Are Solid Slate Logic plugins an upgrade worth paying for from Analog Obsession?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm an enthusiastic amateur. I have the full range of Analog Obsession plugins and I'm starting to learn them well and get pretty good results especially from the SSQ, Buster SE and Channev channel strip. I don't have tons of cash but I keep looking at the Solid State Logic plugins but don't know if they are a worthy upgrade as they are pretty expensive and would like an opinion from someone that has the Analog Obsession plugins and also the SSL Native Channel Strip, SSL Native Bus Compressor and SSL Native Drum Strip (and the others). What do you think, should I 'stick or twist'.

raf.dees wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:00 pm What do you think, should I 'stick or twist'.
Of course, the correct answer is you stick and twist :D

The Analog Obsession plugins are really good and to be honest, you would be just fine sticking with them. If you have your heart set on some SSL stuff (after demoing them), then I'd just say be patient as they do have really good sales, especially if you don't have tons of cash. If you pay the silly money SSL ask for them out of sales, then I suspect once you're out of the honeymoon period, you'll regret it. Nothing like a bargain to sweeten the deal!
A bit fried in the higher freqs

I have the LMC+ because I got it at the super cheap introductory price. I wouldn't pay the regular price SSL wants for any of their plugins.

The SSL plugins are just "SSL flavoured" EQs and compressors just like any others. They don't seem to be component modeled precise emulations of particular SSL consoles of yesteryear, so if that's what you're looking for, you'd do better going with Brainworx. They just had a sale where you could pick up the SL-4000 E and G channel models for $29.99 each. If you wait for Black Friday, I'm sure they'll have that sale again.

I do like the SSL interfaces though. They look edible.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

No, they aren't, at this point and up until you know this for yourself, don't buy anything just because someone else like it or because it's popular or because someone who have famous You Tube channel is praising it or because there's tons of people who are losing their shit on forums like this whenever new sale comes or similar stuff like that, your DAW have pretty amazing plugins probably and there's enough great freebies to keep you busy until you figure out what do you really need and what are the differences without anyone influencing that, but your needs, ears and taste.

I absolutely agree with the previous post.

If you're an enthusiastic amateur and have a small range of plugins that you know inside out over time then stick to it. I suggest you to not go down that rabbit hole (of getting "better" plugins to replace what you have). AO plugins cover pretty much everything you need in the compression/EQ/saturation/tone department and they are really good and solid. (And the AO catalog isn't exactly small either, eh? ;) ) There's your stock DAW plugins, too.

Deciding to buy the SSL plugins will not suddenly make your productions magically better. Once you start going that route, you'll want something else over and over again....it can be counter productive.

Adding new creative "effects" (reverbs, special FX, specialized delays etc.) from time to time is another story.

Good luck and all the best!

There have been comparisons of the curves that different emulations produce.

Quite often you're deciding between a 85% vs a 99% accuracy, which may be even lower in the context of an entire mix, where very few if any would possibly be able to tell, where there's a Neve or SSL or whatever. Or whether it's this emulation or that emulation.

Sometimes the official replication is not the best. Since other developers may have added enhancements or their flavour (even if it's not accurate) might just sound nicer to some. Such as Waves SSL G (some people actually prefer it) vs the official.
Last edited by soundmodel on Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Waves SSL channels are the worst of all the SSL models. As in they sound harsh and grating to the ear. They’re also the oldest by quite a lot. If you wanted to go with Waves, the CLA MixHub is much better than their old official SSL models. It’s their attempt at a do-over, and it’s pretty decent. It still doesn’t beat the bx_console SSL models though. They’re generally regarded as the best, topping UAD, even.

The SSL Native Channel 2 is not bad. Apparently it’s based on the SL-9000K. But it does sound really nice even if it’s not as accurate or complete as some others. It certainly sounds better than the old Waves models.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:30 am The Waves SSL channels are the worst of all the SSL models. As in they sound harsh and grating to the ear. They’re also the oldest by quite a lot
Eh? Why? It's a clean digital EQ, so complaints about "harshness" generally refer to high-frequency cramping. But the Waves SSL set are notably de-cramped - this is a big part of why they were widely considered to be a significant upgrade to Q-10 or the DAW stock EQ.

I've just a had a little play with high-mid bells in plugin doctor and find that:
  • Waves E-Channel has slightly different behaviour approaching Nyquist to Pro-Q 3.
  • It has very similar de-cramping to Solid EQ
  • Audio Thing Blindfold EQ (which has an SSL-like interface) has dramatic and obvious cramping compared to the others.
  • T-Racks 5 British Channel is de-cramped but looks pretty weird near Nyquist. Probably not a big deal.
  • Reason Channel EQ does not appear to be de-cramped at all.
  • Waves Renaissance EQ can match E-channel's bell pretty exactly, including the de-cramping.
So yeah, Waves SSL and RenEQ were a significant advance on basic cookbook implementation. Pro-Q3 is basically the gold standard for digital EQ now and it's pretty close. Meanwhile, people are still releasing cramped EQs. Arguably it doesn't even matter that much if you compensate with Q/freq settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqOBgt4DX20 .

Maybe the difference is that you prefer your channel EQ to include some saturation? I don't think the SSL Native Channel does either, though. Can anyone here confirm that?

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:30 am It still doesn’t beat the bx_console SSL models though. They’re generally regarded as the best, topping UAD, even.
They are?
I thought they were regarded as most heavily marketed.
I dont remember THD completely disappearing on an analog desk when you disengage EQ, like it happens on bx consoles.
So i doubt its component modeled, and if it is, something isnt right.

This is all very interesting.

I'd assumed that the Solid State Logic plugins would be the most authentic as they have all the data and it's 'their thing'. If they are all pretty similar in sound, including Analog Obsession (which I do like), I'm beginning to wonder whether I asked the wrong question in the beginning and maybe should go down the Fab Filter Pro Q3 route, or do nothing as I might turn into a plugin collector always searching for the next best thing.

But an SSL clone at £29.99 in a Black Friday sale, that's tempting. I might be more confused now than before!

The SSL plugins are "authentically" SSL but they are *not* analog console emulations, like the Waves/PA/UAD plugins are - different thing. They are clean tools with SSL's modern flavour of EQ/compression etc.

(They originally come from SSL's digital C200 desk, which had algorithms (EQ/comp/gate) based on the behaviours of the 9K series, but weren't trying to "be" a 9K or model the analog stuff.)

I like the PA SSL 4K and 9K for general use (the 4K is a bit more "rock", and the 9K is a bit less aggressive), and use the SSL one for when I still want a channel strip but I'm not specifically looking for an "analog console" flavour.

The channel strip plugin thing for me is really two things - workflow, and flavour. The SSL Native's don't have much "flavour" because they are quite clean and don't model analog consoles/saturation etc, and the other PA ones have similar features but different "flavours", and I'll choose those depending on where I feel like going. (I also like the PA Lindel 80 for a more vintage/70s flavour, and the Lindell 50 is different again, although I'm not so much an API guy in general.)

Going back in time now, after collecting many paid plugins -I'd surely buy a lot less - out of two reasons I guess:
1. It takes some time to know a plugin and how you like working with it - therefore it takes some time to choose your favourites GUI and soundwise.
2. There is army of people collecting plugins who own way too much of those and its easy to get into their mentality that its the tools that matter. Truth is, tools matter in maybe 5%, untill you get to that point, youre completly fine with Analog Obsession for example. Dont get into chasing that rabbit just fot the sake of it, its about music after all.

Its good to have a nice plugin that provides fast and intuitive workflow though, I'd find me one of those for each category and dont bother with them anymore.

You can rent the SSL stuff for a month from that rental site (can't remember the name...ugh. anyway, it's only like £20 for a month, so why not?

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:30 am The Waves SSL channels are the worst of all the SSL models. As in they sound harsh and grating to the ear. They’re also the oldest by quite a lot. If you wanted to go with Waves, the CLA MixHub is much better than their old official SSL models. It’s their attempt at a do-over, and it’s pretty decent. It still doesn’t beat the bx_console SSL models though. They’re generally regarded as the best, topping UAD, even.

The SSL Native Channel 2 is not bad. Apparently it’s based on the SL-9000K. But it does sound really nice even if it’s not as accurate or complete as some others. It certainly sounds better than the old Waves models.
Waves CLA mixhib is as good as brainworx imo. The brainworx has an unfocused sound, but with great analog qualities. It has a soft, big, "floaty" feel.

The waves doesn't sound quite as obviously "analog" but sounds way more focused.

Real High quality analog has the best qualities of both plugins at the same time: the soft, gooey, what I like to call "floaty", AND the focus and precision that cuts through a mix.

Which one is better, for me, depends on the source sound you slap it on, and how you want to affect that sound in the mix. If I need something to cut through the mix I go with waves, if I need something to sound bigger or I need to soften something that sounds a little harsh I go with brainworx.

Actually, the comments here that the SSL Native plugins DON'T add a lot of colour/flavour is making me more keen to buy them because it differentiates them from what I have. That is very useful.

Return to “Effects”