Mastering with a multi-band-compressor what is your workflow?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, do you have some tips or workflow hints on how to use a multiband compressor on the master?
Expecially the low frequencies, how do you deal with them?

:ud:

Which comp? General wisdom I guess is be aware of re-EQ'ing effects and potential overcompression. Many people will say "only use them rarely and only for problem solving" but there's no strict rule about that, especially in EDM.

I'm a total amateur in mastering but I like to split it into 3 bands and just compress the mids, either leaving highs and lows alone or even using expansion on them rather than comp. FF Pro-MB in tandem with a character type comp (Glue) can do real wonders for that final touch.

ok i use the default frequency band range sent in reaxcomp and adjust the compression in the shape of v type

high compression on subbass and high and low compression on bass and mid
for dubstep

thats what i would say and adjust the threshold according to the song
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

I mapped out my typical workflow for multiband compression in the attached chart. Would be interesting to know how similar it is to others!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(In seriousness, I find dynamic EQ easier to use than multiband but they have some of the same pros and cons. If you have access to the original tracks, then working on parts of your mix by cutting it up into bands is less precise and sounds less natural than working on it as a set of instruments. Sometimes I find that playing around with multiband comp or dynamic EQ on a mix helps me understand what I want to do to the mix, but a better result can be had by going back to the individual tracks and applying that knowledge there.)

imrae wrote:helps me understand what I want to do to the mix, but a better result can be had by going back to the individual tracks and applying that knowledge there.)
Absolutely - if they're using a multiband compressor on the master to try and keep the kickdrum under control... then they obviously don't have access to the mix! If they do.. go back and fix :)

imrae wrote:I mapped out my typical workflow for multiband compression in the attached chart. Would be interesting to know how similar it is to others!
Highly-larious, thanks! :hihi:

My personal preference is to only use three bands (lo, mid, high), I'll normally play with the crossover points a little bit by soloing out a band and sweeping around. Typically like to use a slow attack (~100ms) and release time (~250ms), that way transients keep their punch.

Every song is different and requires a unique decisions, but a common signal path for me is M/S Eq, Multi Band Compression, De-Esser, Tube Eq, Tube comp, a couple different brands of limiters in series. Each piece of equipment is barely doing anything, but all the subtle things add up!

I've only used the multiband compressors/limiters on "live" stereo recordings to try to improve the balance and remove problems in a recording that I can't re-record. I find them very useful for this type of work.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

I tried to add minimal multiband compression to my finished track yesterday, to tighten low mids. After blind comparisons I figured out I liked the old version more.

If it's good, don't fix it.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Never use one

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Never use one
I more or less second that. They're certainly not something to just throw in a 'I'll give it a try manner'. I might use one if I'm trying to make a poor mix sound 'better' when the original mix is lost to the ether. I might use a linear phase one for a single band in mastering, but that's about it.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Production Techniques”