MIX CHALLENGE - MC20 April 2016 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I just wanted to let you know I'm still evaluating, but am putting together feedback and will have something for you today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow).

This is a very difficult thing to do. I mean, you guys put time into listening to my song over and over again, and I truly appreciate that! I tried to provide a bunch of feedback in return.

These also each have their own killer sounds and ideas to recommend them. I'm sorry to have to pick 8 to go to the next round.

I took notes as I made several listens to each mix, and broke out the notes for feedback below. Please know that I took a lot of notes, so apologies for any typos, and the huge post.

Results at the end of the feedback.

I'm referring to the song structure as intro: verse 1: chorus: verse 2: bridge: break: verse 3: chorus 2: outro

Anyway, without further ado:

ykon28
  • I like this big fat kick, it's my favorite of the bunch. The snare is a bit woody in contrast, but that's also the sample i chose. What's woody mean? I guess it means the snare sounds like a drum, and not a galactic gunshot. I guess some more slap is where I'm going.
  • Drums might be a bit forward on next listen, maybe a bit more room on them, push them back ever so slightly.
  • I also loved the depth on the guitars; really nice use of what, a plate verb? I dig it so much.
  • The vox are inside the mix, where I like them. Perhaps a bit more carving on the guitar and snare eq, to make more room for them, especially if they're going to be sitting inside like that.
  • Adequate spread on the BG vocals. I know I didn't specify spread in the rules, but listening these mixes I REALLY like what some of you have done with that.
  • Bass is nice and warm, totally audible and seems to be where it belongs.
  • Move the bongos back, or pull the fader down on them, they're like, "HEY IT'S BONGO TIME!" haha.
  • Excellent mix overall, perhaps a bit more work to make the final chorus pop out a bit, maybe more extreme width on those bg vox, some overall mix automation? Anyway, this is the first one I heard, and I was really taken aback by my reaction to hearing my song mixed by someone else. Too cool. This did not influence the judging I promise!
photonic
  • Intro is nicely put together, building anticipation.
  • That bass comes in like an earthquake, and I like it. It really rocks in the chorus. Maybe push the guitars a bit forward in the first verse, glue them onto the sides of the big bass sound. It sounds like you're building up the guitar mix, and adding more guitar in the second verse, but the 1st verse is so bass heavy.
  • That second verse is righteous by the way.
  • Those lead guitars need some more work, they're a bit like an ice pick on the intro.
  • To me, the vocals are too loud, but the tone and depth on them is fantastic. They could use a bit more work to blend them into the mix.
  • Nice spread on the background vocals, especially in the bridge and second chorus. The verb on them is so nice.
  • The break balance is my favorite of the bunch, really effective contrast and transition back. Lead guitars there work very well.
  • Overall mix is very bright, and tiptoeing up to the edge of clarity/harshness. Snare is super bright and forward, almost but not jagged.
  • The flanger on the last chorus is perfection (kisses finger tips, spreads them). The outro is really crunchy, maybe watch the distortion, and work on the lead guitar mix.
Ichad.C
  • Whoa I like the boldness of the drum mix!
  • This is a nice vintage approach, and the drum mix creates an interesting balance and spread.
  • One thing, the intro sounds HUGE, then the rest of the mix comes in and it seems a bit small overall. I'd suggest filtering that intro to an appropriate size, to match the feel of the rest of the mix. Maybe spread the snare to the middle a bit more with verb or short delay (but keep the dry impact where it is).
  • The vocals are too distorted for my taste, in the first verse, but they kick ass in the second verse; maybe smooth that out.
  • The bass sounds good.
  • I'm so into the break, the shakers are perfect, and that's a nice transition to the third verse. In the break, maybe back off the guitar delay, it doesn't seem necessary.
  • Final verse and chorus have my head nodding in time, I love the direction you took with the chiming guitars in the final chorus.
  • That tambo is a bit loud.
  • Overall, this mix has potential, but I think it's too congested, and there seems to be some serious squashing going on, on the mix buss.
M.O.R.K.
  • Maybe more high pass filter on the intro? The transition into the mix is good, but could be more dramatic.
  • It's a clear, bright mix, and I'm really digging the drums with that slap from the verb in the background.
  • This instrumental mix is sweet sounding, bass may be peeking out a bit too much though. That's just in the first verse: bass works in the rest of the song.
  • Lead vocals could use some more glue, their level is a touch too high.
  • You nailed the vocals on the bridge, there is a depth and dimension I don't hear in the other mixes.
  • Best bongos of the bunch here, and my ears are eating up those stereo claps in the third verse.
  • Head nodding in time to the third verse.
  • This is such a nice elevation on the final chorus, the vocal spread is totally effective, and the lead tone is right where I'd like to hear it.
  • I'm hearing some subtle fx on the outro guitars?
  • Overall to me it is a very 'up the middle' mix, but conversely that makes the final chorus much more dramatic.
Aditya.inHim
  • This intro really stood out, it's different and you can tell the filtering is done very confidently. You know which direction you're taking this.
  • The toms hit like a heavyweight, and we have our first really heavy drums of the bunch. Kick and snare sound melded together and strong, but drums are a bit forward and too bright; in fact everything is pressed a bit forward, the mix overall could use a bit more depth.
  • Bass is heavy, but it's working. It's more modern sounding than the other mixes. It's growing on me.
  • Guitars are appearing in appealing ways, getting added in from verse to verse, and it is how I envisioned this mix happening.
  • The background vocals are nicely balanced, but they could use come more glue, maybe buss and compress lightly, it's just not that convincing as is.
  • The harmony in the third verse hit me right here; it was PERFECTLY done.
  • Also, nice job on the piano, it has a nice depth and dramatic heaviness (which is how I intended it). My notes say "piano is KILLER!" haha.
  • Final chorus, maybe more use of stereo field here.
  • The snare keeps bugging me, it's good, but it could use more of that slappy sound. Once again, I know I chose the sample, so take that as you will.
continues in next post...

continued from above...

persen71
  • Wow, toms. It's like mountains falling down. Very cool treatment. The intro piano/organ could use some cuts around 200…tame the thickness. But who cares after those drums come in. I like the full on Zep treatment!
  • The point and the verb on the kick, though, could use a little more care. It's all I hear if I focus on the drums.
  • Lead guitars could use a bit more work, they're very sharp in the mids.
  • It's a bright mix, and is really pumping, it's LOUD. Maybe a bit too smashed forward?
  • I love your choice to go jangly on the chorus guitars. In fact, overall the guitars sound really big, and mixed well.
  • Vocals sound appropriate, maybe a little too much sizzle in places?
  • The huge compression on the drums must be addressed. I understand the approach, but it's not working with the cymbals and hats, it's too much.
  • You know, it's a brave mix though, and I respect the hell out of that.
  • The break is tight, and very appealing. It's like a strat symphony haha.
  • My head is nodding in time on the third verse, where you NAIL the guitars and harmony.
  • Final chorus, once again, I'm really liking the jangly guitars.
  • Fade starts at the right spot, yes! Fade is perfect.
ThePresent
  • Intro is righteous. I'm really digging the retro drums on this one. Those flanged toms get your attention, like, 'this will be psychedelic'.
  • Vocals – I like the tone quite a bit. I'm not really buying the delay though, maybe up the length and high and low pass the delays?
  • Chorus is good, but the sustained guitar is loud.
  • I keep coming back to the drums; they sound so well mixed. They really come into focus in the chorus.
  • I love the vocal width in the bridge, emphasizing the first line, then bringing the second line in. It gets your attention.
  • Flanging and phasing is a bit overdone, on guitars and vocals respectively; I might dial back the mix control on those, especially on the vocals in the last verse. I'm finding the vocals there very distracting, and I can't find the groove.
  • I might dial back the bass guitar a bit, too.
  • There are several nice guitar decisions you made.
  • Overall a great ear candy mix, if a little heavy handed with some of that candy.
  • Big props to the guitar lead tone, and the fade. I love the ethereal delay as the song fades out!
kevin gobin
  • You were right about the reference track! I lost several instrument tracks when I clumsily moved the project from Studio One 2 to 3. I really appreciated the very kind comments, too.
  • Anyway, these drums speak to me. The snare is woody (again, my sample I understand), but the clarity is JUST RIGHT. I'm all about this drum sound. Modern but not.
  • The bass guitar, something about it is bothering me; I think it's a weird bump in the mids. It's way too forward, and requires some more sculpting. I'd really like to hear this bass lock in with these great drums.
  • In the chorus, I'm not buying the delays on the piano/organ, I might revisit that, or check the timing…it sounds kind of unfinished.
  • Up until the bridge, this is a very 'up the middle' mix, then it opens up nicely with the background vocals.
  • Very nice structure on the guitar balance and tones.
  • Lead vox have a nice spread, blooming out from center. They're a little loud in the verses, sound great in the choruses, and have a touch too much of that bathroom verb.
  • Bongos are a bit distracting, maybe put them off to the side, and send them to the back.
  • I LOVE the focus on the galloping chuka guitars in the last verse.
  • Delay throws are good on the lead vox.
  • I'd like more spread in the final chorus, with the background vox out there.
  • Lead gtr is beautifully done.
  • Fade is a little quick at the very end.
lolilol1975
  • I like this intimate intro…oh boy, what happened to the tempo?
  • It's making me feel a bit manic haha.
  • Lead vox have a sizzling distortion on them that I think works in this mix.
  • I dig this totally interesting drum mix, it's vintage for sure, and spread out nicely. It's stereo image got my attention.
  • Shakers and Tambourines are way too loud, and the tambo hurts in the chorus.
  • That said, the bongos are perfect. You managed to put a really nice depth on them, that I wasn't able to mix myself, but heard in my head.
  • I'm still way too distracted by the tempo.
  • Everything is glued, and has a cohesion that I can't ignore. Bass and kick punchy.
  • Claps have a slick verb on them.
  • The final chorus background vocals sound good, really nice light touch with the effects, but it's definitely torched with distortion effects. I might back some of those off, let the tune breathe a little.
  • I also wish there was more of a fade at the end.
jhkennedy5
  • Dat piano intro. It's good.
  • I know earlier I said I liked the plate slap on drums, but it's ever so slightly overdone here.
  • Thin snare, but a really appealing clarity on the drums. Also, that's for sure within the rules, in terms of the reference mixes I cited.
  • Stereo image is killer, the guitars live in their logical spaces (there are a lot of them, good job!), and the bass is grooving along beneath them. This is really good. Gtrs are tough when they need to be, restrained when not.
  • The vocal delays are a bit distracting, popping up and sounding like they're from another song. At one point I thought someone was calling me in the house!
  • More spread on the background vocals would help the bridge. Ah, there is good spread in the final chorus.
  • The sustain guitar in the final chorus is loud, it's covering up some of the good tone shaping you did with the more chordal guitars.
  • Overall the mix could use a little more spread, but it's a good mix. It really punched on my monitors, but sounded vintage and restrained on my phones and earbuds.
  • Maybe the drum kit itself could use some internal mixing to bring up the toms.
  • Fade is smart, but at the very end experienced some clicks and pops.
continued...

...continued from above

thiagoam88
  • I like this underwater-like intro.
  • Immediately distracted by the drum verb. Oh but wait, man this is a great sounding vintage style mix once everything comes in.
  • That piano is nice in the left channel! I like how you eq'd and panned it.
  • The bass seems to have the same weird bump that kevin gobin used, it almost has a vowely sustain sound. I'd prefer less of that.
  • In the first chorus, the organ gets to be a bit 'too much', if you know what I mean. Its EQ doesn't quite fit with the rest of the sound, and it gets distracting over the course of the song. I do like how it floats above everything, but I'm not sure that's the right move for this song.
  • Vocals have a pleasing tone, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but they might be a bit TOO buried.
  • And that drum verb really works on the transition from chorus 1 to verse 2! So it has its place, you could say.
  • And this is a compliment, but the guitar mix is interesting, and I want to go back and listen more.
  • You had a very nice touch on the bridge, it's a very deep, pleasing mix. In fact, the entire song is enjoyable to listen to, it's pleasing. Nice glue.
  • I think this works without a fade, though I would prefer to see one executed.
vasdim
  • The intro is a little boomy, but I like how the modern drums overtake it and really grab your ears.
  • Oh man, this is really compressed and fatiguing. That aside, you found a really nice place for each instrument.
  • I love the flanged guitar in the chorus! That's the ear candy I wanted to hear.
  • The lead vocals cut nicely, but they may be a little thin. That said, it doesn't bother me, I think it works within the rest of your mix, and they have a sweet sound.
  • Percussion is very competent, I like where you put everything.
  • Verse 2 kicks ass, with where you put the vocal double.
  • Bridge harmonies are nice and tight.
  • I'd prefer a fatter organ sound, but I get where you were going with the more ethereal sound, to fit in the mix.
  • Nice ear candy in the final verse.
  • Guitars build really nicely over the course of the mix, it's nice to see that implemented so skillfully.
  • This fade is RIGHT ON.
Kolyev
  • This mix has a really nice depth to it.
  • While I'm not a fan of the rotary organ on the intro, I LOVE it in the choruses. It sounds deep and thoughtful, but doesn't sound like the organ you've hear a million times in a million other songs.
  • I didn't mention the buzz on other mixes because that's my mistake (my ground loop!), but this one was pretty distracting. I don't mean to call it out, it was on several other mixes, but here it's like "Hello!" from the very beginning. It's interesting though, you did get a nice guitar sound regardless, and got them all to sit in the mix.
  • Those lead guitars hurt a bit in the intro, but the outro lead has a beautiful tone.
  • The drums are also exactly what they need to be.
  • This is the PERFECT fade, by the way. you are the dojo's master of the fade. Nice job on that, sensei.
  • I appreciate the confident verse vocals, but for the style perhaps they could be dropped just a touch in level? Or pushed back an inch or two with more send level? I do like how they're on the verge of breaking up with distortion, and they're great in the chorus.
radio12
  • Maybe spread the intro a bit?
  • Whoa those drums, they could be out of the early 90s on one of those expensive major label albums! They sound really, really good, and absolutely differentiate the sound on this one. Nice eq and balance, and thumbs up to good old Valhalla.
  • The guitar balance is exactly what I was looking for in the verses and choruses.
  • In the bridge, the picked guitar could come up a little, but otherwise this is a great guitar mix. It's so jangly in the choruses, and thick in the verses.
  • The vocals. Where to begin. I'd honestly like to ask what you did? I never like to hear myself sing, but your mix made even me like the vocals! Vocals sound pro. Great job! Cool idea to spread them out at the end of verse 2, as well. I gotta say, maybe even bring the vocals up.
  • Also, the guitars are fat, but tamed, as is the organ.
  • I'd work on getting the third chorus to hit a bit harder – more contrast from third verse to final chorus.
  • Otherwise, I was very impressed with this mix. The fade leaves me wanting more, as it is supposed to. Wow.
g_liou
  • Excellent depth and intimacy on the intro, probably my favorite one, tied with Aditya.inHim.
  • Ah ha, more Zeppelin drums, which goes directly after my heart (rather than brain haha).
  • I might check the sustain on the snare, as I found the "pshhht!" a little distracting.
  • I can't deny the gigantic kick, and I like how the guitars and bass are mixed around the drums, as they should be in this context. Then, as the song picks up steam, everything slowly reveals itself. Nice job on this!
  • On the bridge, maybe a big plate on the background vocals? Just to open the mix up a bit more? Maybe you did, and I'm not hearing.
  • I'm not really buying the slap delay on the guitars in the break. I might dial that back. But, the leads there sound very convincing.
  • Stereo image is solid, I like where it is, and how it sounds on headphones, monitors, ear buds. It's VERY listenable.
  • The bass is also standout, as is the mix on the background vocals in the last chorus, and the delay on the lead guitar in the outro.
The following are the ones I think have the most potential with 2nd round refinement. Thanks everyone for participating! Mixers in the next round, in no particular order:

ykon28
photonic
M.O.R.K.
Aditya.InHim
kevin gobin
jhkennedy5
radio12
g-liou

Thanks for your comments and for allowing us to go all-out 70's on your great song. A friend of my daughter came by and said :"hey great song, is that Pink Floyd?" ;)

Thanks for the feedback, Erictracks!

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the results. I though I had a pretty good mix considering the song style and the briefing. Maybe I did bury the vocals a little too much but, apart from that, your feedback was on some minor, easily adjustable issues. Hopefully this doesn't sound like I'm a sore "loser", just disappointed.

Anyway, it's a great song and I hope we have great and balanced winning mixes.

thiagoam88 - I've been there, and know how you feel. Totally fair comments. Now I wish I could go back and listen and evaluate again. I tried to honor the mixing effort with many listening sessions and (hopefully) fair comparisons.

The Present thanks that means a lot!

We've all been there, right? 8)

By the way, really organized and detailed feedbacks. It really shows how you have taken this seriously. Appreciate that!

Good luck to all 2nd rounders!

Thank you for the evaluation, Eric.
We're now going into Mix Round 2, which will end on Monday, 02-05-2016 at 11:59pm CEST/GMT+1

The following 8 participants will go into Round 2 (sorted alphabetically):
- Aditya.InHim
- g-liou
- jhkennedy5
- kevin gobin
- M.O.R.K.
- photonic
- radio12
- ykon28

Best of luck!

EDIT:
We're in desperate need for new audio material to mix. If you can help us in any shape or form, get in touch with us with a demo track. No more tracks, no more challenges:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=443876
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hello !

Thank you very much for this opportunity. I have only been mixing for one year so it is extremely helpful to me that you go through my mix and give it a real constructive criticism.

Thank you again and good luck to all you great mixers further in this contest !

See ya ! :)

Per Einar

Hello erictracks!

I am glad to reached second round!
Your comments are very detailed and comprehensible. You did a great job with those feedbacks :tu:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Per - thanks for entering your mix, it was my pleasure to listen :tu:

photonic - thanks, and i'm glad the comments were useful. i'm looking forward to your second round entry :D

Thanks erictracks for the detailed comments :tu:

Now that you mention it, I'm like "damn I should have adressed the noise in the guitars". I really don't know why I didn't do that, would have been no big deal and is usually the first thing I'd do :dog:
I think I have a saturation effect on some of the guitars that probably brought the noise up.
Now, I don't remember it exactly, but I'm pretty sure the fade out is just a linear fade starting with the beginning of the guitar solo. Nothing fancy at all.
But I'm glad you still seem to like my mix, despite the noise issue. Next time I'll know better.

Good luck to all finalists!

Thanks for the feedback Erictracks! Good luck to all who made the second round!

P.S. @thiagoam88 I really enjoyed your track most of all too, wonderfully light touch!

Regards
Andrew

Thanks for your feedback, erictracks. A bit disappointed I didn't make it to round 2 of course, but that's the game I guess, congrats to the contenders :). I knew I was taking a big risk by increasing the tempo (I wasn't even sure it wasn't a reason for disqualification, but I didn't see anything like this in the rules), but I felt it could work well with this song.

For the record, it's the first time I do a mix, and I'm glad I got this opportunity, it was great fun and I learnt a couple of tricks in the process. I've done everything with only free plugins and a couple of ToneBoosters plugins (Evoke on the voices). For the bongo and the back voices, I used ACON digital Multiply. I guess a slight delay would have done much the same effect.

Return to “Production Techniques”