Xhun Audio ShineVerb : Creative Reverb Processor - Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

I started this thread/topic to present ShineVerb, a resonator-based reverb processor with a good sound (I think :)) and some nice additions which could make it versatile in many scenarios.

This effect processor plugin has not been released yet (I think it will be in just a few weeks : October, 2020).

Here're a few audio examples / previews showing ShineVerb processing analogue synths (LittleOne), electric guitars (IronAxe), some drums and vocals :

https://soundcloud.com/xhun-audio/sets/ ... udio-demos

I'll do of my best to include (within the next few days) a full product description / walkthrough with images and signal flow schematics.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

A walkthrough is something which may always be helpful for anyone in the future... :)

So, let's start with an image :

ShineVerb is a reverberation setup, made of 3 separate devices (units) arranged in a Rack. Everything is very straightforward : inside the Rack, the signal flow follows the top-bottom direction - while inside each device, the signal flow follows the left-right direction.

The signal flow in ShineVerb:

(in the schematics above, rounded units are analogue modeled devices, squared units are digital devices)

The main scope of the plugin is to offer an easy to use, versatile reverberation and spatialization setup, with also the possibility to alter and "colorate" the sound following an analogue or digital (or both !) approach. But more on this later... :)

ShineVerb walkthrough episode 2 : The Rack Setup

Playing the leading role in ShineVerb is the REEVERB XT device, a digital reverberation unit with an extended set of controls. It also features a special panorama enhancer engine, to finely adjust the stereo image width of the processed sound.

Moreover, to unleash all the potential of its reverberation unit, ShineVerb also includes a set of additional devices in its signal processing chain.

Available at pre-processing stage, the PRE-AF24 unit is an analogue preamplifier featuring an input signal router, an analogue overdrive circuit and a multi-mode (low-pass or highpass) analogue filter.

On the post-processing side, the MIX-DF42 unit is a hybrid amplifier made of two digital low-pass and high-pass filters, an analogue saturation circuit and a final mixer section.

When is this coming out? The sound demos sound really good to me.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Hi ATS, it should be released during the month of October.

I think I'll be able to announce the final date just in a few days...

Xhun should concentrate on bringing the Axe into 64bit world and not starting new stuff.
I'm still pretty pissed that I bought it from JRR as an "absolute bargain" (without clear indication that it's just an ancient 32bit thing) and discovering after the purchase that I can not use it because it's hopelessly outdated...
Last edited by martinjuenke on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I’m more curious if Xhun has expressed any interest in continuing development for Mac Silicon, or if it’s just staying with Catalina/Intel.

Mind you, I’m not complaining. I’m just making sure I know what the expectations are. No worries.

Hi martinjuenke,

Today (and in the future too) any 32-bit software can easily be used on any 64-bit Host (OS/DAW) using a 32-64-bridge - no time-limited compatibility, it ...

EDIT : I deleted my (polite) replies to any off-topic (unmotivated) defiance.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

For me and my iMac 32bit items are unusable and therefore ancient outdated stuff.
We agree to disagree, sorry.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:28 pm I’m more curious if Xhun has expressed any interest in continuing development for Mac Silicon, or if it’s just staying with Catalina/Intel.

Mind you, I’m not complaining. I’m just making sure I know what the expectations are. No worries.
Hi masterhiggins,

eheh, I just finished posting my previous reply about formats and we have a new format contender in the arena : Apple Silicon ! :lol:

In general, at this point I think the pro audio industry deserves something better than just compiling plugins for the next hardware or format, and for the next, and the next after that (,...). The "format wars" can't be the way to the future, specially since such formats grown in number and today I think they're *really* too many...

To directly reply to your specific question, I have to make my evaluations on the matter.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:05 pm For me and my iMac 32bit items are unusable and therefore ancient outdated stuff.
We agree to disagree, sorry.
I "agree to disagree" too, Sir Image
Last edited by xhunaudio on Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Format wars" aside (at least for now :)), let's jump back to the main topic...

ShineVerb walkthrough episode 3 : The PRE-AF24 Unit

This section hosts the PRE-AF24 device and its controls. Placed at the pre-processing stage, the PRE-AF24 unit is an analogue preamplifier.

This device features an input signal router, a linear input gain control, an analogue overdrive circuit and a multi-mode analogue filter.

The input signal is first routed (and in some cases normalized).

Then, an analogue overdrive circuit (which can be also completely deactivated/bypassed) adds an analogue flavor to the incoming signals. If the drive control is set to +0dB, it will add just an analogue "presence" as it happens on legacy (70s-80s) analogue preamps' input connectors. If the drive control is raised up to +18dB, a gentle clipping gives way to a very aggressive distortion.

At last, before leaving the preamp (so entering the reverb unit itself) the signal is shaped by a 1-pole, analogue filter modeled adopting the zero-delay feedback approach. This multimode filter (it can behave as a low-pass or high-pass) cutoff has a wide frequency range, from 20Hz up to 20kHz.

...I forgot to mention (to avoid any misunderstanding) : ShineVerb will be available as a VST2, VST3, AU plugin for Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) and macOS (64-bit).

xhunaudio wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:01 pm @martinjuenke

Hi martinjuenke - or Martin (assuming it is your name :))

I would simply say that 32-bit softwares are defnitely *not* old, outdated, unusable, bad, etc. softwares. They are good *exactly* as 64-bit softwares are.

Today (and in the future too) any 32-bit software can easily be used on any 64-bit Host (OS/DAW) using a 32-64-bridge - no time-limited compatibility, it will work forever and so your projects. There are plenty of bit-bridges, they are very cheap (or freeware) and they let you accede to a galaxy of timeless, great plugins. Any modern studio should have one or more bit-bridges.
I don't want to make this thread about Iron Axe, but, a bridge is always another software layer, which requires extra processing power, and brings instability. There were dozens of plugins which were problematic with the Cubase bridge, and there is jBridge, which is problematic with several plugins as well (I already tried some which were unstable, crashed jBridge, or put out massive noise bursts, and crash the audio driver).

What you do with your plugins is totally up to you of course. But, arguing that 32-bit is fine in 2020 is a bit out of this world, to be honest. I'd even say that it's completely pointless to still develop 32-bit VST's.

chk071 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:15 pm I don't want to make this thread about Iron Axe, but, a bridge is always another software layer, which requires extra processing power, and brings instability. There were dozens of plugins which were problematic with the Cubase bridge, and there is jBridge, which is problematic with several plugins as well (I already tried some which were unstable, crashed jBridge, or put out massive noise bursts, and crash the audio driver).

What you do with your plugins is totally up to you of course. But, arguing that 32-bit is fine in 2020 is a bit out of this world, to be honest. I'd even say that it's completely pointless to still develop 32-bit VST's.
Hi,

there are several modern bridges (commercial or freeware) which...

EDIT : I deleted my (polite) replies to any off-topic (unmotivated) defiance.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Effects”