Phonolyth (Yuri Turov) releases Velvet Machine

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Velvet Machine

Nice plugin, indeed. But it is a shame that the MSEG points I create are not visible to my DAW and thus can not be automated/modulated.

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:41 pm Did I already mention, that this idea is absolutely brilliant? Reading up on Velvet Noise is fun as well. Gives a bunch of related ideas easily. I have to fire up Max again and start experimenting...
A delay with 2000 taps - crazy, and I thought 64 is plenty... You should up it to 2048 just to confuse tech heads...
Yeah, hats off to Hanna Järveläinen, Matti Karjalainen and all the other researchers investigating the topic!

plexuss wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:31 am Oh and you are the Xynthesizr dev! Wow... I love Xynthesizr but I just can't work with iOS with my desktop studio - I'd love to see Xynthesizr as a plugin!
Thanks! I'd love to make it some day :)

SeeingInMidi wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:26 am Small request if possible. Include a visual marker that swipes a cross the MSEG box. So we can visually see how fast the envelope is. Also, MIDI retrigger and one shot options would be nice.
I think you may be mixing up the role of the envelope here with its role in a synth. In Velvet Machine, the envelope is effectively applied to every sample of an incoming signal (indirectly, through multiplication with velvet noise). It's a continuous process. At each moment in time, each part of the envelope affects some part of the input signal. In a way, each input sample is a trigger for the envelope.
The kind of visualization applicable here is something similar to what sonible do in their smart:reverb. MIDI retrigger or one shot are irrelevant as far as I can see.
Does it make sense? :)

enCiphered wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:50 am Nice plugin, indeed. But it is a shame that the MSEG points I create are not visible to my DAW and thus can not be automated/modulated.
Thanks! When making this decision (while working on the original iOS version) I reckoned flooding the DAW with ~192 extra parameters for the 64 possible breakpoints would be too much. In retrospect, I would rather use a smaller number or breakpoints or at least make like 8 of them automatable.
It will probably have to stay the way it is for compatibility reasons, but it is something to consider for Velvet Machine 2...
Last edited by why.turov on Fri May 21, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fantastic plug in! (@why.turov) Please consider extending it to multichannel/surround capabilities.

I have installed it, but it has crashed Reaper and is not showing up in my other DAWs (Renoise, Bidule, Kushview Element). Anyone else have installation issues?

dreamvoid wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:33 pm Fantastic plug in! (@why.turov) Please consider extending it to multichannel/surround capabilities.
Thanks so much! I'll give it a thought.

bharris22 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:53 pm I have installed it, but it has crashed Reaper and is not showing up in my other DAWs (Renoise, Bidule, Kushview Element). Anyone else have installation issues?
Can you please let me know the OS and CPU model?

I love what this thing can do, but you do have to watch for stereo phase decorrelation with it, especially with longer decay times, and back down on the width as needed.

I also find that modulating the Predelay a bit can add some nice animation, if you have a very static drone going in for instance. For the most part it doesn't feel like it needs modulation to keep it from getting metallic or stale the way many reverbs do though, which I'm sure is why it isn't built in.

A little update on Velvet Machine not showing up or crashing the host (as reported by bharris22 and gentleclockdivider).

At the moment, this happens when the plugin is installed on a Windows machine with no AVX support - we mention this requirement on our website, but there is no AVX check in the installer or the plugin itself. We're going to improve on this in a update by either making it work without AVX, or at least making clear why it won't work.

For now, Windows users are advised to make sure their CPU supports AVX. Macs without AVX support are fine.

why.turov wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:01 pm We're going to improve on this in a update by either making it work without AVX,...
This please! :pray: I installed VM demo today and it doesn't show in my DAWs (older CPU without AVX here).

FYI - Yuri has sent me a different installer that will work on machines with older CPUs (such as mine). Not only that, he did it within an hour of me sending him the message. Fantastic customer service, and a truly beautiful-sounding plugin :).

bharris22 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:31 pm FYI - Yuri has sent me a different installer that will work on machines with older CPUs (such as mine). Not only that, he did it within an hour of me sending him the message. Fantastic customer service, and a truly beautiful-sounding plugin :).
Thanks!
This SSE-compatible build is going to be released soon as v1.2.1

I'm not normally into these type of fx since I do mostly acoustic music. But, I just bought it after trying it for a couple minutes. Very cool and well done.

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

noiseresearch wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:13 pm Velvet Machine 2? Already? :D
A nice feature (for v1 as well) would be to let the mseg 'snap' to time values when sync is on.
Not really, I was just have some ideas that might not work that well compatibility-wise :)
Good point about snapping, I'll give it a thought.

By the way,

Velvet Machine 1.2.1 update is now available on desktop, adding compatibility with older Windows machines that lack AVX support (such as pre Sandy Bridge Intel Core CPUs). If that doesn't concern you, feel free to skip it. Of course, the new demo is also available at https://phonolyth.com/products/velvet-machine.

If you've opted-in to product updates on checkout, the new download links should be in your inbox (but old links work as well).

---

If you enjoy Velvet Machine, please consider rating and reviewing it here on KVR to help others discover it: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/velvet ... -phonolyth

Return to “Effects”