EQs and difference in weight and transient

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!!!

I would like to ask that question and not start a fight?
I just a musician who loves to mix but I do everything with all the technical knowledge. So that why I would like the help from more experienced guys.

Why different EQs have a huge difference in transient response and weight?

I tested those EQs with different materials (Different drums, guitars. electrics, bass and vocals) and here are my impressions:

DMG EQuilibrium - Perfect transients and weight. Horrible interface but I love the zoom capacity to remove whistles and resonances (just my opinion). Everything is a sub menu and it's very difficult to proper use without engineering knowledge

Maat Blue - Nice transients (second place) and good weight (also second place). Loved the graph to show the frequencies (I would love to know the name and if we have more EQs like that). Missing notch filter and higher Q values. VERY HEAVY.

FabFilter Pro-Q3 - REALLY good interface (first place but I would love to change the color). Not good transient and weight (comparing to the other 2 and yes, I tried all the modes). Weird auto gain behaviour (we should be able to remove high pass from it cause it get a huge bump).

I doing something wrong or those are the same experience from you all?

There's a EQ which gives me the transient and weight of DMG with better workflow and visuals?

Thank you all

You first would have to define "weight"!

MAAT publishes overpriced EQs based on 2005 Algorithmix technology. Their claims of superior sound quality have been debunked multiple times and their latest update to Blue EQ with the whole FiDef nonsense has been found to be completely trivial: they simply added a pink noise audio file as a dither and try to market this as some kind of revolutionary technology.

You are actually much better off using free version of TDR Nova!

Regarding transient response, yeah, Pro-Q3 isn't that great. I use Melda Auto dynamic EQ on percussive elements, cause it retains the transients much better.
GUI wise melda Auto dynamic EQ is OK, but Pro-Q3 is really good regarding workflow and overall gui layout
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

TB EQ4 is also worth to mention in this case.
https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_equalizer_v4.html
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Not clear what “weight” should mean either.
Then, are you sure that you have exactly the same curves when comparing? I found that especially with the Q-values, there’s no real consensus what the number means, e.g. a Q of 1 can result in different curves in different EQs, so that might skew the comparison.

Else, if it isn’t the frequency response, it can be the phase response that might be different.

You could try CraveEQ, which has a transparent phase mode. Gets a lot of praise.

how can a completely linear EQ affect the transients in any way, shape or form?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

As I said, I personally did those tests and the results are always clear and consistent (again, for me).
Melda plugins always scared me (Interface) but I'll give their EQ a try.
For the Blue EQ I didnt even know about this (technology). I tried cause I went to mix in a studio and they have some os his EQs and it did sound good comparing to FabFilters (pro-q2 on that time).
I Love TDR products but, to me, sound like the free nova introduce so sort of saturation (I could be completely wrong about it). I'll test it as an simple EQ like the others.
EQ4 I tried once but didnt bond with it (long time ago). I'll give it another try today.
Thanks guys.
Let's have options keep coming.

Hi Burillo,
As I said, it's all about perception and feel for me.
I was searching for the best tools cause I would like to get rid of the amount of issues and mix fast like end of 90's and early 2000's.
Again, I'm NOT technical that's why I'm asking questions and open to suggestions (I really would like to know why).
When I say affect the transient I'm not talking about it physically, I'm talking about it's perception.
If you know why or have any inputs on this, please go ahead an write cause I really would like to know!
Cheers,

Precise - & Insane - quality options should turn off the internal Non - Linearities, as far as I remember; in Nova GE at least.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Kazi7 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:03 am and their latest update to Blue EQ with the whole FiDef nonsense has been found to be completely trivial: they simply added a pink noise audio file as a dither and try to market this as some kind of revolutionary technology.
Do you have a source for this by chance?

Burillo wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:26 am how can a completely linear EQ affect the transients in any way, shape or form?
I guess the frequency-dependent phase response can change the character? I think people use all-pass filters for this.

fabaessa wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am As I said, I personally did those tests and the results are always clear and consistent (again, for me).
Did you do them as blind tests?
Otherwise it doesn't count (in my book) because of such things like confirmation bias.

fabaessa wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am . . . I Love TDR products but, to me, sound like the free nova introduce so sort of saturation (I could be completely wrong about it). I'll test it as an simple EQ like the others . . .
1) You need to check you're not using Precise + nor Insane + as those do introduce saturation. Use Precise, Insane or even Eco.

2) TDR NOVA uses oversampling to reduce Aliasing for the entire plugin, and this results in a slightly darker sound.

El°HYM wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 am Precise - & Insane - quality options should turn off the internal Non - Linearities, as far as I remember; in Nova GE at least.
Great...so I'm not crazy :)
Thank you for the info

heavymetalmixer wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:20 pm
fabaessa wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am . . . I Love TDR products but, to me, sound like the free nova introduce so sort of saturation (I could be completely wrong about it). I'll test it as an simple EQ like the others . . .
1) You need to check you're not using Precise + nor Insane + as those do introduce saturation. Use Precise, Insane or even Eco.

2) TDR NOVA uses oversampling to reduce Aliasing for the entire plugin, and this results in a slightly darker sound.
Thanks for the detail info!!!!

Return to “Effects”