What do use for Mastering?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What does everyone like to use for mastering? I have Ozone, and T Racks, so I'm thinking about dropping one of them.

Ozone. Don't you like what they do? To me they are very different, T-racks sounds more retro to me, but Ozone can do that trick as well.
I used to have a manual process that required many steps, I did a side by side and to be honest the assistant did better than I ever could manually. AI has taken over, might as well embrace it.

Two compressors (one for beefing -always as a parallel one-, one for slight final volume adjustment), two EQs (one for the global colour control and one for bandlimiting and misc automatic mastering corrections), a limiter (most of the times Limitless).
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

If I want to make something a bit louder to compete with (my) professionally mastered tracks, just KClip and UrsaDSP Boost. Maybe a bit of colour from u-he Satin or a nice preamp from Acustica Audio; I like the Air mode from the Coral2 bundle. I tend not to master my own stuff, because by the time I'm at that final stage, I'm sick of listening to track and have very little in the way of objective judgment.
Always Read the Manual!

Oh man, everytime somebody else from a label mastered one of my songs, I hated the result so much... never again...

It don't matter none wha-tools ya use, just how ya use em

Kinh wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:17 pm It don't matter none wha-tools ya use, just how ya use em
Well, Roi Heenok is mainly right. As long as your track meets the professional requirements and sounds right to your label, you can use whatever you want.

I have a few plugins in a chain I use for my mastering. I am going to add to it tomorrow and hopefully improve it.

But I don't like the all in one solutions tbh.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

DJErmac wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:13 pm Oh man, everytime somebody else from a label mastered one of my songs, I hated the result so much... never again...
That's a bummer, the engineers I use have all been excellent, two of them are my favourite producers, which helps since I like their sound!
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:52 pm
DJErmac wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:13 pm Oh man, everytime somebody else from a label mastered one of my songs, I hated the result so much... never again...
That's a bummer, the engineers I use have all been excellent, two of them are my favourite producers, which helps since I like their sound!
Only one studio mastered my tracks correctly, the other ones simply overcompressed so this matched their own sound, leaving the tracks boomy but totally uninteresting, no energy at all. But when it’s from your label, you can answer "no" to the question "do you like it ?", they still release this master... :D

DJErmac wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:59 pm
PieBerger wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:52 pm
Only one studio mastered my tracks correctly, the other ones simply overcompressed so this matched their own sound, leaving the tracks boomy but totally uninteresting, no energy at all. But when it’s from your label, you can answer "no" to the question "do you like it ?", they still release this master... :D
I'm a despicable heathen who likes it loud and my music is quite aggressive to start with, which aso helps :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

My basic mastering/finalizing is Ozone and Fabfilter Pro-L in Wavelab and metering with the Flux metering system.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

My goto mastering tool is Acon Digitals Acoustica. Mostly only needed for some fine tuning... I've gone through Sounddesigner, Peak, Sonic Solutions and ended up happily with Acoustica now...

A professional :D

I master all the tracks myself, and they get signed. Note that I only use master chain to boost the volume, and all the particular issues are fixed back at mix stage.

The mastering chain is as follows:
- iZotope Ozone 9 Exciter
- GClip
- iZotope Ozone 9 Vintage Tape
- iZotope Ozone 9 (multiband) Dynamics
- iZotope Ozone 9 EQ (only cut below 20 Hz and above 20 kHz)
- Stillwell Audio Event Horizon
- iZotope Ozone 9 (host plugin) with Master Assistant, especially Maximizer. I also tend to detach the onboard EQ and put it earlier in the chain.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Effects”