Alternative to Phoenixverb for real spaces?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been using Phoenixverb since it came out as my reverb for real spaces (placing string players within a virtual 3D room and such.)

Since iZotope has acquired and now killed Exponential Audio, I need a new reverb that is as subtle and sophisticated and thoroughly realistic as Phoenixverb.

I would have switched to Relab Development VSR S24, but that has been discontinued. :evil:
(I have LX480 from Relab, which I use extensively for reverb effects, but not for real spaces.)

TC Electronic VSS3 is definitely on my radar.
Are there any others to consider?

I've tried Acon Digital Verberate, but it seemed noticeably lower quality than Phoenixverb in a direct comparison. And I know within 3 posts some fanboy is going to chime in with Valhalla this or that (this is KVR, afterall.) Please don't be that guy, unless you can show it can actually do what is being asked.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I was going to say Verberate. I compared a bunch and it was the only one that gave me a convincing sound of a hall on close mic'd orchestral drums, which was comparable to those same drums with the actual hall sound baked into the hall mic recordings. But oh well.

Verberate isn't bad, but I couldn't get it to sound as smooth and transparent as Phoenixverb. It's in the right vicinity as Phoenixverb at least, and it will probably be in the mix when I narrow a down few choices to try out.

ValhallaRoom, Verberate, and VSR-S24 would be my choices. The latter has been discontinued but should be replaced with the full system-6000 soon.

A lot of V plugins in that category.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:10 am ValhallaRoom, Verberate, and VSR-S24 would be my choices. The latter has been discontinued but should be replaced with the full system-6000 soon.
Do you have some information on that?
VSR-S24 just disappeared down the memory hole without a trace. I haven't seen any information on why, or even anyone asking where it went. If you know anything, please share! 8)

I also noted yours is the 3rd reply. :lol:

jamcat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:34 am I've been using Phoenixverb since it came out as my reverb for real spaces (placing string players within a virtual 3D room and such.)

Since iZotope has acquired and now killed Exponential Audio, I need a new reverb that is as subtle and sophisticated and thoroughly realistic as Phoenixverb.

I would have switched to Relab Development VSR S24, but that has been discontinued. :evil:
(I have LX480 from Relab, which I use extensively for reverb effects, but not for real spaces.)

TC Electronic VSS3 is definitely on my radar.
Are there any others to consider?

I've tried Acon Digital Verberate, but it seemed noticeably lower quality than Phoenixverb in a direct comparison. And I know within 3 posts some fanboy is going to chime in with Valhalla this or that (this is KVR, afterall.) Please don't be that guy, unless you can show it can actually do what is being asked.
for algoverbs then Flux IRCAM Verb is very good

I didnt realise phoenixverb doesnt work anymore - Nimbus and R2 work here I think. I haven't used them for ages. Bummer if they dont work as I'd sell them. Or do you just not like the company anymore? I can understand that.

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:38 am I didnt realise phoenixverb doesnt work anymore - Nimbus and R2 work here I think. I haven't used them for ages. Bummer if they dont work as I'd sell them. Or do you just not like the company anymore? I can understand that.
Phoenixverb still works, but iZotope has made it pretty clear they have no interest in supporting or updating the Exponential Audio plugins. I make sure everything I use is cross-platform, and since there won't be an M1 version, there is no reason to continue using it.

I've never liked iZotope, and was not pleased when they bought Exponential Audio.

BTW, thanks for the IRCAM suggestion. That's exactly the kind of reverb I'm looking for. It will be on my shortlist.

would Also suggest VSS3 from TC. Or Ariesverb - the motherverb

Is this the case for all Exponential Plugins (mainly R4 for my interests)?

That is a complete bummer if so

jamcat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:24 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:10 am ValhallaRoom, Verberate, and VSR-S24 would be my choices. The latter has been discontinued but should be replaced with the full system-6000 soon.
Do you have some information on that?
VSR-S24 just disappeared down the memory hole without a trace. I haven't seen any information on why, or even anyone asking where it went. If you know anything, please share! 8)

I also noted yours is the 3rd reply. :lol:
Yeah, this was announced a while back:

https://gearspace.com/board/product-ale ... st14442133

And back in June of this year they sent an email to owners of the Relab bundle allowing them to crossgrade for free to the new bundle that included the VSR REV6000 plugin. Exact quote from the email:
For a limited time, we are offering you first access to a BETA version of our upcoming VSR REV6000 as a FREE upgrade/addition to Relab Reverb Bundle V2 owners.
...so it's coming. When? Not sure. I migrated my licenses but didn't actually ever find out how to actually get the beta.

nathanj wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:46 am Is this the case for all Exponential Plugins (mainly R4 for my interests)?

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... le-silicon

jamcat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:07 am
fairlyclose wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:38 am I didnt realise phoenixverb doesnt work anymore - Nimbus and R2 work here I think. I haven't used them for ages. Bummer if they dont work as I'd sell them. Or do you just not like the company anymore? I can understand that.
Phoenixverb still works, but iZotope has made it pretty clear they have no interest in supporting or updating the Exponential Audio plugins. I make sure everything I use is cross-platform, and since there won't be an M1 version, there is no reason to continue using it.

I've never liked iZotope, and was not pleased when they bought Exponential Audio.

BTW, thanks for the IRCAM suggestion. That's exactly the kind of reverb I'm looking for. It will be on my shortlist.
the IRCAM was recently on sale, so sales do happen. I'm no fan of Izotope as a company either. Have some good products but not a company I will buy into again

A MAJOR problem I have with the Flux IRCAM and Relab reverbs is they seem to be VST2 only. LX480 is for sure, and I am leery that VSR REV6000 will be, too. I don't really trust developers who are still not developing VST3 plugins in 2021. They don't seem to be committed to the long-term outlook of their products, and I just don't want to invest that kind of money in something that only supports a dead format.

I just discovered TC now has a VSS4 Native reverb for $250, which is part of their new System 6000 Native Bundle released earlier this year. This may be the new front runner. The bundle also includes VSS3.

jamcat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:24 am
nathanj wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:46 am Is this the case for all Exponential Plugins (mainly R4 for my interests)?

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... le-silicon
Welp, f**k those guys

Return to “Effects”