Gullfoss vs TEOTE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey i didnt want to hijack the topic before and i already have gullfoss and soothe2.
I use soothe2 mostly to tame frequencies on single channels and on master bus when too many frequencies are tedious and fiddly to manually adjust eqs ;) but depends on material of course.
And gullfoss i use mostly on the master bus lightly. I dont use it often on single channels, dunno why to tell the truth ;).

I love these 2 plugins, they are really great and help mostly, not just 1 click plugins but they ease some processes nicely.
So i got very interested here reading about TEOTE, i didnt know it, and i read that many dont use gullfoss cause of it. Why? What does it make better in your opinion than gullfoss? Where and when do you use it? Thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I own both and I think that they actually complement each other. Gullfoss has just a few controls and is a bit easier to use whereas with TEOTE, you can control pretty much everything which can be overwhelming. As you wrote, Gullfoss is best used lightly on the master bus as with higher values it can sound a bit unnatural. TEOTE works better at more drastic settings, smoother and more natural.
But you can definetely combine them, e.g. first Gullfoss for some overall clarity, “lifting the blanket”, which it does so well, then TEOTE with relatively few bands (5-10) for balance.
Gullfoss can work nice as a de-esser and in general on vocals, TEOTE is great for evening out an unruly bass guitar.

Check out this post by Ploki. I can't summarize it any better.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=563217&p=8072202#p8072202

In most instances, TEOTE just sounds better to me in the context of overall EQ and balancing. It's also much less expensive than Gullfoss if someone doesn't have either. The major 'downside' is that it has a much steeper learning curve (at least for me) with many more controls and things to get your head around. It took a good bit of time before I was satisfied and confident in what I was doing with it. In comparison, Gullfoss takes seconds to get results even as a relative novice to it.

I would spend some time with the demo. If you like Voxengo overall and can wait, he usually does a fantastic sale during the holidays where you can get the 'Premium Membership' for quite a deal, however there is a 15% off sale right now too.

Update: I sored the issue out. I didn't realize I had a track on record and it was forcing most of the processing to one core. Turned off record and now I have mutliple instances running at 2x @ 44k.

I am not very familiar with Voxengo plugins. I decided to demo TEOTE and Shinechilla. Both are too taxing on my CPU. Just one instance of either! I can run multiple AA Acqua's for example so it's a but confusing to me why the Voxengo plugins are so CPU heavy on my system. 2010 mac pro 12-core with Reaper 6. Oversampling is 1x on both. Is this normal for Voxengo?
Last edited by plexuss on Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sl1200mk2 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:27 pm Check out this post by Ploki. I can't summarize it any better.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=563217&p=8072202#p8072202

In most instances, TEOTE just sounds better to me in the context of overall EQ and balancing. It's also much less expensive than Gullfoss if someone doesn't have either. The major 'downside' is that it has a much steeper learning curve (at least for me) with many more controls and things to get your head around. It took a good bit of time before I was satisfied and confident in what I was doing with it. In comparison, Gullfoss takes seconds to get results even as a relative novice to it.

I would spend some time with the demo. If you like Voxengo overall and can wait, he usually does a fantastic sale during the holidays where you can get the 'Premium Membership' for quite a deal, however there is a 15% off sale right now too.
is TEOTE similar in practise to sonible's smart:eq live ?

plexuss wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:42 pm I am not very familiar with Voxengo plugins. I decided to demo TEOTE and Shinechilla. Both are too taxing on my CPU. Just one instance of either! I can run multiple AA Acqua's for example so it's a but confusing to me why the Voxengo plugins are so CPU heavy on my system. 2010 mac pro 12-core with Reaper 6. Oversampling is 1x on both. Is this normal for Voxengo?
No, that's not normal! TEOTE gets heavy with oversampling and even heavier in mid-side - but at 1x OS it doesn't compare to Acustica.

plexuss wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:42 pm I am not very familiar with Voxengo plugins. I decided to demo TEOTE and Shinechilla. Both are too taxing on my CPU. Just one instance of either! I can run multiple AA Acqua's for example so it's a but confusing to me why the Voxengo plugins are so CPU heavy on my system. 2010 mac pro 12-core with Reaper 6. Oversampling is 1x on both. Is this normal for Voxengo?
The 2010 12 Core Mac doesn't have the AVX instruction set. Speculating that the Voxengo might be optimized for it You can't even run Modo Drums on the 2010 Macs for example.

Scotty wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:03 am
The 2010 12 Core Mac doesn't have the AVX instruction set. Speculating that the Voxengo might be optimized for it You can't even run Modo Drums on the 2010 Macs for example.
I wonder how that works for the M1 chips?

I found the problem. I had a couple tracks in record-arm which was pushing all tracks onto the same CPU core. Once I disarmed TEOTE worked fine even with 4x OS. Interesting tool.... more experimentation needed...

fairlyclose wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:58 pm is TEOTE similar in practise to sonible's smart:eq live ?
I'm not familiar with this product, but at a very high level it's similar in that they both apply an overall dynamic EQ and try to balance the incoming signal. How you interact with the two is quite a bit different though. In terms of results, I can't tell you.

There is a spring discount going on at Voxengo until the end of April, probably gonna grab TEOTE finally.

dangayle wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:32 pm
I wonder how that works for the M1 chips?
TEOTE is Native and it works absolutely fine - i've bugged Alexey about performance and he implemented some M1 specific tricks to make it more efficient.

Shinechilla can be very cpu hungry, think it's also stated in the description.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:28 pm
Shinechilla can be very cpu hungry, think it's also stated in the description.
It is but I sorted out the CPU problem. I've been demoing them both in Reaper. I have a demo project with 3 instances of each all at 2x oversampling, project at 44k, and it runs smoothly.

From what i have heard teote is More of an eq balanciNg Tool (Similar to Smart:eq) whereas gullfoss‘ strenght seems to be unmasking and resonance taming (although teote claims to do the same).
Can anyone confirm this?

Return to “Effects”