/* static noise */

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Imho, Valhalla Shimmer would be my next addition.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

I got Kuassa RV3604 instead of Valhalla, for reasons because of the Valhalla Shimmer thread. It ain't got many controls but it does a nice shimmer. If you want more controls then perhaps you're better off with Valhalla. The RV3604 only cost about £10.

You might be better off using B2 or Aether for dark ambient, although I have used Shimmer in the past, and possibly got away with it :)

B2 and Aether are very deep and configurable. You can spend hours playing with the settings, but I love them.

2C Audio are currently having a sale on their reverbs, so now is a great time to demo them.

I'd recommend Zynaptiq AdaptiVerb and/or Polyverse Comet. AdaptiVerb because it uses resynthesis to generate part of the reverb texture and tone and so if you feed it dark ambient sources you'll get dark ambient reverb :) Comet because it can do the longest lushest deepest sounding reverbs I've ever heard, like Blackhole but with more of a refined soundcape-y sound.

Checkout the Relab verbs and try layering and EQing the reverbs.

For the dark "ambient" I make, my big four plugins are:

Valhalla Plate
Supermassive (free)
Arturia Plate-140 (got it free)
NI Raum (got it free)

I also find it handy to have a good convolution reverb (I like AudioThing FogConvolver) and something lo-fi (I like AudioThing Miniverb and Voxengo OldSkoolVerb).

Also Valhalla Delay makes for a great reverb.

If you like to tweak and experiment, Eareverb2 is also a nice option.
You seem to like Valhalla, so you may consider Audio Damage EOS2, which was also coded by him, fast to setup and sound good.
Acon Verberate2 is more a go-to reverb, but it can sound both huge and unobstrusive.
Oh, and... did you consider Tritik Irid?

+1 Fog Convolver if you haven't heavily explored thatsrt of thing

Hmm, for ambient in general, i use Supermassive quite a lot tbh. I also use Audiority Xenoverb which is great! Many different algorithims in there.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I make dark ambient. You need Blackhole.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:41 pm I make dark ambient. You need Blackhole.
I will not say that both are identical, but i A/B compared Blackhole and Supermassive one day for a couple hours, and managed to make them sound the same on certain settings.
Blackhole is good, but if you don't want to go the Ilok way and if you don't want to pay the high price tag, SuperMassive might be the (cheap) way to go.
The nice thing with Blackhole is that it is huge but not obstrusive, and it is fast to dial good sounds out of it.

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”