Free PDF with Kim Lajoie's blog articles - available now

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
KVRist
278 posts since 21 Aug, 2007

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Kim is the man. Is advice is always sound and he treats his craft with a huge amount of passion. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience! And thanks to Mabian for providing work necessary for this PDF compilation!

KVRian
1010 posts since 13 Jan, 2005 from Opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those of my company.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:43 am

Thank you for this FANTASTIC resource!

KVRAF
5712 posts since 11 Feb, 2005 from Bordeaux France

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks to you for taking time to write and to compile. This is not a manual, of course, but a collection of clear and didactic articles, very useful. A good starting point, and a good reference.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

KVRAF

Topic Starter

2078 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Updated again!

Download link on first post.

Lots of typos fixed, content up to date to today.

- Mario

KVRist
41 posts since 20 Oct, 2007

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:07 pm

This is great! And just in time for midterms....

KVRian
662 posts since 2 Apr, 2005 from out there

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:56 am

Thanks so much! Very good info resource...

KVRist
71 posts since 7 Dec, 2009 from Denmark

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:53 am

This is something I often forget to do: say "thank you" for the free useful VST(i) plugs, helpful forum posts and detailed tutorials on music-making.

Many good people spend a lot of time programming/writing something that they don't get any reward for. In many cases the occasional online "thank you" (and the more detailed feedback) is the only motivation behind these great free apps and articles.

So here is my - most sincere - "thank you" post:

Though I frequently visit the KVR forum I didn't know of Kim Lajoie nor his blog. Stumbling upon this PDF file yesterday was like discovering the existence of freeware plugs of the BootEQmkII (Variety of Sound) or Glitch (dBlue) standard for the first time!

I'm confident creating a '2nd golden-age' style hip-hop beat: it's my main-genre in which I know exactly what I want. Yet, altogether I have some annoying holes in my music-making knowledge (synth programming, mixing (beyond basic EQ'ing), compressor theory, etc.)! Kim's articles seem easily-understood, well-written and reliable.

Thank you, Kim, for writing these brilliant forum posts. Looking forward to putting your - and now also my - knowledge to good use.
Thank you, mabian, for putting together this PDF (which must be time-consuming). Great inniative, idea and execution.

- ulrik sander

PS: If you (mabian) are not doing this (admittedly I haven't checked...) I suggest you start inserting the current version number (perhaps including a what's-new-list) in each update of the book, so we readers can see if our offline file is up-to-date.
Hardware: M-Audio Audiophile USB + Studiophile BX5a | Numark PT-01 USB | Akai MPC2500 SE

Software: FL Studio 11 | Groove Machine | Geist | TX16Wx 2 Pro | EZdrummer | Arturia Minimoog-V Original | kHs One | Bass Station | V-Station

KVRAF
4692 posts since 28 Jan, 2003 from In these very interwebs

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:56 am

Thanks Ulrik, much appreciated! :-)

-Kim.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 am

Hi Ulrik,

thank you for the kind words :)

Luckily the most work has already been done for the first "edition" of the PDF, mantaining it is now fairly quick - soon a new update will be released, I intend to refresh the PDF every one/two months approx.

The cover of the PDF document already reports the date up to which the document is current.

Anyway, I'll update this thread each time the document is updated.

Cheers!

- Mario

KVRAF
3057 posts since 13 Jul, 2003 from outer rim

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks Kim for a much valued resource, and Mario for the pdf which goes to my e-books folder.

Banned
111 posts since 18 Sep, 2007

Post Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Wow GREAT! Thanks A LOT!
Ulrik Sander wrote: discovering the existence of freeware plugs of the BootEQmkII (Variety of Sound) or Glitch (dBlue) standard for the first time!
:? Welcome to the internet

KVRian
1265 posts since 24 May, 2004

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:40 am

Great resource! Thank you!

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 pm

New update available!

Download link on first post.

Content up to date to today, a few layout adjustments.

- Mario

KVRAF
8996 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Holy cow what a resource! This is most excellent work Mabian and of course Kim for the original articles. Very good stuff! I love the way you, Kim, write! Will make this a permanent pdf on my iPhone for reading at all times in all places. :D

Cheers to you both!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

KVRAF
4692 posts since 28 Jan, 2003 from In these very interwebs

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks, bManic! That's high praise coming from you!

-Kim.

Return to “Production Techniques”