modular software interfaces

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

anyone else find these difficult to understand and use?

even if it is non movable like in modular synth emulations instead of like reaktor

what modular are you referring to if not Reaktor?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I find Reaktor’s Blocks to be very easy and straight forward to learn and use. I know people love to see loopy spaghetti, but that’s for the birds. I love how I can see it as a diagram but later hide all that and just use it like a fixed instrument and make snapshots of it. I found Softube Modular a lot less intuitive to work with so I passed.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

SJ_Digriz wrote:what modular are you referring to if not Reaktor?
arturia arp 2600v, uHe ace, eventide h6000

software plugins like that...

zerocrossing wrote:I find Reaktor’s Blocks to be very easy and straight forward to learn and use. I know people love to see loopy spaghetti, but that’s for the birds. I love how I can see it as a diagram but later hide all that and just use it like a fixed instrument and make snapshots of it. I found Softube Modular a lot less intuitive to work with so I passed.
i am the opposite to that. I look at the connections and think why can't that already be coded into an interface for me.

i can bet a lot of people have looked at reaktor for years without using

tracky wrote: I look at the connections and think why can't that already be coded into an interface for me.
That's why every other synth in the universe exists .. so people don't have to hook shit up. They can just use a fixed architecture. The entire point of Reaktor and modular in general is to allow those that ARE interested in creating their own architecture, a way to do so.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

tracky wrote:anyone else find these difficult to understand and use?

even if it is non movable like in modular synth emulations instead of like reaktor

I was like you once..

Then out of sheer determination to not feel left out, I forced myself to learn about how modular synthesis works.

If you just see no reason to use a modular, then there are always great fixed architecture synthesizers out there like the Jupiter-8, Minimoog, Prophet5 etc that you can go have fun with.
:borg:

SJ_Digriz wrote:
tracky wrote: I look at the connections and think why can't that already be coded into an interface for me.
That's why every other synth in the universe exists .. so people don't have to hook shit up. They can just use a fixed architecture. The entire point of Reaktor and modular in general is to allow those that ARE interested in creating their own architecture, a way to do so.
that's why I love Zebra (what do you call that? semi modular?) it fits my mindset perfectly being able to load up blocks without thinking.

I like the variety, it's just some are easier to get past presets with when you're not looking at GUI wires. Even my DAW - Logic - I only just learned what is ENVIRONMENT - software should open up so much - but everything ends up static because you can't control things without loads of effort

SJ_Digriz wrote:
that's why I love Zebra (what do you call that? semi modular?) it fits my mindset perfectly being able to load up blocks without thinking.

I like the variety, it's just some are easier to get past presets with when you're not looking at GUI wires. Even my DAW - Logic - I only just learned what is ENVIRONMENT - software should open up so much - but everything ends up static because you can't control things without loads of effort

SJ_Digriz wrote:

V0RT3X wrote:
tracky wrote:anyone else find these difficult to understand and use?

I was like you once..

Then out of sheer determination to not feel left out, I forced myself to learn about how modular synthesis works.

If you just see no reason to use a modular, then there are always great fixed architecture synthesizers out there like the Jupiter-8, Minimoog, Prophet5 etc that you can go have fun with.
The new Roland want Monthly Subscription and to use the Arturia (limited sound?) you have the small GUI?

tracky wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:

It doesn’t require any more effort than the effort needed to learn to play a musical instrument, or to paint, or to write software. Some people find that level of effort worthwhile and rewarding.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

well with a musical instrument you have a set range of possibilities.

only a few people with a piano end up 'preparing' it.

I always liked VAZ Modular’s way of doing things. So clean. I’m actually bummed that he gave up. That was quite an amazing plugin. Still is, if you don’t mind working with a 32 bit plugin. I think I read he’s no longer going to sell it.
Sales of VAZ Synths products have been suspended in order to comply with the change in UK/EU cross-border VAT regulations effective 1st January 2015.
Maybe he’ll bring it back now that the UK’s not part of the EU? I think what killed it was that people didn’t like the UI’s look. It is ugly as hell, but it’s pretty clear and easy to work with. The best part of it was it could host other VSTs as modules.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Production Techniques”