GSi VariSpeed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VariSpeed

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=47

VariSpeed is a new plugin that GSi offers free of charge to everybody. It's a
simulation of the WEM Copicat IC-400 Belt Drive VariSpeed model, the first tape echo
machine made by WEM with a DC capstan motor capable of changing speed, thus
varying the delay time. GSi VariSpeed replicates the hardware instrument “as is” with
all its pros and cons, without any additional feature except the fact that it is digital
and MIDI-controllable. This can be considered as the second chapter of a tribute to
the genius of Mr. Charlie Watkins that GSi began back in 2008 with the release of the
freeware “WatKat”, which was a simulation of the “Custom Copicat”.

https://youtu.be/IS2oKB1PoGs

Just saw this, seems like a cool delay. Already have GSi WatKat but probably need this one aswell :hihi:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up :tu:

Wavesfactory put one out recently.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Fantastic, authentic sounding plugin.

It's nice. Well worth having!

v1o wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:04 pm Wavesfactory put one out recently.
This Copicat copy is not a copy of the Copicat copied by Wavesfactory. Can't have too many Copicat copies but you need to make sure you know which Copicat is being copied.

http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/copicats.htm
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:03 am
v1o wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:04 pm Wavesfactory put one out recently.
This Copicat copy is not a copy of the Copicat copied by Wavesfactory. Can't have too many Copicat copies but you need to make sure you know which Copicat is being copied.

http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/copicats.htm
True its a different model that being emulated here.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

The plugin requires an internet connection to phone home, it won't work without one. If it can't connect to the home server, it attempts to check other websites (google, amazon, etc.) to see if you are blocking GSI specifically. If the GSI server is not available for whatever reason, this will not function.

Something to keep in mind if you put it in a project. If you value your privacy consider a VPN or not using this at all.

WHAT? :o

yellowmix wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:16 am The plugin requires an internet connection to phone home, it won't work without one. If it can't connect to the home server, it attempts to check other websites (google, amazon, etc.) to see if you are blocking GSI specifically. If the GSI server is not available for whatever reason, this will not function.

Something to keep in mind if you put it in a project. If you value your privacy consider a VPN or not using this at all.
Are you sure? I have played with it offline, though I haven't yet tried using it in a project. It seems to work without a connection.

Thank you for installing and using the GSi Software.

This is a freeware software. It's supplied "AS IS", there is no warranty and no
technical support. You can use it in your commercial music projects without
limitations, redistribute it under any form (web, magazine...) at NO charge
provided that the original archive is not altered. It is fully functional under
all of its aspects and no limitations of any kind are applied. The author may not
be held responsible for whatever may result as a consequence of its usage.

However, in order to use this software it's mandatory that the computer that runs
this software is connected to the internet and can reach the GSi website. The
software will occasionally gather non-sensitive information about your computer's
specifications (cpu, ram, screen, etc.) for the sole statistical purposes.
We guarantee that no personal information will be gathered nor collected by GSi.
At the same time, a promotional screen may be shown with useful information about
other GSi products, offers, or news worth checking out.

GSi grants you a limited non-exclusive license to use freeware downloadable for
personal, educational, charity, and commercial use, and donations are welcome and
entirely optional. If you are using the SOFTWARE free of charge under the terms of
this Agreement, you are not entitled to support although we will respond to support
requests in case a real problem arises while using our software.

Our freeware is licensed to you in accordance with the terms and conditions of this
Agreement. You represent and warrant that you will not violate any of the
requirements of this Agreement and further represent and warrant that:

- You will not, and will not permit others to:
(I) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, derive the source code of, modify, or
create derivative works from our freeware, or
(II) copy, distribute, publicly display, or publicly perform content contained in
this freeware other than as expressly authorized by this Agreement.

- You will not use our freeware to engage in or allow others to engage in any illegal
activity.

- You will not sell our freeware or charge others for use of it (either for profit or
merely to recover your media and distribution costs) whether as a stand-alone product,
or as part of a compilation or anthology, without explicit prior written permission.

- You will not use our freeware to engage in any activity that will violate the rights
of third parties, including, without limitation, through the use, public display,
public performance, reproduction, distribution, or modification of communications or
materials that infringe copyrights, trademarks, publicity rights, privacy rights,
other proprietary rights, or rights against defamation of third parties.

By using this software you explicitly accept all the terms of this License Agreement.
First time I loaded it I got a splash screen that covered the entire GUI with this text. I'm guessing this would happen every time the mentioned check fails. For the offline people, the plug-in still worked after closing the splash screen, for what that is worth.

Collecting usage data is one thing, but pushing ads? Yeah, no thanks. I don't need another delay that badly.

edit: This end user license agreement text is also in the manual.

edit 2: Looks like this is also covered on the website FAQ. https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=support&q=98#Q98
The data collected includes exclusively the following items:
1. OS name and platform (x86 or x64)
2. Computer name
3. CPU vendor & model, number of cores, speed
4. Memory size
5. User name
6. Language and region
7. Screen resolution
I'm pretty sure user name would fall under personal data, maybe even computer name. Either of these could be used to indirectly identify an individual. The answer to how this information is stored doesn't inspire much confidence either.

I'm sure there is no malicious intent here, but this is a really bad look GSi.
Last edited by Dozius on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aaargh! I must have been online when I tried it and forgot. If this is the case, then I am uninstalling. I did not knowingly give permission for them to use my data because that licensing stuff is always so long, heavy and boring and I never read it and besides which, I resent companies insisting on such invasions before allowing use.

I am done with this developer since he went c/r after being awol for years. Not to mention the vb3 update price.

Damn, the EUL wasnt exactly upfront.
Theres no mention of the required internet connection on the product page
Uninstall for me
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

VariSpeed is available in the following formats:
– for Windows: VST2 x64, VST3 x64, Standalone x64
– for OSX: VST2 x64, VST3 x64, Audio Unit x64, Standalone x64

Windows:
– any Windows computer Windows 7 x64 or higher
– ASIO compatible sound card for low latency performance
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”