Song Section Energy Levels (MixedInKey and others...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm starting to have concerns about the accuracy and legitimacy of the song section energy levels that MixInKey generate. I had a song with 4 bar clips and wanted to build energy throughout my song. Per MixedInKey, my song started of with a lot of energy, but then died down. So, I reordered the clips according to the MixedInKey results and rerendered the song and imported the song into MixInKey, only to have the same results. Does anyone know of a better plugin/app to determine song section energy levels? Or possibly a plugin/App that can do some sort of clip analysis to count the number of notes and average velocity/loudness per clip?

Reading your post I'm assuming that you're using Mixed In Key's analysis tools to help with song writing. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I don't think relying on an algorithm is a good way to improve your skills in this regard. Try developing your listening skills by manually analysing tracks that you know are effective in doing what you're trying to achieve. Use a pen and paper if you have to. "Energy" isn't necessarily something an algorithm can quantify - so there's no substitute for listening skills here :tu:

As a musician, I agree, but there has to be an algorithm for it. All things being equal, more notes would IMO have more energy than fewer notes; higher amplitude would IMO have more energy than lower amplitude. Then some subjective determination of what types of timbres have more energy than others could be used. For example, drums create more energy than flutes, electric guitars produce more acoustic, saw waves have more energy than sine waves, etc. At any rate, I hear you and agree ultimately it should be our ears. J

Return to “Effects”