IK Multimedia announces T-⁠RackS FAME Studio Reverb - Intro & special pricing available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Huh, I guess everything I liked about Sunset was from the wet signal then. I too thought that the dry signal got put through the console emulation. Well, it's a really nice wet signal, I use Sunset often and I'm definitely going to pick up Fame when I can swing it as the big thing for me is the sound of that space and how nicely it gives context to things running into it simultaneously.

That said I'd love it if they could run the dry through it - my DAW has good Wet/Dry innately, so having that dry signal be an effected "dry" signal with the analog flavor would be useful for me personally. Edit: I like the idea of it being switchable to accommodate those who wouldn't want it :hug:
Last edited by Agreed on Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ROFL

“We demand that our dry signal be wet!” Can you imagine the outrage if they had done that for the most of us, who expect our dry signal to be umm, dry? And not like, screwed around with with no user controls?

If you just need a console emulation you are in luck, since there are 47,627.3 products already out there that do that.

ShawnG wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:10 pm ROFL

“We demand that our dry signal be wet!” Can you imagine the outrage if they had done that for the most of us, who expect our dry signal to be umm, dry?
Yes, but then again, a simple button would totally do the trick of course.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

ShawnG, I get what you mean. They did write on the product page:

"IK used award-winning physical modeling to recreate each studio’s unique consoles (an API-based Sunset Sound custom, a Class-A-Discrete NEVE 8880, an API/DeMedio Sunset Sound Custom) preamplifier and signal path, to add the perfect harmonic content and sonic signature. This makes the reverbs sound completely authentic and will make you feel you’re behind the boards running a session yourself."

Now, knowing that it doesn't do what I thought at first, I can see how it clearly isn't claiming to either. It says that their modeling makes the reverbs sound that way, which doesn't imply anything about the dry signal. I think I was going off of the visual appearance of it having the two console sliders but it's my mistake only.

I'd still love it if it did have their console sound as a possibility for the dry signal, what wouldn't be cool about that even if there are other console emulation options out there? I take your point about it being not user configurable, but neither is the wet channel and I think it sounds really nice, I think I might like what it is doing on the dry signal if I could get it :D

ShawnG wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:10 pm ROFL

“We demand that our dry signal be wet!” Can you imagine the outrage if they had done that for the most of us, who expect our dry signal to be umm, dry? And not like, screwed around with with no user controls?

If you just need a console emulation you are in luck, since there are 47,627.3 products already out there that do that.
The consoles are supposed to be modeled. The DRY channel is one of the channels in the FAME console, and as such I would expect it to have the same console modeling as the room mic channels. Whatever mix of direct and room mics I have going, it's all going through the FAME console, so I would expect the signal coming out the other side to reflect that.

If you want to mix an untouched signal in, you'd just use a send in your DAW.

I was hoping for an IK model of the SSL preamps, since they glaringly omitted them from their SSL "British Channel" console plugin. And the UA console would have been nice too. Why go through the trouble of modeling the channels then not let you use it?

Also, the Brainworx TMT consoles don't model the preamps. Only the Waves SSL EV2 and UAD do. I was hoping to have an alternative to Waves.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

every reverb plugin I own has either a wet/dry knob, or wet/dry sliders as these reverbs do. The day someone releases a plugin where the dry slider doesn't pass a completely unprocessed signal through it is the day I stop buying plugins from that developer. in addition, given that in common usage you would be mixing a blend of wet and dry, why on earth would anybody actually WANT both to be processed? you want to double up on the console? it's ridiculous.

I think that, particularly in this forum, people might want to start exercising their "dry" slider a bit more. not the ones in the plugins, sometimes you want those full wet. I'm talking about the one in your brain. You know where you apply all sorts of extra "processing" to the words you read, to the point where you can buy a convolution reverb, and think you are buying a console emulation. or the extra processing that people apply to "Fender buys PreSonus" so that they think that means that only guitar players will be able to use Studio One. maybe just A/B that with a full dry reading once in a while, might help. smh

Every signal recorded in FAME studio is going through the console. If the signal isn't going through FAME's console, then it isn't in FAME studio. When I buy a plugin that is supposed to make my track sound like it was recorded in FAME studio, I expect it to do what it claims.

jamcat wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:18 am Every signal in FAME studio is going through the console. If the signal isn't going through FAME's console, then it isn't in FAME studio. That is what I expect when I buy a plugin that is supposed to make my track sound like it was recorded in FAME studio.
Then you sir, need to forget that the "dry" slider exists then, because its purpose is to pass an UNAFFECTED signal through it. full wet for you.

If that's the case, then why is it part of the plugin's mixing console?

What part of the audio signal does the dry signal represent? Isn't it supposed to be the direct portion of the sound picked up by the studio mic? The mic that is plugged into FAME's console?

If not, then where did it come from, and how did it end up on tape?

ShawnG wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:49 am every reverb plugin I own has either a wet/dry knob, or wet/dry sliders as these reverbs do.
But none of those reverbs claim to be the sound of room acoustics recorded through a vintage UA, Neve, or SSL console.

jamcat wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:23 am If that's the case, then why is it part of the plugin's mixing console?

What part of the audio signal does the dry slider represent? Is it supposed to be the direct portion of the sound picked up by the studio mic? The mic that is plugged into FAME's console?
No. it's supposed to be the original signal that you are feeding into the plugin.

I just had a play, and if you turn the dry fader down completely, and turn the predelay and decay to nothing you have a close approximation to what you want. no reverb tail, still effects the sound.

jamcat wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:35 am
ShawnG wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:49 am every reverb plugin I own has either a wet/dry knob, or wet/dry sliders as these reverbs do.
But none of those reverbs claim to be the sound of room acoustics recorded through a vintage UA, Neve, or SSL console.
that makes what difference exactly? read the words you wrote. it is the sound of room acoustics recorded through a vintage console with good mics. it is all that. nobody told you that the dry slider includes the console emu. nobody familiar with how wet and dry controls operate in a plugin or piece of gear would assume that the dry signal would include the console, yet you believed that it did.

then again the Arturia Plate Reverb does exactly that.... you can saturate the dry signal with the drive knob.... and you can use as little or as much as you'd like.

and while you're correct that no one said that the dry signal was going through an analog emulation of the desk, and I wouldn't have thought of that to begin with..... but presented with the idea I can see how one could believe that it would do that, and....

....personally I'd have loved to see a console emulation on the dry path (2 for each studio: vintage & modern) as long as they can be disabled... what's not to like.

ShawnG wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:45 am
jamcat wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:35 am
that makes what difference exactly?
Actually it potentially makes a world of a difference. Jamcat is factually right, of course. while I totally get the reasoning behind it, the plugin does not really do what it claims to do. As I mentioned before, a button would do the trick ("Full Emulation" ("send dry signal through signal path emulation"))
or another option may even be a second dry/wet control for the console emulation. Some plugins already do something similar btw. to solve the exact same problem...

"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

"I just compared the SSL preamp modeling in FAME's Studio B (DRY SOLO) to Waves EV2, and they're really close, practically indistinguishable, which they should be, since it's the same preamp."

So after further discussion, it means that SSL preamp in Waves EV2 does absolutely nothing? ;)
One could interpret it that way.

Ps. I know that preamp in EV2 is adding harmonics ;)

Return to “Effects”