Pulsar Modular P42 Climax Line Amp

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF

Topic Starter

5021 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:40 am

asstudioton wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:19 am
i am owner of p42. when you activate trial, you will receive 25% discount code valid in the next 10 days i think..
plugin is superb, and worth that money because its very significant easy on CPU but with sound power like eats all processor :) recommended to try and fill that power
Not on M1 it isnt
Image

User avatar
KVRer
24 posts since 14 Sep, 2021 from Belgrade

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:45 am

Ploki wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:40 am
asstudioton wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:19 am
i am owner of p42. when you activate trial, you will receive 25% discount code valid in the next 10 days i think..
plugin is superb, and worth that money because its very significant easy on CPU but with sound power like eats all processor :) recommended to try and fill that power
Not on M1 it isnt
what happens with M1 ? we have a plan to update to macpro M.x when comes
AS STUDIOTON / www.asstudioton.com
//Music production, recording studio and home to impeccable and uncompromising sound quality, and consequently an unprecedented listening experience//

User avatar
KVRer
24 posts since 14 Sep, 2021 from Belgrade

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:46 am

itanever wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:20 am
I haven't demoed it and while I'm sure it sounds good, I'm hard-pressed to believe that it's so much better than some of the competition out there
Its not better .. i would say different.
AS STUDIOTON / www.asstudioton.com
//Music production, recording studio and home to impeccable and uncompromising sound quality, and consequently an unprecedented listening experience//

KVRAF

Topic Starter

5021 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:48 am

asstudioton wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:45 am
Ploki wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:40 am
asstudioton wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:19 am
i am owner of p42. when you activate trial, you will receive 25% discount code valid in the next 10 days i think..
plugin is superb, and worth that money because its very significant easy on CPU but with sound power like eats all processor :) recommended to try and fill that power
Not on M1 it isnt
what happens with M1 ? we have a plan to update to macpro M.x when comes
it's not native (yet) so the cpu gains aren't there due to rosetta compared to Native plugins.
i.e. you can run more instances of Satin than P42 on an M1.
Image

User avatar
KVRer
24 posts since 14 Sep, 2021 from Belgrade

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:00 am

Ploki wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:48 am
asstudioton wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:45 am
Ploki wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:40 am
asstudioton wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:19 am
i am owner of p42. when you activate trial, you will receive 25% discount code valid in the next 10 days i think..
plugin is superb, and worth that money because its very significant easy on CPU but with sound power like eats all processor :) recommended to try and fill that power
Not on M1 it isnt
what happens with M1 ? we have a plan to update to macpro M.x when comes
it's not native (yet) so the cpu gains aren't there due to rosetta compared to Native plugins.
i.e. you can run more instances of Satin than P42 on an M1.
Good to know. i hope developer will update to m1 nativelly
AS STUDIOTON / www.asstudioton.com
//Music production, recording studio and home to impeccable and uncompromising sound quality, and consequently an unprecedented listening experience//

User avatar
tq
KVRian
880 posts since 23 Apr, 2003

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:20 am

Wasn't there a story that the original developer (who developed the 900 Modular) sold everything to this company a few years ago as he wanted to pursue a different career, and that the new compnay moved the old code to Juce, raised the prices considerably and made multiple 'new' products that are are primarily based on the Modular code?

I do not doubt it sounds very good, btw, but I'd be a bit worried about how future proof this is when the original coder is not on board anymore. Or is he...?

User avatar
KVRist
359 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:25 am

markmann wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:49 pm
P42 Climax is one of the very best ITB saturators and tone enhancers available. In my opinion, it's worth the amount the company is charging. Yes, I've bought a bunch of $49 plug-ins like everybody else. Is this worth 5 of those crappy plug-ins I never use? Yes.
I agree. It's defintly among the top saturators out there. And I've been using it on everything. Buuut imo, it's not worth the $249.00 price tag when you compare it to the 'higher end' competition (I paid 159e). They are over charging by about $100

Now that's fine. But you won't be doing yourself any favors. But what do I know? I think sales will always show the truth in the end.

At that price, it's going into the Elton John category (as I said on Gear slutz). :)

KVRist
51 posts since 28 Sep, 2021

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:12 am

Hello, first post (long time lurker)
So after reading the GS thread (I read the ~20 pages so you don't have to):

Seems to have stolen company name and branding (best case complete coincidence)
Dev buys up source code of failing product then x5 the original price Shkreli style
Prices products at high end of the market while delivering products needing beta testing when similar
products are around $30-$50; balks at criticism and explains away with cost of development (while
based in a country (Turkey) with much lower cost of living then most development studios working
today)
Alludes to the fact that PHD mathematician was need to develop secret sauce while admitting the
entire process was tuned by ear and that aliasing is not a consideration (fair enough I suppose)
Acts like a general jackass in his own promotional thread when dealing with potential customers

I think I'll wait for Kelvin to go on sale this BF.

User avatar
KVRist
67 posts since 29 Oct, 2018

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:28 pm

Pulsar Audio (the other company) began in 2017, it says on their website. Pulsar Modular (this company) was around before that. Don't know why that rumor persists...well, Gearspace, lol. I like and use both, but use Pulsar Modular much more.

KVRian
894 posts since 23 May, 2016

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:29 am

I read the GS thread also, and for me personally there's too much fanboiism going on in the thread.

Also the pricing structure is not very friendly. +200 € from a fairly unknown small company who bought out another developer and the first thing they did, was not selling the main product anymore.
The recent "sale" where you have to do a review is also not encouraging to even try it in my eyes.
Additionally the often broken project compatibility (reported by others here, and also in GS for their recent 1.8 update) is a red flag for me working professionally with it, especially for a product in that price class.
One more thing is the reports of the product disabling itself for no apparent reason.

I understand devs who are new and selling cheaper products who do not have a beta team etc. But at this price point I expect a mature, stable product and an experienced dev, also a good C/P sheme for that money. One could compare this against Vertigo, where it ticks all the marks for their saturator VSM-4. Only thing they could improve is their C/P process when moving PCs, but otherwise Vertigo at that price point delivers all the said things.
In my opinion this would hit perfectly in the $30-50 zone. But just my two cents and reason behind not even demoing it with these issues.

KVRer
2 posts since 12 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:11 am

"One more thing is the reports of the product disabling itself for no apparent reason"
I think the above had something to do with the change from the demo running out and the purchased licence. However the developer has mentioned he will look into the authorisation system currently being used.

KVRer
2 posts since 12 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:22 am

Synthient Sound wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:49 am
I wish it were a little cheaper just so more people could get it, because I've been pretty astonished at the results using it both for light saturation and equalization. I haven't tried it on mastering yet, but for mixing/tracks it is one of my staples now.
For mastering I have found it very useful. There are some Fusion presets that I used as a starting base and then adjusted.

User avatar
KVRian
1354 posts since 24 Jan, 2016

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:58 am

was wondering where all the reviews were coming from, from P900 @ GS:
we will draw one free copy of P42 for every 4 reviews at KVR Audio (this Sat. and Sunday only. Negative reviews are also eligible!).

User avatar
KVRist
359 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:16 am

polarsky wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:58 am
was wondering where all the reviews were coming from, from P900 @ GS:
we will draw one free copy of P42 for every 4 reviews at KVR Audio (this Sat. and Sunday only. Negative reviews are also eligible!).
Well, I paid for mine. So I had no incentive to give them a review. :)

User avatar
KVRAF
2675 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from People's Republic of Minnesota

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:47 am

With so many new plug-in companies folding or going defunct these days it’s really hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a company that has not yet displayed long-term commitment to support. Arts Acoustic made phenomenal plugins but were priced at a premium and they just abandoned them. I suppose it’s fine if you never update your system, but personally I plan on buying new computers with new OSes in the future.

Return to “Effects”