Parallel Effect Techniques???

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey you guys, does anybody have any advice on any specific plugins or techniques modern producers use for effecting a sound with send channels??? I've obviously used parallel compression, reverb, and distortion for some, but i was wondering if anybody uses different types of effects??? Let me know which vsts you use for parallel processing and why you use them! Thanks!!!
Last edited by Brandon203113 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brandon203113 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:37 pmthey
?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:24 pm
Brandon203113 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:37 pmthey
?
"you" are "they" i think. (or me, but i don't use fx, i abuse them)

oops sorry

After reading it again it does make sense. My bad.

Re your question a lot of plugins have a wet/dry knob which is essentially parallel processing.

no need for you to apologise brandon.

mushy is the idiot here :hihi:

as he says though the wet and dry is essentially the same thing.
although with a send, you could also for example just add a distortion to the delayed signal but not the dry
which unless your delay plug in has a send return loop cant be done.

pc can also be done by copying the audio across to another track and adding your fx chain to the duplicate. work the volume to suit your needs :)

as for what people use, i know its a cliché but it depends what you are trying to achieve, the best thing to do is experiment.
record a fairly straightforward synth line, double it up, then add anything you have to the second one, some will sound great some not so.

a favourite of mine was having a glitch/randomiser on a drumtrack, fairly low in the mix, with the right settings it gave the drums a more natural sound than the robotic 4/4 beats i can program :hihi:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:01 pm After reading it again it does make sense. My bad.

Re your question a lot of plugins have a wet/dry knob which is essentially parallel processing.
I think there's a difference right? i mean wouldn't a mix knob at 50 percent wet/dry mean that there's 50 percent of both vs having a send and having 100% of both signals and blending them with volume???

You can’t go more than 100% so there’s always gonna be a mix of the two be it with a send or wet/dry knob.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:11 pm You can’t go more than 100% so there’s always gonna be a mix of the two be it with a send or wet/dry knob.
Ah, but you can go less than 0% if you have the technology 8). Especially when dealing with distortion-type effects, subtracting the dry from the wet can give you interesting things to work with.

Nah, you can't go less than 0% on gain ;) What you talk about is phase inversion/cancellation.

@OP what DAW do you use?
On Ableton I can drop an Audio Effect Rack, create a "Wet" channel with all the FX and a "Dry" channel with nothing in it. Gain of the channels is the Dry/Wet knob.

i looked it up on reddit and people on there say the opposite of what you are saying, they are saying it's completely different using sends and blending a signal versus just using a dry/wet knob, here is the link

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... s_sending/

Why are you guys spreading information that isn't even true on the forums??? lol

Brandon203113 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 am i looked it up on reddit and people on there say the opposite of what you are saying, they are saying it's completely different using sends and blending a signal versus just using a dry/wet knob, here is the link

Why are you guys spreading information that isn't even true on the forums??? lol
Ok, you read it on reddit, so we are all stupid.

The only thing that's different is the overall volume. And obviously, with things like level dependant compressors, the plugin wil behave differently, depending on the volume of the source, so yes, in those circumstances, it's best to use a send. But that should be obvious.

Personally, the only time i use the wet/dry on a plugin, is when it gives seperate wet/dry sliders (melda for example), but who cares... this isn't even the question you asked :hihi:

Brandon203113 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 am i looked it up on reddit and people on there say the opposite of what you are saying, they are saying it's completely different using sends and blending a signal versus just using a dry/wet knob, here is the link

What they are saying is that 1 Dry/Wet knob is not the same the as 1 Wet and 1 Dry knob (1 knob vs 2 knobs).
If you turn up Dry/Wet on your delay to 100%, you only hear the delay. Same like muting channnel and only play the send. If you turn down Dry/Wet to 0%, you don't hear a delay. Same like playing the channel w/o a send.
Now the point is.. if the Dry/Wet knob is somwhere in between 0 or 100%, it effects the gain of both signals.
So yes, technically it not same because of 1 vs. 2 buttons.

Readup my post from above again.
If you create an Audio Effect Rack you have a gain knob for Dry channel and a gain knob for Wet channel (aka Send) - so about exactly the same as using the global send.

Edit: now I see what the first the post on redit was about :D
If the Wet knob should behave like a real send, it must control the gain before the FX, not after. So if you'r on Ableton, don't use the gain knob of the Audio Effect Rack channel, but add a gain utility before the FX chain begins. That way the delay will continue to play when you turn down the gain since gain utility sits in before the FX (that should be a fully emulated send knob now - or did I miss something more? :lol: )

it would have to control the gain post i think... because you can't control the gain independently after the dry/wet with the knob, it would affect the output as a whole as to blending with the sends... but hell i don't know thats why im asking for answers, the guy posting above you seems to think it's obvious but when i adjust the mix knob it doesn't change the amount of gain reduction shown in the glue compressor i have on my channel??? soooo is it really changing the amount of gain going in or nah bro?

Return to “Production Techniques”