Soothe 2 vs Gullfoss vs DS-EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DCrown wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:39 am Smooth Operator
How about you at least scroll through the replies, before posting off-topic?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

sengoku wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:12 am
MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:38 pm Yep - but it's not a spectral balancer/enhancer like TEOTE - so they have different purposes and both are very innovative and get quick results.
that's very true - i have gulfoss too which is something similar to teote. however i gotta say the amount of times i find myself using gulfoss is minimal compared to the number of days/weeks of manual eqing that soothe has already saved me :)
My findings too. I might even say I could live without TEOTE, but Soothe not so much. It has quickly become indispensable. From now on I'll only be automating individual EQ notches when I need to transparently duck a few wayward resonances... but for instruments that are highly resonant over a range of frequencies for large parts of songs, a few minutes fine-tuning Soothe and I can safely move on with the mix.

Soothe is expensive but I'm thinking the DAYS of my life I will get back in return is pretty valuable to my family and bandmates :lol:

which plugins are used most often?

all

Question folk

How compares smooth operator from baby audio to these marvellous but expensive plugins ...the good and the bad ?

Krakatau wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:28 am Question folk

How compares smooth operator from baby audio to these marvellous but expensive plugins ...the good and the bad ?
Have a search on YouTube "Smooth Operator vs Soothe". There are several videos about those two.
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

adl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:13 am
Krakatau wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:28 am Question folk

Have a search on YouTube "Smooth Operator vs Soothe". There are several videos about those two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWUbpueYUmM

thanks for the info, mate ! ...rather relevant on the topic

Ok thank you

Hi guys,
what about SonEQ 2? does anyone have experience?

Why is SonEQ2 relevant in context of dynamic spectral processors?

Everyone has great answers. I own Teote, Gullfoss, and Soothe 2. I also use Neutron Sculptor, MSpectralDynamics, and ProAudioDSP DSM V3. In summary, the way I use them is as follows:

Gullfoss - sheen on final mixes and to give me a second opinion where to boost/cut
Soothe 2 - targets harsh and distracting frequencies quickly
Teote - rebalances the spectrum with great flexibility (make the mix brighter/darker while maintaining balance)
Sculptor - like Gullfoss, but I use it on vocals
MSpectralDynamics - de-essing, flattening the spectrum, and miraculous for ducking frequencies...wow
ProAudioDSP DSM V3 - limiting and de-essing

Honestly, there is so much more to talk about regarding their functions but this is all the time I have. I hope this serves as some insight.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Mathematics wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:10 am Everyone has great answers. I own Teote, Gullfoss, and Soothe 2. I also use Neutron Sculptor, MSpectralDynamics, and ProAudioDSP DSM V3. In summary, the way I use them is as follows:

Gullfoss - sheen on final mixes and to give me a second opinion where to boost/cut
Soothe 2 - targets harsh and distracting frequencies quickly
Teote - rebalances the spectrum with great flexibility (make the mix brighter/darker while maintaining balance)
Sculptor - like Gullfoss, but I use it on vocals
MSpectralDynamics - de-essing, flattening the spectrum, and miraculous for ducking frequencies...wow
ProAudioDSP DSM V3 - limiting and de-essing

Honestly, there is so much more to talk about regarding their functions but this is all the time I have. I hope this serves as some insight.
undoubtely ... :tu:

Gullfoss and Soothes are most helpful intelligent plugins

one important difference between soothe2 and dseq3 is that they use different types of filters. if you throw material at these plugins that is somewhat in between the categories percussive and melodic, like vibraphones, it becomes clear that ds-eq uses filters that introduce pre-ringing artefacts. so it will sometimes sound like the vibraphones fade in rather than having a clear transient, similiar to something that would happen when you timestretch them in melodyne in polyphonic mode, or when using a really surgical linear phase eq, 2nd of which is probably what is happening. soothe2 however, i have no idea how, just doesn't do that. they just kinda got around it for some reason. i have to stress that this is only a technical issue. if you don't care about pre-ringing artefacts and just like ds-eq's workflow / sound more in most cases then why would you buy soothe2, right? it's just that i feel really safe about soothe2 because i know whatever i will throw at it, it might not always make it better, but at least it will never add a washed out flavour to it, because if i wanted that i'd personally probably use a reverb instead or something

sokoleski wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:00 pm There is also , SKnote's Soundbrigade , from which i get good results , now and then. Exxelent price as well.
It was indeed a very exciting little plugin...too bad that sknote did not upgrade it to apple silicon (yet ?)

Return to “Effects”