Softube Tape Echoes released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:47 am I think I now get what you mean - I thought you were talking about the saturation, which is really much tamer on the Softube one than Valhalla Delay can be (while having a similar character, albeit ever so slightly slightly darker than the Tape Modes of V Delay) - but yes, as SonicDimension mentioned thanks to the included Spring Reverb you get dubby tones out of it which you can't get out of V Delay itself, flexible as it may ever be.
Yeah, just meaning that reggae vibe being an obvious trick this could do. And yes, the saturation is just a bit more mushy and grungier sounding (to me). Valhalla has a nice saturation, but it's pretty clean.

I also think this Softube has a better UI than Valhalla. The Tape Echo type slider looks really fun to use and the interface seems pretty hands on and laid out with the controls you probably want to use/automate more being more prominent. Looks fun!

I actually think Valhalla could improve their form factor, they are a perhaps a bit guilty of form/design over function. I think it's laid out more in a set and forget style - than to be hands on to automate. Just my opinion, but I think they could make it more 'fun' quite easily.

intro price lasts till 15th July according to Softube support

_leras wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:47 am
Yeah, just meaning that reggae vibe being an obvious trick this could do. And yes, the saturation is just a bit more mushy and grungier sounding (to me). Valhalla has a nice saturation, but it's pretty clean.
Oh, but it clearly isn't - the Valhalla drive can boost up to 24dB. The Softube one goes to ten, and when seeking ot match it with V Delay, it indeed seemed to be around a ten dB boost. The Softube one really only does mild saturation, while the Valhalla drive can really almost reach into distortion territory.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:51 am
_leras wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:47 am
Oh, but it clearly isn't - the Valhalla drive can boost up to 24dB. The Softube one goes to ten, and when seeking ot match it with V Delay, it indeed seemed to be around a ten dB boost. The Softube one really only does mild saturation, while the Valhalla drive can really almost reach into distortion territory.
You're right that the Valhalla goes right up to distortion! I guess I never use it that high.

So I ran test and just put a simple 1/16 delay on an off beat chord. I think the Softube one sounds really great. The saturation IS mushier and has a soft 'natural' grungeness to it. It starts to sounds a bit weird when you push it too high.

I was able to get a close ish sound on the valhalla, but it didn't sound as nice.

Now when you want to play with the delay times, softube really acts like a real tape and it sounds great, and when you turn up the feedback it has a really lush 'real' tape style feedback. Probably can't push it too much as the feedback has it's own flavour - a good one though! The hands on playability of this thing is fantastic - though not everyone will need that in a delay though.

I'm really excited to use the softube going forwards. It has the quality of the UAD Space Echo, and a more playable interface - but with it's own sound.

Valhalla Delay you can't slide around between the delay times, so you can't compare that, but you can compare the feedback, and the valhalla feedback sounds really scratchy and actually a bit horrible and maybe even a bit 'sh1te' next to the softube delay. Blah, I don't think I'll be able to unhear that now.... and hadn't really come across it in a lot of use of Valhalla delay over the past year... maybe it blends well in a busier mix, I've mostly used Valhalla Delay for pretty basic stuff.

I’ll probably get it, just to mess with it inside Modular. Their stuff really does sound great.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

What a really nice and unique delay effect!

:D

Softube somehow knows how to boil down stuff to controls that are actually useful and calibrate them so its nearly impossible to make it sound bad.
Aside weiss, i like their “nonmodelled” stuff the most

Ploki wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:54 am Softube somehow knows how to boil down stuff to controls that are actually useful and calibrate them so its nearly impossible to make it sound bad.
Aside weiss, i like their “nonmodelled” stuff the most
That describes the Tape Echoes pretty well I think. Lots of sweet spot.

Perhaps limited range as a result - but that's fine - I'll reach for it for it's sound and know it will always sound great!

This is a Softube thread, so I'm not going to mention that NastyDLA is available as 64bit now and thus basically obliterates the need for any other similar delay plugins....

oh wait, I just did. :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:30 pm This is a Softube thread, so I'm not going to mention that NastyDLA is available as 64bit now and thus basically obliterates the need for any other similar delay plugins....

oh wait, I just did. :hihi:
No problem, we all already bought the Softube thing and are quite happy with it :tu:

This thing is so delayed, it has even two threads:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=567925
Wow!

The pric tag isn't exactly wow. More flutter. :lol:

But it's sooooo really dirty! You know what I mean!

Return to “Effects”