Sound System. A bit of a learning curve, but beautiful saturation.

As a delay addict, to be honest Ohmboyz does have its own sound. Havent found any other plugin that sounds like it although there are other great delays.

I haven't used Ohmboyz in a decade but it did have 4 taps, no?

AFAIK Sandman Pro only has 2 taps.

Maybe Ohmboyz Infinity will be the real deal... but, until it is released, what other multitap delays are there?
  • D16 Tekturon
  • UVI Relayer
  • Echoboy
  • Logic's Delay Designer
  • Cubase's Multitap Delay
  • U-He MFM2
  • Waves SuperTap
Am I missing any?

Audiority Deleight

Also:
  • U-He Uhbik-D
  • PSP 608 MD

pierb wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:05 am AFAIK Sandman Pro only has 2 taps.
It has several modes. In "Multi-tap" mode, it can have up to 16 taps. Not sure how that compares though.

Return to “Effects”