Looking for CRAP speakers

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone come across a good set of crappy speakers they use for checking their mixes? I used to have a pair of single driver Polk Audio speakers that sounded like garbage but they were loud; however, I can't find them any more. I also can't purchase them anywhere. Right now I use an LG Bluetooth sound dock for mixes but it hits on a few subby notes and I'd rather find something a bit worse that can't hit any sub notes.

I'm looking at something that is a single driver but that has a better frequency response than built-in computer speakers.

I want suggestions from people that actually own and use those crappy speakers in the same way I intend to.

I'd like to hear your experience with your quest finding the crappy speakers you finally chose.

EDIT: so far, the choices are...
Logitech Z200 :tu:
Logitech Z120
Altec Lansing VS2621 or similar w/sub :tu: :tu:
Last edited by Mathematics on Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Goodwill is your friend. I come across some tempting grot box style speakers pretty frequently.

Similarly I've been meaning to pick up a 2.1 Altec Lansing computer speaker system as well. The two should cover a depressing amount of listeners' reproduction.
Last edited by The Chase on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ghettosynth recommended Goodwill as well. I actually checked one out near me. There were plenty of options but I wanted th check a couple of pawn shops. I just haven't had the time. Altec...you have experience with those I take it?

The Altecs I mean are these guys and their variants that are included with computer packages and make up a huge chunk of listeners.

I see said the blind man to his deaf dog. I like this suggestion. To be honest, I was about to sell some HS5s because I have the HS8s, but I can low cut up to 100Hz to mimic really bad consumer speakers. 80Hz is like Logitech junk. The Altecs you suggest are better because of the sub. I think you may have a winner because those Altecs, from the average specs, can reproduce up to about 15kHz. I bet they sound really thin without the sub. I'm betting the stereo sides have a low free response of 100Hz or higher. Thanks for the great suggestion!

To judge/check transient quality i tend to listen to speakers with less bass.

Logitech Z120 (with a lot of pronounced highs) and the Z150 for midrange.Those are not so crappy though :hihi:
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

You're right..those were suggested by a YouTube as well. I was thinking about those but they are not really that crappy. Still, they got my vote.

Garbage, are the Z200s relative to my needs. The Altecs are more expensive but probably even better because I can test mixes with the sub on or off. It's nice to have that option. It's like the best of both worlds.

I'll add that one to the list. Thanks!

Return to “Production Techniques”