Favorite granular effect?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
9239 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:53 am

Another cool one that can be used an effect is Imaginando FMRS, which is actually a granular/FM synth, but can take live input. Also works on desktop and iOS.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRAF
32666 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:54 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:53 am
Another cool one that can be used an effect is Imaginando FMRS, which is actually a granular/FM synth, but can take live input.
Didn't realise that - thanks

addled muppet weed
82482 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:24 am

now it might be nebulae

KVRist
245 posts since 12 Mar, 2005

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:32 am

Anyone have an opinion on Remnant ?

KVRAF
4224 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:57 pm

ohdoubleu wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:35 am
I'm all for people getting the features they need for their workflows, so hopefully UA will add some scale quantisation features to Silo, but I've always treated granular processing as a little like using a tape delay or a pre-digital outboard effect: somewhere to inject a little unpredictability and to make some happy mistakes.

Though, saying that, there is a ton of music that I like that uses more precise and quantised granular processing, but I always - and maybe wrongly - thought that those parts were edited down from longer sessions as audio. Maybe it's just the devices I use, but I kind of assume that no two passes through with the same MIDI will have the same outcome, so rendering directly to audio is the best solution .
I could have made this post!
Silo could be taken to the next level with a few 'musical' features like that. As it is, its great but limited in its wildness.
I too am hearing music that I can barely explain, even while I am SO close to the processes I know for sure must be generating the sounds. Its been driving me a bit crazy.
Silo and Portal are kind of the only tools Im using that are now showing me a tiny glipse of what is maybe going on in this music. I do think there is a lot of recording and editing, but the magic I think is in starting with "live" grains.
ImageImageImageImage

KVRAF
2128 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:24 am

highkoo wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:57 pm
ohdoubleu wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:35 am
I'm all for people getting the features they need for their workflows, so hopefully UA will add some scale quantisation features to Silo, but I've always treated granular processing as a little like using a tape delay or a pre-digital outboard effect: somewhere to inject a little unpredictability and to make some happy mistakes.

Though, saying that, there is a ton of music that I like that uses more precise and quantised granular processing, but I always - and maybe wrongly - thought that those parts were edited down from longer sessions as audio. Maybe it's just the devices I use, but I kind of assume that no two passes through with the same MIDI will have the same outcome, so rendering directly to audio is the best solution .
I could have made this post!
Silo could be taken to the next level with a few 'musical' features like that. As it is, its great but limited in its wildness.
I too am hearing music that I can barely explain, even while I am SO close to the processes I know for sure must be generating the sounds. Its been driving me a bit crazy.
Silo and Portal are kind of the only tools Im using that are now showing me a tiny glipse of what is maybe going on in this music. I do think there is a lot of recording and editing, but the magic I think is in starting with "live" grains.
I agree. Despite how I tend to sue these things myself, added options and extra flexibility is always a good option.

Return to “Effects”