EQs and difference in weight and transient

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I compared Equilibrium to ProQ3 earlier today. When I put it on the bass with a boost, it sounded weightier. Thicker. And then I loaded it into Plugin Doctor and found that the Q is merely different than ProQ3, where on the DMG Q1 = ProQ3 = 1.4. I adjusted and... it sounded the same to me thereafter, only with poor usability and appearance in comparison. I'll try more complex EQ moves, but, color me skeptical that it's any better than ProQ3 (it's certainly harder to use).

I've yet to find better overall than ProQ3. It just works, is easy to use, and is easy on the eyes. I want my EQ to do what it says how it says and be easy to work with. I don't seem to care about filter this, parallel that, etc. I'm not a professional mixer, so maybe I'd need to be one to tell the difference between ProQ3 and MAAT EQs Orange is the new Blue or whatever, for example.

Equilibrium and ProQ3 are out of my price range for a digital EQ. How do SSL Native X-EQ 2, Toneboosters EQ4 and Crave EQ compare to each other?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:09 pm Equilibrium and ProQ3 are out of my price range for a digital EQ. How do SSL Native X-EQ 2, Toneboosters EQ4 and Crave EQ compare to each other?
Have you tried TDR NOVA? It has paid and free versions.

heavymetalmixer wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:55 am
v1o wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:09 pm Equilibrium and ProQ3 are out of my price range for a digital EQ. How do SSL Native X-EQ 2, Toneboosters EQ4 and Crave EQ compare to each other?
Have you tried TDR NOVA? It has paid and free versions.
Yeah I have that one, I only use it as dynamic EQ for buses rather than a standard track EQ. I also have Slick EQ GE. I probably don't need another EQ but the SSL EQ is on sale for a short time.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:17 am I compared Equilibrium to ProQ3 earlier today. When I put it on the bass with a boost, it sounded weightier. Thicker. And then I loaded it into Plugin Doctor and found that the Q is merely different than ProQ3, where on the DMG Q1 = ProQ3 = 1.4. I adjusted and... it sounded the same to me thereafter, only with poor usability and appearance in comparison. I'll try more complex EQ moves, but, color me skeptical that it's any better than ProQ3 (it's certainly harder to use).

I've yet to find better overall than ProQ3. It just works, is easy to use, and is easy on the eyes. I want my EQ to do what it says how it says and be easy to work with. I don't seem to care about filter this, parallel that, etc. I'm not a professional mixer, so maybe I'd need to be one to tell the difference between ProQ3 and MAAT EQs Orange is the new Blue or whatever, for example.
Equilibrium in its default IIR configuration nulls out with Pro-Q. Higher quality DSP features are in the setup menu, some of which targeted at mastering engineers. I really like the emulated analog circuits and the ability to configure the GUI, which can be saved in a preset. Some of the shipping presets take advantage of this to mimic the sound and interface of various hardware units.

What “higher quality” dsp features are you talking about

Ploki wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 am What “higher quality” dsp features are you talking about
https://youtu.be/b80-NUcdHoA

Well "more configurable" =! higher quality.
Not shitting on equilibrium at all, but when you're one step away from designing filter response in MatLab...
Is MatLab + Max which can produce literally ANY EQ shape possible in the digital domain higher quality than FabFilter?

Return to “Effects”