Van Halen 1984 snare and bass drum?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I heard "I'll Wait" on the radio today and really started thinking about that snare and bass combo. They sound great together and whole websites speculate on the sounds but they sound processed to me. Anyone have any ideas? The bass drum sounds more like a sample than a real bass drum.

If you believe Ed's story of the building of 5150 and the tracking of the album, those bass drum sounds and snare sounds are from a Simmons kit because the space was not set up for a good drum tracking room at that time.

I have heard rumors that the snare might instead be some sort of roto-tom version of a snare or his Ludwig 14 x6.5 Super-Sensitive Snare Drum.

As with all things Van Halen, there is a some myth mixed in with facts when it comes to their sound secrets.

Thank you! That's quite helpful. 5150 is known for the Simmons sound so it would make sense that they could have been experimenting with it before.

I'm a drummer and I've been a fan of Alex Van Halen my entire life. I actually know precisely how he gets his snare drum sound from articles I read in magazines back in the 1980's. It isn't an electronic drum kit either. He uses a few relatively unknown tricks, one of which he learned from John Bonham. The process is pretty simple really, but I'll never tell. hahahah Put it this way, first you'd have to own an actual snare drum similar to a deep shell Black Beauty and then there's three specific things you have to do to it. :hihi:
Last edited by jp008 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Does it involve cocaine and hookers?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

hahahah Yeah, but that comes after the duct tape. :hihi:

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

jp008 wrote:I'm a drummer and I've been a fan of Alex Van Halen my entire life. I actually know precisely how he gets his snare drum sound from articles I read in magazines back in the 1980's. It isn't an electronic drum kit either. He uses a few relatively unknown tricks, one of which he learned from John Bonham. The process is pretty simple really, but I'll never tell. hahahah Put it this way, first you'd have to own an actual snare drum similar to a deep shell Black Beauty and then there's three specific things you have to do to it. :hihi:
On behalf of the visually challenged, thanks. See this folks, there are considerate people out there after all.

Kinh wrote:On behalf of the visually challenged, thanks. See this folks, there are considerate people out there after all.
Given that pretty much every modern browser out there is capable of zoom-resizing all of a web-page's elements, like text (CTRL-mousewheel, or CTRL+ in Firefox, for example), it seems a bit odd to imply that people who dont post with manually enlarged text are somehow inconsiderate.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Ludwig LM402, Remo CS dot head with gaffer tape in a triangle shape, tune low.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Tight trousers and big sticks :wink:

whyterabbyt wrote:
Kinh wrote:On behalf of the visually challenged, thanks. See this folks, there are considerate people out there after all.
Given that pretty much every modern browser out there is capable of zoom-resizing all of a web-page's elements, like text (CTRL-mousewheel, or CTRL+ in Firefox, for example), it seems a bit odd to imply that people who dont post with manually enlarged text are somehow inconsiderate.
Here...here's 10c, now go buy yourself a sense of humor. :dog:

Kinh wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Here...here's 10c, now go buy yourself a sense of humor. :dog:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Return to “Production Techniques”