DDMF acquires ERS

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRist
125 posts since 1 Aug, 2004 from Germany

Post Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:16 am

fese wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:01 am
For the Dimension D, I kinda prefer the SkNote one (DDD), seems a bit more lush and keeps the transients (although you got to be careful when comparing because the DDD is much louder). Never laid eyes on an original, so it's just personal taste.
Which version of DimD do you use? The first version from DDFM (1.3.0) sounds way different than the latest ERS version (1.2.0), and not for the better I might add. The main difference is that 1.3.0 sounds more "smeared" and obvious compared to the more subtle sound of previous versions. Hence transients are better preserved in the older version which is the sound you're after. No idea why Christian changed the sound as it was perfect as it was.

PS: To those who have both versions feel free to either confirm or falsify my observation.

KVRAF
1639 posts since 14 Sep, 2004 from $HOME

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:59 am

Rat 41 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:16 am
fese wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:01 am
For the Dimension D, I kinda prefer the SkNote one (DDD), seems a bit more lush and keeps the transients (although you got to be careful when comparing because the DDD is much louder). Never laid eyes on an original, so it's just personal taste.
Which version of DimD do you use? The first version from DDFM (1.3.0) sounds way different than the latest ERS version (1.2.0), and not for the better I might add. The main difference is that 1.3.0 sounds more "smeared" and obvious compared to the more subtle sound of previous versions. Hence transients are better preserved in the older version which is the sound you're after. No idea why Christian changed the sound as it was perfect as it was.

PS: To those who have both versions feel free to either confirm or falsify my observation.
I tried the version I downloaded a few days ago from ddmf, presumably 1.3. Never tried the old ERS version.
In my comparison, the DimD sounds even less subtle than the DDD, which just doesn’t smear the transients as much (maybe that’s actually what makes it appear less subtle).

KVRist

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:05 am

fese wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:59 am
I tried the version I downloaded a few days ago from ddmf, presumably 1.3. Never tried the old ERS version.
In my comparison, the DimD sounds even less subtle than the DDD, which just doesn’t smear the transients as much (maybe that’s actually what makes it appear less subtle).
That's what I meant. I haven't tried DDD, but I guess that DimD 1.2.0 would sound about the same like DDD.

KVRAF
4188 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:28 am

i imagine anyone having both versions would be able to null them against each other and put the guesswork to rest?
From Russia with love
Our online jams (if you speak Russian - you're welcome to join!)

KVRAF
32625 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:32 am

Very happy that DDMF is taking over. Got my ERS Dim D activated and purchased the 250 now that I feel the project is in good hands.
Hi-de-Hi!

KVRAF
8383 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:01 am

My first reactions were "Great! I can finally check these out!" Then I did, and I found the DimensionD just didn't sound as wide or as good to me as the Arturia version. The EMT250 sounded way less diffuse than the UAD version at some settings (like small rooms), and pretty close on others. But I ultimately preferred the UAD each time, except where they were so close it didn't matter. Modern mode on the DDMF/ERS version sounded pretty interesting. I just don't use the 250 enough to justify having another. I'm still glad these are going to be updated and developed further.

Thanks to Christian and Harry - I'm sure existing ERS customers are thrilled along with all the potential new ones!

KVRist
339 posts since 8 Jun, 2009

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:13 am

An important feature for me, compared to the UAD version which I also have, is the surround capability of ERS 250

KVRist

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:40 am

Burillo wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:28 am
i imagine anyone having both versions would be able to null them against each other and put the guesswork to rest?
No need for that. The difference is like day and night.

Meanwhile I got an answer from Christian (DDMF):
"yes, Harrie was working on some adjustments before he handed over the code to me... which will ultimately improve the sound, but it just wasn't finished yet. I have just uploaded v1.3.1 which, soundwise, should correspond to an earlier version. I hope you like it better!"

1.3.1 does improve the sound (the smearing is mostly gone), but it still doesn't sound as wide as it did before especially in the 4th mode. There seems to be a high cut filter on the wet signal now, which wasn't there before.

KVRist
385 posts since 13 Jun, 2006 from Cornwall, UK

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:37 pm

Another update from Christian at DDMF:

DimD 1.3.2 is now available for download from your user account, and this increases the width still further 8)

Just checked, and frequency response of the wet signal now also looks flat too :tu:

Martin

KVRAF
32625 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:05 pm

ERS_DimD (v1.3.2): Windows *** Mac
ERS_250 (v2.2.3): Windows *** Mac
Hi-de-Hi!

KVRist

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:16 am

MWSOS wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:37 pm
Another update from Christian at DDMF:

DimD 1.3.2 is now available for download from your user account, and this increases the width still further 8)

Just checked, and frequency response of the wet signal now also looks flat too :tu:

Martin
Yep, in fact it sounds like 1.2.0 did before! :clap:

Banned
144 posts since 16 Nov, 2020

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:22 am

The ERS EchORek2 sounded really bad to me.
wow, really bad? what is the matter with it?

if anyone owns Audiority, Overloud or Pulsar Echorec plugins, a quick comparison with DDMF on a guitar sample would be very welcome, thank you.

KVRAF
3008 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:53 am

Damn, I missed the intro sale on the 250.
That’ll teach me!

KVRAF
20705 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:58 pm

Sale over already? Oh, March 1st? That was.. uhm... rather short, in my opinion. I was on holiday at first, then busy with other stuff and now just about to make my mind up on it... :shrug:

"Quick quick - buy before it's gone!"

Nope!

KVRAF
4913 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:15 am

Will be back on sale latest Black Friday (then perhaps further improved).

Return to “Effects”