What Books do you recommend for Electronic Music Production/Composing or Sound Design

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It would be really nice if someone can give me some Recommendation for Books that include Tips, Techniques, How to's and etc... for Electronic Music Composing/Production and/or Sound Design.

Thanks

I'm planning on buying this one soon:

http://www.amazon.com/Welshs-Synthesize ... +synthesis

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Cm mag?

It depends on your purposes. The following are "hard core" but essential, IMO:
Computer Music - Charles Dodge and Thomas Jerse
Computer Music Tutorial - Curtis Roads
Electronic Music And Sound Design - Alessandro Cipriani and Maurizio Giri
(for the last one): http://www.virtual-sound.com/en/

Oh.. and Max, of course. And Reaktor (and, if you're on Mac, MetaSynth)
Fernando (FMR)

It depends on how experienced you already are. There are many great books, for example "Mixing Audio" by Roey Izhaki...

I started Composing 3 years ago, But there was a lot of messing around, So I'd say I'm around intermediate in composing... But I'm a beginner in Sound Design, I do know most of the Terms but definitely lack Techniques and Acknowledgment of them.
My kind of Genre is Progressive House and Trance, But I don't want to limit my learning to these 2 genres.

Maybe the "Dance Music Manual" by Rick Sno(w)man could help you, too (isn't there "Dance Music Manual 2" in the meantime?) -- unless you want to make trash metal... :hihi:

That's a good one, It's just a little old but I don't think it matters in my case, Thanks.

Well since I was a Hardcore Metal fan before (Still listen to some of them depending on my mood), I'd be lying to say I'm not considering bringing some of it to my Music :D

A1AWI wrote:That's a good one, Thanks.

Well since I was a Hardcore Metal fan before (Still listen to some of them depending on my mood), I'd be lying to say I'm not considering bringing some of it to my Music :D
Just as a side note, I'm surprised how many metal musicians are passing on to "electronic music"! I always look at the biography of "electronic" musicians and often I read "played in a metal or punk or hardrock band"...is there some secret reason? (Maybe guitar broken or amplifier exploded? :lol:)

There are some cases of PC Overheat after opening a ridiculous amount of useless VST's, However that rarely (if ever) leads to explosion :D. I'd be more afraid of an Electric Guitar string cutting my hand though.

Well, in my Metal times, I downloaded FL Studio's demo and a few Electric Guitar VST's to try and make Metal Riffs. Days passed and then suddenly I found myself making Acid Basslines with the plugin provided with FL Studio (Sytrus) I liked it from there and here I am :D 3 years of learning with experimenting (Should I feel sad about my wasted time? I mean I could learn a lot more and a lot faster)

A1AWI wrote:There are some cases of PC Overheat after opening a ridiculous amount of useless VST's, However that rarely (if ever) leads to explosion :D. I'd be more afraid of an Electric Guitar string cutting my hand though.

Well, in my Metal times, I downloaded FL Studio's demo and a few Electric Guitar VST's to try and make Metal Riffs. Days passed and then suddenly I found myself making Acid Basslines with the plugin provided with FL Studio (Sytrus) I liked it from there and here I am :D 3 years of learning with experimenting (Should I feel sad about my wasted time? I mean I could learn a lot more and a lot faster)
I'm sure that the "Dance Music Manual" can cure you of Metal... :hihi:

It covers the basics of Sound Design (and Dance Music production) and how to make special sound FX. If you want to practice more Sound Design, I recommend you to read the books of Simon Cann, there are many of it:

http://noisesculpture.com/

Of course, Computer Music Mag articles and SOS articles are always worth to read, but having a good book is more convenient than hundreds of different articles from all Audio magazines...

Tricky-Loops wrote:I'm sure that the "Dance Music Manual" can cure you of Metal... :hihi:
We'll see about that :D
Tricky-Loops wrote:It covers the basics of Sound Design (and Dance Music production) and how to make special sound FX. If you want to practice more Sound Design, I recommend you to read the books of Simon Cann, there are many of it:

http://noisesculpture.com/

Of course, Computer Music Mag articles and SOS articles are always worth to read, but having a good book is more convenient than hundreds of different articles from all Audio magazines...
Well as a start I think I'll go with Dance Music Manual, I'll try the more specific ones when I increase my general knowledge.
Thanks.

1. THE SECRETS OF HOUSE MUSIC PRODUCTION by Sample Magic, hear a lot of good stories about it. Anyone know if the accompanied cd with audio is worth it?
  2. Unlocking the Groove by Butler. Not for beginners, in fact it is quit difficult. Cups by Underworld is extensively discussed
  3. Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Katz. Focused on mastering, but still a lot of good tips for producing / mixing.
Dúnedain

Dúnedain wrote:
  1. THE SECRETS OF HOUSE MUSIC PRODUCTION by Sample Magic, hear a lot of good stories about it. Anyone know if the accompanied cd with audio is worth it?
  2. Unlocking the Groove by Butler. Not for beginners, in fact it is quit difficult. Cups by Underworld is extensively discussed
  3. Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Katz. Focused on mastering, but still a lot of good tips for producing / mixing.
The sample CD from The Secrets of House Music Production is pretty good. It put me onto more from Sample Magic.

Good book to go back to every now and then.

Return to “Production Techniques”