Who loves Subscription Only updates to iZotope products?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

0degree wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:02 pm
crickey13 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:59 am
martinjuenke wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:32 am I love the subscription, because it helped me to decide to finally delete iZotope from my workflow.
Same. :hihi:

Thank you Izotope.
:lol:
In case you did not already find this:

viewtopic.php?p=8140937

We are having a little discussion on which tools to pick when replacing Ozone.

Anyone know what to replace RX Mouth Declick module with?

In general I've no real problem with subs, so long as they keep the option to buy and upgrade, etc. There's no real reason they couldn't do this, but instead they have basically screwed over their long time purchasers instead of keeping both camps happy.

I've invested lots in Izotope, but the only thing I'll really miss is RX8 Advanced (as I use it professionally). Ozone Advanced is great but I've a million plugins that I can set up in a chain.

I'll find a replacement for RX. And as far as I'm concerned, Izotope are as dead as a dodo to me. Not another cent will they ever get. :)

Ploki wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:22 am
ZargonTheMagnificent wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 pm I don't mind subscriptions, but what really baffles me is why Izotope have made the subscription versions NOT compatible with the normal versions. If your buddy has a subscription and sends you a mix/project, the normal versions will not open in your daw. Really wierd choice imo.
never even thought of that. Any collab = coercion into sub.
To be absolutely fair to izotope, they have always and continue to look after me very well, so I'm not going to complain too much about the issue with non-compatible versions apart from to say that it is (IMO) a weird choice.

Ultimately though, although I work collaboratively all the time, most people probably don't, so this issue isn't going to be a problem for 99% of people.

ZargonTheMagnificent wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:51 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:22 am
ZargonTheMagnificent wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 pm I don't mind subscriptions, but what really baffles me is why Izotope have made the subscription versions NOT compatible with the normal versions. If your buddy has a subscription and sends you a mix/project, the normal versions will not open in your daw. Really wierd choice imo.
never even thought of that. Any collab = coercion into sub.
To be absolutely fair to izotope, they have always and continue to look after me very well, so I'm not going to complain too much about the issue with non-compatible versions apart from to say that it is (IMO) a weird choice.

Ultimately though, although I work collaboratively all the time, most people probably don't, so this issue isn't going to be a problem for 99% of people.
To me, the provocative thing was this: they wrote about an update that would take care of certain situations when the result was too boomy (or something). The update - or the fix in my opinion - is only available to subscribers, not to those customers who (as opposed to subscribers) have already paid all requested money for the product. That's two faults in one sentence. ;)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

The loss-leader graveyard software collection by iZotope
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ion-Bundle

Some great plugins that will never see future development.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I’m not much of a subscription person myself, but, bought software is the item you bought when you paid, not the update you think may happen, then add on the fact that you never actually bought the software anyway (go read the EULA) and all these moans and groans seem silly.
Izotope never did you any favours until they abandon an item, yep that’s right, when they abandon Trash2 and it was free or £5 in some deal, and never got any updates, but just works, that is when they did you a favour.
Up until then they charged on nearly a yearly basis for updates, and if you updated yearly it probably cost you way more than the subscription does now.
All the while, Trash2 still does what it did when you got it free or paid £5 for whatever garbage they put in the EULA (that isn’t actually legally binding anyway, so what was that £5 for?)

Nothing here is going to change, if people don’t subscribe, then products will stop being developed, they have already made this decision, they will not step back, that is not what investment firms do, this either works or technology will be broken down and sold off, and that includes NI too.

But what don’t people like here, Izotope, or subscription or just being pissed that they don’t get the new shiny shiny first?
Is Chris at Airwindows an arsehole for going subscription with his monthly patreon, or does that not count because you can just go and use his plugins for free anyway and not give a toss about the man having to live?

Izotope and NI are both dead compared to what they once were, not because of subscription, but because musician hobby becomes business becomes investment futures, and any time that happens, it is coffin time, Roli anybody?
Duh

It's about giving away your power and being at the whims of an uncaring giant. (e.g. Adobe)

Venezuela designers turn to piracy after Adobe announces it will cut service
Venezuelans desperately explored piracy workarounds on Tuesday to continue using Adobe programs after the software developer said it will cut access to its products for the country’s users, citing U.S. sanctions.
Subscriptions are yet another step away from being guaranteed to keep access to a product, with hardware and open source or unprotected software (Airwindows, Klanghelm...) being the opposite end of the spectrum.

bungle wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:02 am I’m not much of a subscription person myself, but, bought software is the item you bought when you paid, not the update you think may happen...
Well said in many respects. However, an important point - and the only thing iZotope's done that I truly disagree with (as you said, the're free to use whatever business model they want) - is that they tout the new update as a fix (something about tonal balance control not responding accurately to bass freqs) and then only provide the update for subscribers.

I mean: If I bought a new car, and there was something wrong with it, I'd expect the problem to be fixed by the car dealer. I really would.

Note to self: don't buy a car from iZotope, just because it looks shiny and classy. :lol:
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:32 pm
bungle wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:02 am I’m not much of a subscription person myself, but, bought software is the item you bought when you paid, not the update you think may happen...
Well said in many respects. However, an important point - and the only thing iZotope's done that I truly disagree with (as you said, the're free to use whatever business model they want) - is that they tout the new update as a fix (something about tonal balance control not responding accurately to bass freqs) and then only provide the update for subscribers.

I mean: If I bought a new car, and there was something wrong with it, I'd expect the problem to be fixed by the car dealer. I really would.

Note to self: don't buy a car from iZotope, just because it looks shiny and classy. :lol:
I agree with your point exactly. Also agree I never want to buy a car from iZotope :)
Bitwig Certified Trainer

New topic idea: Which plug-in developer would you buy a car from?

Ah, it would all just be U-he again...

bungle wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:02 am Nothing here is going to change, if people don’t subscribe, then products will stop being developed, they have already made this decision, they will not step back, that is not what investment firms do, this either works or technology will be broken down and sold off, and that includes NI too.
Not true - in case of PA the full subscription mode was stopped in the middle becauae people complained a lot and that's why we have this dual model which is obviously better.
If people don't subscibe they will have to maintain existing model because they need money - simple as that.

attention ♥ wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:45 pm New topic idea: Which plug-in developer would you buy a car from?

Ah, it would all just be U-he again...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Easy. I would buy it from www.2getheraudio.com, as every car, regardless of list price, could be bought for ten bucks. :D
Go MuLab!

FWIW I have Neutron Standard and was about to invest in Ozone, but will not now. Too nervous about the whole subscription direction.

i have a great idea for a business model for izotope (additional to subscription).
maybe they should make their software license so everytime you use their product on a song, they automatically get 5% of royalties!

Maybe even "organ donor" cards where you can leave your body to izotope if you die

Return to “Effects”