Fabfilter Volcano 3 Out now

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Volcano 3

Uhm, why do the filters go up to 75 kHz?

My peanut brain can't figure this out by itself :party:
By looking at some pics, it was the same in Volcano 2.

Niowiad wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:07 pm Uhm, why do the filters go up to 75 kHz?
I can't say for sure, but I'd say because the filter drive as well as the filter characteristics introduce harmonics. And you can use the other filters to either emphase to de-emphase those or create some to mirror them back into the audible range. You may also need to place a shelfing filter higher in the frequency range if you only want to use the "beginning" of its filter curve.

oh sweet, you can do L/R split with all pass filter making a neat stereoizing effect. i love this.

insta fav, will use it even more than Volcano 2.
GUI is perfect on my 4K 21.5" running @2x scaling

Mr. Dan Worrall doing his thang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a94R5T4dSsM

ehh, I'll probably still pick it up. the filters sound pretty different from Shade, I think they complement each other.

I tried to demo shade again after your previous comment but i couldn't (for some reason they don't mail me the download links), but afaik you can't have that many flavours of LPF in shade (10 or what).

But IIRC they're different enough anyway, and for 90% of what i do with a filter (hpf, lpf - automate), shade is complete overkill for me, but i very much like variety of filter styles to pick from :love:

Ploki wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:17 pm I tried to demo shade again after your previous comment but i couldn't (for some reason they don't mail me the download links), but afaik you can't have that many flavours of LPF in shade (10 or what).
Yup, that boat load of LPF filter flavours and the ability to drive all of them might be the biggest selling point for me. Plus the different routing options.

I still love Shade though... it's really just as complex as you want it to be, you can easily use it as a bread and butter EQ, the controls are pretty similar to Pro Q (or Volcano).. double click to create filters and drag them around, mouse wheel to change shape, etc. The modulation is very intuitive but allows for tons of complexity... one of the better systems out there imo with some unique modulators.

My impression is that Shade sounds very "polished" and modern, while Volcano has a bit more grit and edge to it. So yeah, both really nice! Waiting for the FF sale to commit though.

If Fabfilter has a BF sale will they even discount Volcano 3 so soon after launch for people who don't own Volcano 2 licenses?
------------------------------------------
Gribs

I asked them directly but havent gotten an answer yet

Ploki wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:16 am I asked them directly but havent gotten an answer yet
I think the thing to do is download and play with the 30-day demo.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

BoogerSnotOrchestra wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:13 pm :party:
Available for iPad too:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fabfilter ... 1594574554
They just added a Creative Bundle as well:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app-bundle/fa ... 1596286291

I already owned Saturn and Timeless…. Cost to complete the bundle to get Volcano? $3.32. 8)

Thank you Fabfilter. Good stuff man. :phones:
Yo Leroy!

Big fan of FF. Tried this but I have The Drop and a UVI voucher for shade so will pass. The drop really does sound amazing compared to most filters.

bmanic wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:26 pm Don't sleep on the presets. There are a few hidden gems there, ready setup for your mixing tasks. Check the 'Basic' folder. You have a quick setup of BPF, HPF, LPF and Notch where I've already routed an Envelope Follower that you get instant control over and an LFO.
I would love if you could go into some detail about some of the presets. For example I noticed that you use several filters even in some of the most basic presets and I wonder what was your thinking behind that. Or for example how you picture someone using the other presets in the basics folder that aren't for typical filtering duties such as the Audio Enhancer or Phase Panning.

Since I own almost everything FF, it only cost me €38. Instabuy :)
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Hm I demoed it and have to admit, that I am kind of dissapointed. I expected more. At the moment I can not yet see, how it brings additional value on my exisiting plugins (Shade, Mfilter). Normally I am slightly positively biased for FF, but I see not really a gamechanger there.

Also for the filter styles, I am barely able to distinguish these. In a blind test the most would sound pretty the same for me. Maybe I used wrong audio material (some synth tracks, not real life audio) to test it, but ATM the variance of the styles is pretty few for me.

If FF goes on BF sale, I think I would grab it with the additional discount, nevertheless. If not, I would wait on the next sale, if at all.

Return to “Effects”