workflow approach and scheduling

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How are most of you guys approaching the day/week?

How much time are you devoting to sound design and is there a special hour in the day for more creativity?

Do you limit the number of different songs you allow yourself to work on in a week to be better focused?

Would love to here how your guys' approach is.

How are most of you guys approaching the day/week?
Well, I was asked bya label to provide a remix in 24 days, so got down to music as soon as I could, even thoughh I had tons of work at tis time. Already finished it few days before the deadline.
Overall, it's good to have a deadline - helps finish stuff :wink:
Do you limit the number of different songs you allow yourself to work on in a week
A number of songs per week? Lol :o Sometimes when I finish something, I immediately get to another one, but that's it.

In general, I'm always focused on one thing and switch context very slowly, usually not faster than over few days.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I working as a ghost producer. So I have to schedule my weeks pretty tight. Most of the times I finish a song in 10-12 hours. I know what you think guys, but this is how we do it in electronic music. I know many ghost producer who does the same.
The key is to keep your mind fresh. I always doing something outside of my studio each day. Sport, cinema, anything which is out of music productions.

but this is how we do it in electronic music

ghost producing is nothing special to electronic music :P

I'm the vice versa, have a full-time job as software dev and music is a hobby. So no pressure on matching deadlines or earning money from it. My workflow is like "do whatever you feel like to do". If I want to tune synths knobs, I do sound design, if I want to move blocks, I do arrangement, if I don't feel like working on a 150bpm track today, I switch over to a house track...
For me, sitting into the studio chair is like striping off oll the stress of the workingday.
Now the part of the day starts where I can decide what and when and how and how fast I'm going to do stuff.

The downside is that with this approach it takes very long to get anything finished, if it will be ever finished.
But that's not my focus - as said, I'm not really producing music to release it, but because it is fun to make it. If a releasable track comes out of it, nice, if not, doens't matter.

Appreciate the insight guys.

As someone who is running a newly started business (3 years) and has a 3 yo daughter maximizing my time is a bit of an understatement. Right now I'm doing it purely for the creative outlet. Ten years ago I was much more devoted but that was when I could stay up until 4am with no recourse ha.

Would love to hear more from you guys.

I'm using "Freeter" (https://freeter.io/) to sort and structure my creative ideas and plans.

Not necessarily about music making but to keep track of the things that come to mind and I want to investigate, try or realize later. For instance, if I see a nice trick or tutorial, I drop the website or youtube vid and related articles into a new Freeter project. Otherwise I'd forget it. Before, I had tons of fav links or dedicated sessions in my browser but this did not work.

For business things I still use the good old Filofax since I'm used to it.

Looks like a great app.. I could use something like that thanks for the tip!

tom javelink wrote:I know what you think guys, but this is how we do it in electronic music.
No, "we" don't. Some people do, and it happens also in other contexts than electronic. Please don't try to label it an okay practice by basically saying "everyone's doing it" (including the marketing part, astroturfing your services by pretending to be someone else who just happened to find the material you have produced -- the messages seem to be deleted where you described doing this).

Return to “Production Techniques”