Whats your all-purpose/secret sauce compressor plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I still haven't found anything cleaner than Endeavor FX's VSVC after trying everything I've been able to find. Yes, typical secret weapon, people don't seem to care about it. On my Even Opals, it's the very best compressor in the world to my ears. I'm only working with it.

I also love Plugin Alliance's VSC-2 and DMG Audio Compassion with all my heart, but... no, VSVC sounds cleaner to me. Voxengo's Marquis Compressor is also very, very good, but adds coloration to me. Klanghelm MJUC is absolutely marvelous, but coloured, and Tokyo Dawn Records Kotelnikov GE is also one of my favourites ever (too bad it's only a mastering compressor, it fails when trying to deeply compress). Kush Audio are making wonderful compressors also, such as Novatron and AR-1, but coloration is their target. Toneboosters made a quite excellent work with their classic BusCompressor also.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:36 am I still haven't found anything cleaner than Endeavor FX's VSVC after trying everything I've been able to find. Yes, typical secret weapon, people don't seem to care about it. On my Even Opals, it's the very best compressor in the world to my ears. I'm only working with it.

I also love Plugin Alliance's VSC-2 and DMG Audio Compassion with all my heart, but... no, VSVC sounds cleaner to me. Voxengo's Marquis Compressor is also very, very good, but adds coloration to me. Klanghelm MJUC is absolutely marvelous, but coloured, and Tokyo Dawn Records Kotelnikov GE is also one of my favourites ever (too bad it's only a mastering compressor, it fails when trying to deeply compress). Kush Audio are making wonderful compressors also, such as Novatron and AR-1, but coloration is their target. Toneboosters made a quite excellent work with their classic BusCompressor also.
FirComp (free) might be another one to try if clean is the goal. :)
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

It used to be Waves C1: easy to use, extremely flexible and low CPU. But, I've grown to dislike their business model, licensing and update policies, so these days I'm drifting on a sea of 50 compressors rarely knowing which one to use half the time. I'll be watching this thread with interest because I'd love to find my "everywhere" C1 replacement.
Last edited by Tronam on Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

I like TrackComp a lot.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Tendou wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:16 pm got to try the supercharger! I usually do my paralell compression return channel with it. its amazing for that!
I too use it as a parallel comp (on a punchy drumbus). Always the same settings : Saturation/Character at 9 o'clock, Att/Rls at minimum (slam setting), 8db GR, 50% dry/wet. Works all the time. With snappy drums I tend to try other options. But I should really try to use it on more sources.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

Voxengo Marquis

All purpose? Stock Live Comp.

I also like Acme Opticom and Pulsar Mu.

I like Presswerk because of its adaptability.
Live's glue compressor is nice for the high hats buss or/and drum buss.
MJUC mk1 model, forefront on annoying bassy material, with fast release.

::::
Last edited by Autobot on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit in a hole

DC8C and mpressor
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Trackcomp would get my vote for flexible all round compressor, too. Highly flexible but way easier to use than e.g. DC8C (never really gelled with that) or Presswerk.
Still there’s something about TC’s user interface that prevents me from using it more, can’t exactly pinpoint what. I guess i just prefer virtual knobs over horizontal faders :oops:

Tronam wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:07 am ….so these days I'm drifting on a sea of 50 compressors rarely knowing which one to use half the time….
That is probably the most lyrical description for the “I have too many compressors”-option paralysis situation I’ve read so far :ud:

Tronam wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:07 am It used to be Waves C1: easy to use, extremely flexible and low CPU. But, I've grown to dislike their business model, licensing and update policies, so these days I'm drifting on a sea of 50 compressors rarely knowing which one to use half the time. I'll be watching this thread with interest because I'd love to find my "everywhere" C1 replacement.
Presswerk, DC8C, TrackComp2 or FabFilter ProC2. Those are pretty swiss army like.

ProC2 is completely under-rated imo. It's not "just clean" because it has several useful modes and it can do a lot of shit. I did very Mu-Like and very FET-like stuff with Pro C2, you just have to push it right.

I don't have all of these. If i had to pick one it would be a tossup between ProC2 and presswerk.

Ploki wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:03 pm ProC2 is completely under-rated imo. It's not "just clean" because it has several useful modes
yes
+1 +1 +1

just was about to to ask: why no fabfilter pro-c love ?

so here: pro-c and eventide omnipressor

i guess because people assume it's character-less due to unimposing interface and supposedly digital approach.

Return to “Effects”