Looking for Eq frequency diagram

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hermetech Mastering wrote:
We have around 20 thousand frequencies to play with when we’re making music, and they run out pretty quickly! There’s a finite amount of space for you to work with before your sounds start overlapping. Try to minimise overlapping to get your audio sounding powerful. If frequencies do overlap, use the stereo width to add separation.
Mixing like this ("carving out the space" etc.) is one of the reasons a lot of modern music sounds so bad, IMO.
Would you explain your position? E.q. is my weak point.

Just that "carve out the space for each track with EQ" seems to have become something of an internet truism, when it's not always the best approach, and often leads to very un-cohesive and sterile sounding mixes, IMO. Overlapping frequencies are not always bad. ;) The quote is from the site mentioned above, and I'd argue this approach will lead to less powerful sounding mixes.

That chart is only applicable for dance music, even then sub bass is not mentioned.

imo it's not just about hard frequencies but also sound. Personally I think it's better to use your ears to use levels, eq, compression to control masked frequencies.

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Just that "carve out the space for each track with EQ" seems to have become something of an internet truism, when it's not always the best approach, and often leads to very un-cohesive and sterile sounding mixes, IMO. Overlapping frequencies are not always bad. ;) The quote is from the site mentioned above, and I'd argue this approach will lead to less powerful sounding mixes.
I don't disagree - but then I really have no leverage to say one way or the other, however:
topaz wrote:...imo it's not just about hard frequencies but also sound. Personally I think it's better to use your ears to use levels, eq, compression to control masked frequencies.
...I do agree with this from experience. This is derailing the thread, but when I listen to mixes I did a year ago - they're so much better than when I began over the past few months employing different plugins I've purchased - because "they had a purpose." More specifically, I went from using my ears on how to use e.q. (especially with vocals) to watching videos and trying to do what they did with their e.q. sculpting. But no one knows my microphone/distance/pop filter, voice, etc., better than I/my ears do. For me, it was a case of "don't fix it if it ain't broke."

On the flip side, it's forced me to educate myself on the plugins I have bought and how to use them oh-so-much-more delicately. My lesson: A little goes a long way.

Absolutely. Process based on what you are hearing.
Bodhisan wrote:
Hermetech Mastering wrote:
We have around 20 thousand frequencies to play with when we’re making music, and they run out pretty quickly! There’s a finite amount of space for you to work with before your sounds start overlapping. Try to minimise overlapping to get your audio sounding powerful. If frequencies do overlap, use the stereo width to add separation.
Mixing like this ("carving out the space" etc.) is one of the reasons a lot of modern music sounds so bad, IMO.
Would you explain your position? E.q. is my weak point.
More natural/gentle filter slopes. As with all mixing, it's about balance.

[/quote]...This is derailing the thread[/quote]
Don't worry about that, it goes where it goes 8)
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

@op:

something like those?

David Gibson's The Art of Mixing is where those are from.

Thanks for that, yea I like the visual representation, just seems to make sense
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Return to “Production Techniques”