Overloud Gem Mod Dimension for FREE

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
2456 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:22 am

Much less subtle than the Arturia, although like the Arturia it barely imparts any of its character when the track is summed to mono. In fact if you alt-click all 4 modes in Gem the effect is huge in stereo but when listened to in mono the effect has completely disappeared. I guess that must have been the intent with the original hardware too. Nice to use for added width when listened to in stereo but not something I'd use for a 'chorus sound'.

KVRAF
16439 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:35 am

What plugin would you use for a chorus sound on a mono track ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRian
892 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:04 am

Vortifex wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:22 am
...but when listened to in mono the effect has completely disappeared. ...
oops, yes! absolutely here too!
the chorus effect is completely gone when switched to mono

vs all (or most of) the others i tested
list of my favorites so far:

eventide H910 dual
UVI Thorus
TAL
Arturia
UA BYOME
Acon
u-he ColourCopy

i don't know why, but i always come back to the eventide

KVRAF
2456 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:21 am

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:35 am
What plugin would you use for a chorus sound on a mono track ?
The Juno ones, or PA's Blue chorus off the top of my head. Btw I'm not saying this one is bad, it's obviously a classic for a reason. Just remarking on its character compared to others.

KVRAF
9045 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:41 am

A couple of things:

1. Choruses will create some phase issues just due to the nature of the effect
2. Many choruses are mono (Boss CE-2) or work on mono signals - that's not even a question as far as I'm concerned
3. This chorus completely disappears in mono - I had tested and discovered that last night
4. The Arturia Dimension D and UAD Dimension D clones do not disappear in mono
5. This sounds great in Stereo though
5. I don't have the hardware or a clone to compare to and don't claim to know the definitive behavior of the hardware

Anyone got the Klark Dimension-D clone (or original Roland) and want to chorus something in stereo then sum to mono to confirm?

KVRer
15 posts since 27 Jul, 2021

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:02 am

donkey tugger wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:26 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:24 pm
He was also notorious for overdubbing, so who knows what you're actually hearing! :lol:
The Headmaster Ritual! How many f**king guitars? :lol:
Johnny Marr teaches "The Headmaster Ritual"

https://youtu.be/UI96b_bTrnI

KVRAF
2434 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:40 am

Chorus Effects with GEM MOD VST ( Free For 7 Days ) Normal Retail Price $99

https://overloud.com/free-gem-mod/download?id=0

Sounds ok, but the GUI knobs are fake so makes it look kinda cheap.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A Styler Site | Program Resource | Music Gallery | Art | GUI Design | Films | Music Legend Docs | 80's Kids Shows | Games | DAW Tutorials | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

AKJ
KVRAF
1964 posts since 2 Mar, 2004

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:43 am

there is already another thread on it. What do you mean by "the GUI knobs are fake"?

KVRAF
5021 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:44 am

i think he means GUI design

KVRian
1233 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:46 am

This is only the Dimension D model.
I regret signing up for Overloud spam for this.

This isn’t a $99 plugin.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRAF
5021 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 am

no, it's a bait for their 129$ currently 79$ "three mod plugins"

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am

AKJ wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:43 am
there is already another thread on it. What do you mean by "the GUI knobs are fake"?
Didn't notice, the other thread which was originally in the instruments section of KVR yesterday, I was notified by Music Radar magazine's website/feed today that have more info about it. https://www.musicradar.com/news/overlou ... and-chorus

As for the knobs, they don't actually look like the knobs phsically move. There is just a dot that moves around the knob. The sliders are not much better... but these things are minor. It's big enough to be usable and how it sounds is more important. But the details matter... I've so many chorus plugins that have properly 3D rendered knobs and sliders. Sigmund D16 for example is rather excellent when you compare them.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source A Styler Site | Program Resource | Music Gallery | Art | GUI Design | Films | Music Legend Docs | 80's Kids Shows | Games | DAW Tutorials | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

KVRian
1318 posts since 3 Mar, 2009 from Colorado Springs

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:59 am

I don't require digital skeuomorphism personally.

AKJ
KVRAF
1964 posts since 2 Mar, 2004

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:19 am

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am
AKJ wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:43 am
Didn't notice, the other thread which was originally in the instruments section of KVR yesterday, I was notified by Music Radar magazine's website/feed today that have more info about it. https://www.musicradar.com/news/overlou ... and-chorus

As for the knobs, they don't actually look like the knobs phsically move. There is just a dot that moves around the knob. The sliders are not much better... but these things are minor. It's big enough to be usable and how it sounds is more important. But the details matter... I've so many chorus plugins that have properly 3D rendered knobs and sliders. Sigmund D16 for example is rather excellent when you compare them.
The knobs are fine for me like this. I believe you are also mislead. They simulate a light effect which is, in fact independant, from knob movement. But this is really absolutely irrelevant. Just enjoy the sound of this classic widening effect.

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:20 am

Other thoughts about it, 10 presets is measly for a plugin costing $99 at normal prices and that red digital display is too small and screws with one's eyes. It might be alright at 1080P but it's not at 1440p as the lines are thin and induces that double squishy vision thing when you look at it.

When you hover over a slider, it highlights all the sliders, why does it do this ? My guess is that it's just a problem that they didn't bother to fix. It's just a bad design aspect that shouldn't be there, because it's just distracting. Why have them highlight at all ? My guess is that the PNG image transparencies don't match and hence why these sliders illuminate when hovered over.

Do all their plugins do this ?
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Effects”