Black Rooster Audio sale, all their plugs at $29

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pixel85 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:11 pm
plexuss wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:08 pm
pixel85 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:57 pm I was interested in la3a then I saw comparison to hardware and BRA sounded the least similar from the list of a few plugins. Absolutely nothing from the character of original unit was in BRA la3a. Even CLA sounded closer to the hardware 🤷🏻‍♂️
Doesnt matter to me. I could care less if a plugin sounds like hardware its based on. I just care if it sounds good and will be useful to me. But thanks for sharing your opinion and approach. I guess if you need a plugin to copy the hardware then yes i can understand the issue.
Well if I want compression plugin that sounds like basic compressor then I can use native DAW compressor. Nice GUI is not enough to deceive me to buy another basic compressor. I have more than enough of the samey plugins thanks to stupid GAS ;)
Well, maybe turn on the GAS because the BRA 3A is not a "basic compressor" (whatever that is). In the video you posted, the guy points out it has the correct 2 stage release but the initial stage is releeasing slower than his hardware. He said earlier on that there are variations in the 4B modules that can result in different timing across units. His analysis was that the BRA is like the hardware except that it's slow 1st stage release supresses ambiance more than the hardware and hence sound more "dry" and recommended it if that was a sound you were after.

If you are saying you are looking for a plugin that sounds like the guy's hardware, ok, I get it. But you seem to be comcluding that the BRA is no better than a "basic compressor" (whatever that is). I think you are missing a lot here. But, then again, we have to do what we can to avoid GAS. In this case, perhaps just say "no" to a purchase and not bother with the attempt at rationale. :)

pixel85 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:57 pm I was interested in la3a then I saw comparison to hardware and BRA sounded the least similar from the list of a few plugins. Absolutely nothing from the character of original unit was in BRA la3a. Even CLA sounded closer to the hardware 🤷🏻‍♂️
Doesnt matter to me. I could care less if a plugin sounds like hardware its based on. I just care if it sounds good and will be useful to me. But thanks for sharing your opinion and approach. I guess if you need a plugin to copy the hardware then yes i can understand the issue.
Well if I want compression plugin that sounds like basic compressor then I can use native DAW compressor. Nice GUI is not enough to deceive me to buy another basic compressor. I have more than enough of the samey plugins thanks to stupid GAS ;)
It’s a great sounding compressor. There’s no “trick”. I don’t care about hardware emulation on this as long as it sounds good - and it definitely does! I have dozens of other compressors and none of them sound like this one. I’m also pretty good about not buying things that do sound the same, though.

But, again. If you’re looking for a 1:1 …..

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:13 am
It’s a great sounding compressor. There’s no “trick”. I don’t care about hardware emulation on this as long as it sounds good - and it definitely does! I have dozens of other compressors and none of them sound like this one. I’m also pretty good about not buying things that do sound the same, though.

But, again. If you’re looking for a 1:1 …..
I'm just looking for something that can do what my other plugins can't do and I don't hear anything in this one that could convince me to buy it. I bought enough plugins that I used only once because later "hype" faded away. If you know what I mean ;) But it's just me :)

pixel85 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:13 am I'm just looking for something that can do what my other plugins can't do and I don't hear anything in this one that could convince me to buy it. I bought enough plugins that I used only once because later "hype" faded away. If you know what I mean ;) But it's just me :)
obviously almost any plugin recommendation always comes with a caveat of, "it's a great plugin if you don't already have something similar". very few plugins are "must have even if you have all other plugins in the world". everyone's criteria of what constitutes "having something similar" is different - for some people, having a 1176-ish plugin is "close enough", while others would want it to match their idea of what 1176 sounds like better than other options, or would want it to do it slightly differently than other options. and thus, for someone like me the VLA-FET would be more than enough to not own any other 1176 emulation (even though i do own like 6 of them :D), while for others they might start splitting hairs like "VLA-FET has slightly slower attack here and a slightly slower release here, so it's a different flavor of the same 1176-ish sound" and will have their own measure of what constitutes "different enough".

so, whether BRA plugins meet that criteria is entirely up to you. for me, i treat different compressors as essentially "presets" - i'm not so much interested in their specific sound and how well it corresponds to the hardware as much as i'm interested in "okay, LA-3A is faster and cleaner than an LA-2A, so when i want an LA-2A-ish sound but more snappy, i go for the 3A". from that point of view, BRA LA-3A is as good an option as any other for those that seek this kind of sound.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

It's not mentioned often, but the Edelweiss 72 works sometimes really well, it has a very defined sound to me that keeps the punsh better than many other things for some reason. Worth to check out.

midi_transmission wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:33 am It's not mentioned often, but the Edelweiss 72 works sometimes really well, it has a very defined sound to me that keeps the punsh better than many other things for some reason. Worth to check out.
+1

Good channel strip. I use it when mixing guitar band stuff, among other tools of course.

Mr. Spock wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:52 pm tried the KH EQ. sounds really "weird". Don't like the super sharp Q factor and the saturation is weird (does it have a touch of an "amp"?) Deinstalled after 5 minutes.
I was considering the KH EQ too. I have a similar impression, it can sound interesting sometimes as I get very different results than with other eqs and the per band saturation and some other things are really a good idea, but I don't understand their vision soundewise and the saturation is not something that sounds special to me and I find it difficult to use it in a predictable manner. It's rather hit or miss if the setting works.

Does anybody use the KH EQ with great success?

Return to “Effects”