Emergence granulator 0.2.0 released: Added LFOs, Macros and AU support

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Emergence

daniel_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:44 pm interface that (along with the hover help texts)
oops..i oversaw that
gets nearly cut off in the logic gui
daniel_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:44 pm Hope that helps
yes! definitely!
thanky you!

Neon Breath wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 pm Expansion idea for Emergence: filtering per grains, LP-BP-HP :)

Very rare feature to see in granulators. Great way to sculpt and give unique tones to the grains, especially while using modulations/lfo.
Already have that on my todo/idea list. I think I'll add this in some future update
Emergence: granular effect plugin for mac and windows | reaper_command_palette | patreon | youtube | newsletter

I'll be looking forward to that!

daniel_ wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:50 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 pm Expansion idea for Emergence: filtering per grains, LP-BP-HP :)

Very rare feature to see in granulators. Great way to sculpt and give unique tones to the grains, especially while using modulations/lfo.
Already have that on my todo/idea list. I think I'll add this in some future update
:party: :hug:

oh wow:
the more i play with it the more bonkers it becomes

actually, i find the gui more and more well done

arming an LFO can modulate anything
even another LFO and even itself
quite something :-)

curious:
will copy/paste for the stream section be useful ?
i might think so
for example:
adjust stream1, copy its settings
activate stream 2, paste and modify it...

another idea:
mseg ENV as modulators

this thing becomes more and more bonkers
very cool :-)

Yeah, this GUI teaches you everything and then lets you use it at a deep level with great, unconventional visualization.

I'm very impressed with the whole thing, this is one great plugin.

muki wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:33 am curious:
will copy/paste for the stream section be useful ?
i might think so
for example:
adjust stream1, copy its settings
activate stream 2, paste and modify it...

another idea:
mseg ENV as modulators
I also feel like a clipboard for stream parameters would be useful. Maybe in the next update

Adding new modulators like MSEG/ADSR is also possible but this would need some more ui work to get right. Modulating parameters based on the current audio input (or stream output) levels could be interesting too!

It is interestng to see that some of you are suggesting the same ideas that I already wanted to do in this plugin. This is helpful feedback for keeping development focused on features that are actually useful for people.
Emergence: granular effect plugin for mac and windows | reaper_command_palette | patreon | youtube | newsletter

daniel_ wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:54 am Modulating parameters based on the current audio input (or stream output) levels could be interesting too!
oh, yes!
daniel_ wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:54 am It is interestng to see that some of you are suggesting the same ideas that I already wanted to do in this plugin.
yes

some more ideas:
in SILO you can ctrl-click (double-tap on trackpad) to lock a parameter
i find this useful

the parameter "Grain Pan" within a Stream seems rather to be a "Stream Pan" ??
i'd rather have a real "grain pan" where each and every grain individually gets its own
pan position when modulated by a LFO for example

speaking of LFO:
i don't quite understand the "Shape"
generally i know *what* it is and *what* it should be, but...
the value 0.0 seems to be a regular sine,
but i don't quite get the other shape forms
ah..i see: 1.0 would be noise...probably some sort of s&h ?
i am missing pulse, ramp up/down (could be done with an ENV)
and/or in regards to "noise" some sort of a "steppy" switch or so
you know, now the modulation is smoothly gliding from one value to another
but with something like s&h i would want a steppy modulation
actually i'd like to see a dedicated s&h for randomized automatic parameter changes
(the big ramdonize button is a one shot thingie, isn't it?)

modulating the "freeze" and "clear" buttons would be cool too

muki wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:48 pm the parameter "Grain Pan" within a Stream seems rather to be a "Stream Pan" ??
uhm...
this seems to be the case also for the other "grain xx" parameters?
i.e.: pitch, length, volume

that they are rather general "stream" parameters, i.e.: for the whole stream
rather than individual grains ?

(or have my ears become granulized? :D )

muki wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:34 pm that they are rather general "stream" parameters, i.e.: for the whole stream
rather than individual grains ?
These parameters do affect each individual grain but only at the moment when that grain is started. So for example if you modulate the pitch parameter with an LFO then all the grains will have a different pitchhes but the pitch for each grain will be constant (determined at the moment when it started playing)

now, that you say it.....
i hearit too
yes: my ears have been granulized :-)

more wishlist thingies (i hope you don't mind)
comparing with BYOME's granulator:
it has this "Deviation" parameter (for size, speed, rate and pitch)
which defines an amount of randomnization for the parameters - kind of useful imho

btw:
i love the free x/y-resizable gui of byome/triad

quantization option (a switch?) for pitch
(could be a little "Q" in the upper right part (2 o'clock position) of the pitch-dial
byome has a dropdown menu with tons of tuning options (major, minor, phrygian, dorian etc)

I like the way Muki thinks :) Really eager to see where you go with this, daniel_. I echo the requests for more precise control over (or maybe feedback about) the LFOs. I'd adore it if the LFOs were visualized when you selected them and adjusted the shape parameter so that you can see what your resulting oscillation looks like. That would be ideal visual feedback for my purposes here. Right now I can adjust it and listen and all that, I can know when it's doing things I like, but I like being able to define that behavior more precisely in this kind of context.

muki wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:33 pm i love the free x/y-resizable gui of byome/triad
BYOME's modular gui is pretty cool but also a lot of work to implement (probably).
Maybe a basic scaling (75%, 100%, 150%, etc.) would be a much simpler but still useful feature?
Agreed wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:14 pm I'd adore it if the LFOs were visualized when you selected them and adjusted the shape parameter so that you can see what your resulting oscillation looks like
That would be really nice. I have tons of ideas like this for the plugin but the amount of time I can spend on it is limited and wanted to focus on the more imporant/useful features first.

wakax wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:12 pm daniel:
DAW: Reaper
osx High Sierra

its a weird bug- just imagine that the osx cursor is in one place and your cursor in plug is some cm above!:)
Unfortunately it is not possible to run High Sierra on my (M1) mac, so I'm guessing and not sure if this will help but here are a few ideas:
  • High Sierra seems to have problem with detecting AU plugins. Does restarting your mac help? Do you have similar issues with any other AU plugins?
  • VST3: Do you see the same cursor offset in DAWs other than REAPER? Maybe try the new version if you are using an old one?

Anyone else tried the plugin on 10.13 High Sierra? Do you have the same issues?

daniel_ wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:45 pm Maybe a basic scaling (75%, 100%, 150%, etc.) would be a much simpler but still useful feature?
yes sure

as it is now,
within logic's own pluginwindow, which take away quite a few pixels in the vertical/y-axis,
it is perfect for me (1920 x 1080)
i assume laptop users with resolutions lower than 1080 and logic might have a problem...

so more dials would mean
becoming smaller (not so good) or using more space horizontally (x-axis)

Return to “Effects”