Looking for: Simple chord progression generator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking for a plugin which generates midi chord progressions. I dont want any additional features like strumming, velocity or anything that's included in plugins like chordjam, scaler or insta composer. Just a simple UI were i select a scale and click generate.

Do you guys know such a plugin?

Cannot help. But I was looking for one some time ago as well. Decided to just dive into music theory a bit. Its a lot more fun, and needless to say better way. One helpful word from me anyway, would be that its simpler than one may think. Just open circle of fiths and chords chart that you can see both.

And yeah, I know you asked for a specific solution, but its just my 2 cents, maybe it will push you that way. Its satisfying.

You could learn a lot from writing your own. Expanding on kPere's idea about just learning the (simple) theory stuff.
You could design what you want, and learn the theory while building it. It doesn't need to be a VST, right? It just needs to create a chord progression as a list. So, any of the common scripting languages like Python or Ruby or would be perfect.
If your IDE has a scripting language, you could do it there. I generally avoid app-specific languages because you can't use them elsewhere. A lot of things are scriptable in Lua today. The Reaper DAW supports Lua.

WA Production has a simple one called Midi Q ( I believe). Not many frills, which is a good thing, but no other scales but major or minor, which may not be a good thing.

pawder wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:17 pm I am looking for a plugin which generates midi chord progressions. I dont want any additional features like strumming, velocity or anything that's included in plugins like chordjam, scaler or insta composer. Just a simple UI were i select a scale and click generate.

Do you guys know such a plugin?
Yeah, the ones you just mentioned.
After you generate for a chord progression, you have to start working with each programs bells and whistles in order to use the bells and whistles but that's not required.
You can just take the chord progression and run.

Forager by harvest plugins will let you pick a key, give you a list of chords in that key, and let you add chords to drum pad like squares so you can try out different chord combinations by playing single keys. It will not generate one for you.

If you want a chord progression "generated" you will likely need a complicated program like rapidcomposer, chordjam, etc.

But to be completely frank, if you cannot even make a chord progression yourself when given chords in a key, and you absolutely NEED to have it generated, how do expect to create good music? Creating a chord progression that makes sense is like the easiest part of the process unless you're creating super complicated prog jazz or something, but if that were the case you wouldn't be asking this question.

Check out Hookpad. Its pretty awesome for jamming out ideas. Its not a plugin, but it can export midi. https://hookpad.hooktheory.com/

Take a look at ChordworX
http://www.topazproductions.co.uk/subpages/vsts.html

Simple single key press chords. I used it before I got Tooktrack EZ keys and later Scaler/Scaler 2.

Chordgun is free in Reapack extensions for Reaper simple and effective.

Reatrak more complex: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212645
Last edited by Boone777 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Not sure but I think Sundog is not far from what you're looking for
https://feelyoursound.com/

It's called knowing a bit of music theory and applying it. Seriously, it's not that hard... You might as well ask for a piece of software where you press a button, and it makes a track for you. There's a Music Theory sub forum on here, I suggest you start asking questions there.

Why-don-ya write ya own chords?

Spend time learning music theory or me just writing code that will accomplish something even more interesting.
tic-tok, tic-tok
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=572546

Try ChordPulse. It is simple and standalone. Can compose your chords for complete songs in a variety of styles.You can export midi also. Regards.
maanga

A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Effects”