Phonolyth (Yuri Turov) releases Velvet Machine

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Velvet Machine

What a totally brilliant plugin!! :party: :love: :tu:

First time I used it. Had a quick read through the manual.... a quick one to pick up any important points... just couldn't wait any longer to play :hyper:

Stuck it on a send for a track I had started which has a TB-303, TR-606, TAL J-8 and Exonic-UK MegaHertz mono synth parts. Then had a play with the send levels and really liked what I heard. Sent the synths and 606 snare to it, put an IK MultiMedia MixBox HP and LP filter before Velvet on the send as I needed to have some control over what was going into it (needed to reduce the low and high end). Tweaked Velvet's envelope adding another 7 points to create a kind of rhythmic effect with the TIME setting and PREDELAY set to SYNC mode. Added automation lanes for all the MixBox filter controls plus added automation lanes for Velvet's Density and Time controls. Started with Density at 1000ips at the start of the track for a fuller reverb effect and then, with automation, reduced it to 8ips and then another change to 16ips for a sparser delay like effect later in the track. Had TIME set at 1/2. (dotted) then automated to 1/8 near the end of the track to where it was a sparser delay effect. Also used automation to control the MixBox's cutoff, resonance and envelope depth settings. I know it sounds daft, of course what you send into a plugin effect affects how it sounds, but this is really, really true for Velvet. And it's one of the things I really like about Velvet:- the variety of sounds you can get from it and how you can morph this sound by both automating an effect going into it (such as a filter before it on a send) and then further morph the sound by automating Velvet's own parameters.

No issues at all. Great fun to use with a nice, simple GUI. Definitely an effect that I will use with automation plus other effects, especially a filter before and, possibly, a delay after. Be good to use with a side chained (drums) compressor or filter after it.

CPU showed as 0.0% in Reaper v5 (I guess Velvet's CPU use is just too low to measure. MixBox (using 2 filter modules), just before it on the send channel, is showing as 0.1%). Buffer 1024ms at 88.2kHz

Pretty much a perfect plugin. Cheap. Easy and fun to use. Unique in that I don't have anything that does what Velvet does and that is so inspirational. Thankyou Yuri :love: :tu:
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

That´s one wonderful space machine! What a lovely thing. Thanks a lot for that, turov. <3

plexuss wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:18 am UPDATE: I had inadvertently set Reaper to 128 buffer @96k which makes sense why Phonolyth would overload the CPU. When I set it to 512 or higher I get no audio dropouts.

Original post: Nice at 44.1k but at 96k it outputs grime like what a CPU over-loaded plugin sounds like. However the CPU meters are not showing any sign of over-load. 2010 macpro 12 core macPOS 10.13 Reaper 6.

Can't justify a purchase unless it works at 96k so hopeuflly something that can be fixed...
mate id love to hear that grime
find free samples and presets at
:troll: https://fatpassfilter.com

Love that, instantly had to buy it. Two suggestions for the UI though. I can't see the dB lines at all unless I move my eyes to about 10 cm to the screen. They need to have much higher contrast. And I could imagine to label the time axis with some values. Either in seconds/ms or beats...

Velevetmachine is not showing up ( it's located in the correct vst 3 common files folder on windows )
Could you tell me which version of microsofot redistributable is used ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Thanks a ton for all the positive feedback here! :hyper:

plexuss wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 pm My mistake. I had Reaper set at 128 buffer so no wonder it as overloading the CPU. IF I set it to 512 or greater @96k it works fine. I updated my post below. Thanks!

I can run 8 instances with Microtonic as an input with only minor audio glitches @96k @512 buffer, no glitching @1024 buffer FYI
Great, very glad to hear it's OK and thanks for the update!

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:35 am Love that, instantly had to buy it. Two suggestions for the UI though. I can't see the dB lines at all unless I move my eyes to about 10 cm to the screen. They need to have much higher contrast. And I could imagine to label the time axis with some values. Either in seconds/ms or beats...
Thanks for the suggestions! My reasoning for the current envelope UI was that I feel Velvet Machine is not the kind of surgical tool that benefits much from that degree of precision, but I guess more prominent guides won't hurt (especially for time values) :)

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:15 am Velevetmachine is not showing up ( it's located in the correct vst 3 common files folder on windows )
Could you tell me which version of microsofot redistributable is used ?
It's statically linked, so no MS redistributable is required. Let's try to find out what's going on. I've sent you a PM.

Did I already mention, that this idea is absolutely brilliant? Reading up on Velvet Noise is fun as well. Gives a bunch of related ideas easily. I have to fire up Max again and start experimenting...
A delay with 2000 taps - crazy, and I thought 64 is plenty... You should up it to 2048 just to confuse tech heads...

It’s the closest equivalent to “blur” in audio i ever tried

Looks really cool! Seems a bit like 112dB's 'Mikron Cascade'. Good price - when does the sale end?

MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:49 pm when does the sale end?
june 1st

viewtopic.php?p=8112237#p8112237

Try running mutliple instances in parallel - lots of fun. You can dial in a lot of itneresting rythmic swells where one instance excites the next and so on.

Oh and you are the Xynthesizr dev! Wow... I love Xynthesizr but I just can't work with iOS with my desktop studio - I'd love to see Xynthesizr as a plugin!

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.46.19 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger. Seems to be a pretty original effect. Can Ableton's Hybrid Reverb, (or another VST) achieve comparable results?

XkaliberMoose wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:17 am Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger. Seems to be a pretty original effect. Can Ableton's Hybrid Reverb, (or another VST) achieve comparable results?
You can probably get somewhat similar effects in MGranular, but not quite. Maybe Supermassive could get you in the neighborhood. It’s like occupying some space between granular and reverb. For $16 it’s really just something you should get.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

XkaliberMoose wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:17 am Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger. Seems to be a pretty original effect. Can Ableton's Hybrid Reverb, (or another VST) achieve comparable results?
No, they miss the MSEG... You would need to accompany it with delays or such...

Small request if possible. Include a visual marker that swipes a cross the MSEG box. So we can visually see how fast the envelope is. Also, MIDI retrigger and one shot options would be nice.

Return to “Effects”