Is the Small Stone Phaser Effect Possible with Logic Phaser?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been playing around with Logic's stock phaser to get the sound of the famous "Small Stone Phaser" used in, for example, JM Jarre's Oxygene album. I just cannot get that sweeping phasing effect from the stock phaser.

Am I doing something wrong with Logic's stock phaser? Or, do I need a 3rd party emulation like Fazortan 2 or Phaser Mistress?

Not sure if the phaser plug-in will get you there, but if not, try out the pedalboard. There are a few different phasers in there, one of them might do it for you.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Chrisk-K wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:13 am I've been playing around with Logic's stock phaser to get the sound of the famous "Small Stone Phaser" used in, for example, JM Jarre's Oxygene album. I just cannot get that sweeping phasing effect from the stock phaser.

Am I doing something wrong with Logic's stock phaser? Or, do I need a 3rd party emulation like Fazortan 2 or Phaser Mistress?
It can't hurt to try those, I guess.

Phasers are like filters. Quite different sounding, and very individual, and subjective.

If you have Reaktor, you can try the fantastic Eminent-V 310 ensemble in the user library. It contains (among other things) an emulation of the Small Stone Phaser. I don't have the original pedal or other emulations of it, but I have listened to Oxygene so much during my lifetime that the sound is very familiar to me, and I think the ensemble pretty much nails it. :D As a bonus, you also get other effects, and of course an emulation of the string sound itself. If you just want the phaser and to use it with other sources, it's pretty easy to extract it from the ensemble.

I just spent a moment trying to match Logic's phaser to the Reaktor phaser, and while it's certainly possible to match certain things (number of stages, frequency sweep range, etc) and get in the ballpark, it still seems to miss that last 25% of Magic. Below are the settings I tried which I think are kind of close to the Reaktor emulation (with the Color switch enabled), but it's certainly not the same.
Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 12.00.49.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I’ve also played with Logic’s three phaser stomp pedals. They don’t sound quite like the Small Stone. I’ll probably buy Fazortan 2.

Chrisk-K wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 pm I’ll probably buy Fazortan 2.
Also try their Godfazer.

And IK Multimedia also has the Small Phazer in AmpliTube and MixBox.

ArtsAcoustic BigRock.....It IS a Small Stone:

https://www.artsacoustic.com/artsacoustic_bigrock.php
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:22 pm ArtsAcoustic BigRock.....It IS a Small Stone:

https://www.artsacoustic.com/artsacoustic_bigrock.php
Just tiny and not actively being updated and crashes occasionally. But otherwise good! :hihi:

Return to “Effects”