How not to master an album.. holy crap?!?!?!?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

camsr wrote:
Jason Brian Merrill wrote:but isnt there a subtle subconcious effect at least? Like fatigue? (to the common listener at least)
Of course there is, there is the "sound people like", and the "sound they don't" :roll:
what are you talking about?

I dont think you understand what i said.
check my profile for contact info.
msn messenger is my email as well.

camsr wrote:These flat recordings are like listening to a wall of noise. Constantly. Without end. The only probable cause for mastering like this is for listening at low volumes, maybe like waiting room music.
Aye, true that. I was in a shop not long ago that had the volume of the background music set incredibly low. When a track from Madonna's latest album came on, it was remarkable at how easily I was able hear it, even though I barely heard the track before it.

camsr wrote:These flat recordings are like listening to a wall of noise. Constantly. Without end. The only probable cause for mastering like this is for listening at low volumes, maybe like waiting room music.
i thought that slammed against the limiter sort of thing worked worked well with multimedia speakers - cos lets face it they cant reproduce music at the best of times - the added volume measn the little 5 w amps dont have to work so hard (and badly) to be loud

i'm guessing its much the same through ikkle ipod headphones/speakers too

so my guess is the record company think muse will sell to people who cannot afford a proper stereo - it's a just all a bit tragic for those of us who can !
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

I'm glad this process has reached it's logical conclusion. It can't really go any further, and exposes the base motives that underpin the music industry. These recording are like artworks that perfectly express what the music industry is about.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

you guys are just so old and behind the times...why don't you go listen to your bob dylan records?

(:wink:)

It's all at 11.

that's depressing about Muse, the album's on my wishlist too. Not looking forward to it so much now....

I bet it's not as bad "birds of pray" by Live though
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

Most people just don't care. They'll hook up a stereo with just one speaker, and face it toward the wall and listen to it. For gods sake, they'll actually use those mosquito-tone earbud headphones that come with cheap mp3 players.

They know not, they care not, they want not.. for good sound. We just need to stick to our niche music that is made by people who care, for people who care.
You are not a beautiful snowflake.

I bought those Philips SHS391 headphones recently after hearing a friend's set. They push the bass a bit at low volumes which is what I needed for my mp3 player. Less than $20. They're definitely better than my $30 Sony cans of a similar design. Certainly better than slamming the level of a track to maximum for everything. Maybe they should make the EQ presets quicker to get to for the average Joe?

I have made music with it drivin louder (i would assume). But that was the whole point, half of what made the music intersting. If I was seriously writing songs I would never do that.
Do not lick the fablanky

Thing is that this process really can't go much further; the loudness wars are reaching an end. Then people will look at where they've got to and think, 'well that was bloody stupid'. Short terms gains at the expense of the longer.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

It seems japanese harsh noise did go mainstream, but not quite in the way one might have expected.

"Mastered by Merzbow"

chagzuki wrote:Thing is that this process really can't go much further; the loudness wars are reaching an end. Then people will look at where they've got to and think, 'well that was bloody stupid'. Short terms gains at the expense of the longer.

>>Thing is that this process really can't go much further; the loudness wars are reaching an end.

Well, we have a long way to go. The loud war ain't over until the data slams all the way up and down at 44.1 from 0:00.

Of course, by then it all really is one song.

[dupe: KvR coughed]
Last edited by mistertoast on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lunik wrote:It seems japanese harsh noise did go mainstream, but not quite in the way one might have expected.

"Mastered by Merzbow"
The ironic thing is that Merzbow generally has more dynamics.

Muse (from earlier post):

vs. Merzbow's 'Scum Rider'

both in Audacity.

Return to “Production Techniques”