Looking for the closest thing to Softube Weiss DS1. SOLVED!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the responses guys! I managed to remove enough plugins eating up resources that I can use DS1 with no problem with Unisum as my low cpu backup.
Last edited by dblock on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maybe try Comprexxor.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:23 pm Maybe try Comprexxor.
Thanks! Looking into it right now.About to watch a review of it by Zozilla on youtube who always does some good reviews imo.Doesn't seem to be aimed at mixbus use though.
Last edited by dblock on Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Try Unisum

I don't know, I think the Softube Weiss DS1 in a class all its own.

PatchAdamz wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:40 pm I don't know, I think the Softube Weiss DS1 in a class all its own.
That my friend is EXACTLY the problem.

christian f. wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:36 pm Try Unisum
Strange as it sounds,I have Unisum. Don't know what it is about it but I don't drool over it like most people seem to. Maybe it's a little too clean or I just haven't figured it out yet.
Great plugin, low cpu and it is my backup.Sometimes though it's like it isn't even there which for many is exactly what they would want. Maybe I'm just greedy. :hihi:

TDR Kotelnikov maybe?

Maybe FirComp? Kindof?
christian f. wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:36 pm Try Unisum
Nope.
I have both and love unisum and use it a lot, but you can’t make it behave like DS1.
That’s a distressor? Has nothing to do with ds1

lwj wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:46 pm TDR Kotelnikov maybe?
Yes, I remember the developer commenting that Kotelnikov was loosely based on some techniques implemented in the Weiss compressor.

I completely forgot about that one. I even have the Gentleman's Mastering edition. I'll dig it out and see. That's what happens when I buy plugins so fast they replace the ones I hardly messed with. Thanks

Sahul wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:13 pm
Yes, I remember the developer commenting that Kotelnikov was loosely based on some techniques implemented in the Weiss compressor.
Really? I didn't know that, cool. I just noticed it has a bunch of the same functionality and it gets me in the ballpark soundwise. Usually I'll add some subtle saturation, bit of the ole kazrog true iron for some added weight. Not sure how close it actually is but it's a nice standin.

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:57 pm
That’s a distressor? Has nothing to do with ds1
I just figured it covers a lot of ground with so many different compressor types/modes that it would be good for a try. It’s pretty common to hear that a Distressor is the only compressor you need because it does it all. :shrug:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Idk - ive only ever used the real distressor once and the plugins i tried were okay but never persuaded me to buy them.
To me it always sounded like a beefed up 1176

DS1 sounds to me like Unisum in spirit, but completely different sonic character (unisum is fluffy, ds1 is crispy).

Also worth noting that ds1 is a digital compressor in all its essence, that’s why i found the Distressor substitute a bit off

Never had kotelnikov tho, need to give it a shot considering i really like DS1

Thanks for the responses guys. After being able to ditch a bunch of plugins that were eating up resources I was able to keep DS1 on my master bus with Unisum as my main backup. To my ears DS1 is just a whole different ballgame though Unisum is fantastic.

Return to “Effects”