Sonarworks SoundID Reference

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uhh... don't know if this matters, maybe you can try this and see if it works:

If you still have SoundID Reference installed, you can find the full installer in the installation folder.
Copy it to your desktop, uninstall SoundID Reference (and preferably reboot) and then install it again using the full installer instead. And of course, make sure Reference 4 Systemwide isn't running when installing SoundID just to be safe.

I didn't actually use their downloader installer to install. It sucks they no longer offer full offline installers so I had to run the downloader installer in a virtual machine to then extract the full installer to install it on my actual system. Who knows maybe this is what made it work in my system. The reason I do that is because I'm not a fan of downloader bundle installers as they tend to mess up your system and offers little to none control over your installation options.

If that still doesn't work then maybe your system is missing some dependencies it needs (but fails to install) but that usually will throw up an missing dll error message box. If there isn't any then that's it. They probably didn't test their product enough, in as many different systems configurations and still went ahead to release it half-baked (actually I feel this is really the case). :roll:

Nope. They'd like me to pay them 89 bucks so I can beta test for them instead. FWIW, they once offered me to join their beta program but I turned them down because of the required use of the downloader installer.

Thanks a lot, I will remember this, but to be honest - I don't really feel like paying to be a beta tester either. There was a lot of back and forth with Sonarworks support and they were actually very responsive. They said they are currently working on a fix for this and I sent them all my log files. I'm happy to wait and try the demo when this is sorted and without having to jump through all those hoops. My set up works and that's what matters to me at the moment. WASAPI seems to have been the answer here.

I hope it fixes the crackling audio bug they have had problems with.

I bought the upgrade to Sound ID a couple weeks ago. I have to say that it seems kind of buggy. I've had multiple occasions where there is no sound until I quit Sound ID. I opened a support case. They are not very helpful. Reference 4 was pretty good, though still a bit buggy. Sound ID doesn't seem like it should have been released yet. Anyone having good results where it works all the time on systemwide?

Has Reference 4 (Headphones in my case) been obsoleted now or will it continue to be updated?

I don't think they are doing any updates. Sound ID is basically Reference 5.

By some strange coincidence, shortly after SoundID was released, I had to reinstall Reference4 every single day, because the volume of all the programs in Windows was constantly being turned down by 87% (and it has nothing to do with the "Safe headroom"). After a reinstall this behavior stops for about a day.
If it is, what I don't even want to think it is, it would truly be a new word in marketing.

I had used, but not bought, the previous version. This one seems super nice (dark mode <3) and the translation check is very useful

I run it on W10 in systemwide and with the virtual ASIO driver in Ableton. There are no problems so far. In Cubase it doesn't work with virtual ASIO but there I use the plugin in the control room chain which is ok.
I had a problem with missing signal if I switched manually but in automatic mode it works fine. It's also no problem have running the DAW and open a soundstream at the same time. It sends the audio signal over the correct output.

trmupstage wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:50 pm I bought the upgrade to Sound ID a couple weeks ago. I have to say that it seems kind of buggy. I've had multiple occasions where there is no sound until I quit Sound ID. I opened a support case. They are not very helpful. Reference 4 was pretty good, though still a bit buggy. Sound ID doesn't seem like it should have been released yet. Anyone having good results where it works all the time on systemwide?

That's good to hear that you have it working well. I've been hesitant to install it on the studio computer running Nuendo. Maybe I will give it a shot. Cubase and Nuendo are basically the same. I always use Reference 4 as a plugin. I've never been able to have Nuendo running and still be able to open a youtube video. They don't like sharing the audio output. Maybe this new version has a way that will work? Worth a try.
Roman76 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:35 am I run it on W10 in systemwide and with the virtual ASIO driver in Ableton. There are no problems so far. In Cubase it doesn't work with virtual ASIO but there I use the plugin in the control room chain which is ok.
I had a problem with missing signal if I switched manually but in automatic mode it works fine. It's also no problem have running the DAW and open a soundstream at the same time. It sends the audio signal over the correct output.

I wasn't able to install it and had all kinds of problems setting up Sonarworks Reference again afterwards (as was documented in this thread). At this point I'm pretty dependent on Sonarworks, I don't like listening to either my speakers or headphones without it anymore. So I have just been happy that it's working properly and I don't feel like I'm missing anything with SoundID. As far as I know the issues haven't been fixed, so I haven't considered upgrading since the launch and from what I'm reading, it doesn't seem like I'm missing that much..

I get the cracking audio bug every couple of days, sometimes multiple times a day. It can only be fixed by restarting my interface (apollo twin). It seems the issue has been going on for years, not limited to the apollo, and it's not been addressed with soundID. Customer service will just tell you its a new one to them. Ok....

That said, the product does it's job brilliantly. SoundID is no better than 4 to my ears, but 4 was great so whatever.

m-ac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:30 am I get the cracking audio bug every couple of days, sometimes multiple times a day. It can only be fixed by restarting my interface (apollo twin). It seems the issue has been going on for years, not limited to the apollo, and it's not been addressed with soundID. Customer service will just tell you its a new one to them. Ok....

That said, the product does it's job brilliantly. SoundID is no better than 4 to my ears, but 4 was great so whatever.
Reference 3 for me had almost no dropouts (not enough to notice). Reference 4 in my experience is somewhat stable up to 88.2 kHz, at 96 kHz it's a mess.

I'm hesitant to "upgrade" from Reference 4 Headphones to SoundID. Reference 4 Systemwide is reasonably stable (although I get short audio bursts of what I assume are buffer hang-overs between apps, and little ticks and clicks mostly on Windows Media Player) on my system and the VST plugin is rock solid -I don't know if SoundID will be an improvement or introduce more bugs.

I'm just digging this up because I use this every day and I've not had issues. However, I only run the vst in the listen bus in Studio One. Is it better to run the system version? I really don't know.

Return to “Effects”