Updated U-He MFM2 1st look + Urs interview

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I never liked the GUI of MFM2. This seems much better, and I am running out of u-he products to buy :) Hoping for another NI/u-he sale.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Really generous that he can release this with no cost to existing users with all of the improvements and OS updates.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:26 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:35 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:56 pm I’m getting it for sure. Even though I have Bitwig, delay-4 just doesn’t do it for me. Adding effects in the feedback path is really hit or miss for me.
I’ve gotten phenomenal results, but watching the gain is very important, and I always put a limiter in the feedback path for obvious reasons.
I would be interested in what your D4 recipes are. I do use a limiter in the feedback path (FIRcomp2) but I just can’t seem to get the same character that I get from my other delays plugins, even if using basic filters. But frankly, once I feel a certain amount of frustration I move on to what I know works. So, certainly some laziness on my part.
I’ve tried a bunch of different things, but what I like to do is put a saturation or driven preamp plugin before the delay and roll off the lows and some of the highs which can make a delay too much. Then I’ll put a filter plugin and something else to degrade things like a more heavy distortion or bit and or rate distortion in the feedback path, but again, mind your levels. You can get away with almost no feedback if you add gain to your loop. Then an analog limiter sim. Sometimes in the loop, sometimes after.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

elxsound wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:32 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:46 pm
pekbro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 pmI was looking at those tonight, I have the money. So stingy with the hard drives though, geeze.
At this point I'd rather wait for M1X stuff, which should be still released before the year ends.
This is pretty much what I've been holding out for... As a sort of general rule, I try not to buy their 1st gen stuff, but I keep reading about the performance advantages that makes me want to buy now.
Thanks guys, that's why I mention stuff like that. I don't follow Apple and have no idea what coming
or going.

-Cheers

*Honestly though, how can anyone get by with even 512 gb of storage, are mac users using external drives or something. Is the thunderbolt connection really good enough to suffice for an internal drive? I literally just bought 4 TB worth of brand new 7200 rpm drives for my pc for $100, because I actually needed it.

You can easily replace 3.5“ 7200 rpm drives with a USB SSD. Or if cost is a factor, get a 2.5“ RAID case and stack 4TB drives. ThunderBolt or USB 4 have ample bandwidth and will not be the limiting factor.

TBH, I couldn’t stand the noise of desktop drives anymore. My trusty iMac is so quiet that I can sometimes hear the 2.5“ drives behind it. And that’s pretty much all I can tolerate
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

FapFilter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:50 am Are any of the newer u-he filter designs incorporated?
Yay and nay. We have replaced the existing filters with analogue modelled counterparts that are still very clean. They sound nearly identical to the old ones for static cutoff frequencies, but they produce none of the artifacts associated with "textbook DSP filters" when modulating them quickly.

I also forgot to mention in the video, below the Transient Balance is also another filter section for each pair of delays. When set to HP and LP respectively at the same Cutoff setting, one gets a perfect bandsplit among the two pairs of delay lines. So if you want to put your low frequency delay taps in the center or something, it's easy to accomplish.

Terrific and well deserved update for MFM2, Urs!

Which only leaves Filterscape...
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:21 am Terrific and well deserved update for MFM2, Urs!

Which only leaves Filterscape...
(and... *cough* Uhbik 2.0 *cough* to go beta/final)

And I guess massive CPU optimizations for Protoverb. :clown:

I’ll try to hunt down a mfm2. Dont need it but i kinda cant not have it
pekbro wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:51 am
elxsound wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:32 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:46 pm
pekbro wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:39 pmI was looking at those tonight, I have the money. So stingy with the hard drives though, geeze.
At this point I'd rather wait for M1X stuff, which should be still released before the year ends.
This is pretty much what I've been holding out for... As a sort of general rule, I try not to buy their 1st gen stuff, but I keep reading about the performance advantages that makes me want to buy now.
Thanks guys, that's why I mention stuff like that. I don't follow Apple and have no idea what coming
or going.

-Cheers

*Honestly though, how can anyone get by with even 512 gb of storage, are mac users using external drives or something. Is the thunderbolt connection really good enough to suffice for an internal drive? I literally just bought 4 TB worth of brand new 7200 rpm drives for my pc for $100, because I actually needed it.
Thunderbolt = 2700 MB/s r/w rates. (40Gbps connection).
I have 970 EVO in an external tb3 box and its as fast as internal in every practical sense.

7200rpm doesn’t get close to that :)

It’s in the ballpark of internal drive, although m1 goes little over 3000 MB/s.

edit: Capitalisation
Last edited by Ploki on Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:19 am
FapFilter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:50 am Are any of the newer u-he filter designs incorporated?
Yay and nay. We have replaced the existing filters with analogue modelled counterparts that are still very clean. They sound nearly identical to the old ones for static cutoff frequencies, but they produce none of the artifacts associated with "textbook DSP filters" when modulating them quickly.

I also forgot to mention in the video, below the Transient Balance is also another filter section for each pair of delays. When set to HP and LP respectively at the same Cutoff setting, one gets a perfect bandsplit among the two pairs of delay lines. So if you want to put your low frequency delay taps in the center or something, it's easy to accomplish.
Thanks, it was actually also aimed as a question if there are also changes under the hood and not “just“ a face lift - which of course alone would have also been great and more than you could ever expect from some other companies - at least other “big boys“ in the business

As mentioned, even “just“ a face lift would have been great and very generous for a free update, but this seems to be nuts, like all the other updates people are getting from you for free - and even in regards to Z2->Z3 almost free :o

end of my fanboy ravings (for now) :oops:
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Thunderbolt = 2700mb/s r/w rates. (40gbps connection).
I have 970 EVO in an external tb3 box and its as fast as internal in every practical sense.

7200rpm doesn’t get close to that :)

It’s in the ballpark of internal drive, although m1 goes little over 3000mb/s.
Not meant as a rant, but even though it might be faster to type it all in non capital letters (except for the TB) your stated specs are completely unclear, unless one is already pretty familiar with these specs to begin with:

2700mb/s literally mean 2700 milli bits per second.
Not something to impress someone with - at all.
Of course not many would think that the m would stand for milli instead of mega, as it is extremely rarely used for measurements of transfer speeds and it's usually k, M, G, or T
but the use of b for bits and B for bytes is extremely common and still a large difference by the factor of 8 between them, so at least i'm not sure wether you actually meant bits or bytes. :party:
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 am
Not meant as a rant, but even though it might be faster to type it all in non capital letters (except for the TB) your stated specs are completely unclear, unless one is already pretty familiar with these specs to begin with:

2700mb/s literally mean 2700 milli bits per second.
Not something to impress someone with - at all.
Of course not many would think that the m would stand for milli instead of mega, as it is extremely rarely used for measurements of transfer speeds and it's usually k, M, G, or T
but the use of b for bits and B for bytes is extremely common and still a large difference by the factor of 8 between them, so at least i'm not sure wether you actually meant bits or bytes. :party:
aren't you f**king pedantic today
when i say mb/s i mean Megabytes per second, when i say gbps i mean Gigabits per second, as the convention is. (b/s - bytes/second, bps - bits per second)
as is also convention to address theoretical bandwidth in bits per second, and practical speed in bytes per second

True but it is also a convetion to use uppercase letters for mega/bytes, and lowercase for milli/bits. So while indeed pedantic, it does make a difference in how what you wanted to say reads. :)

i don't capitalise when i type on the phone, it's too much work.
i'd assume it would be obvious that i meant megabytes when i was talking about NVMe drive speeds and saying "mb/s", but then again, it's 2021

Return to “Effects”