Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wags I presume you have Ozone?

Have you used the referencing tool built in? You can import a track and Ozone will match the EQ and dynamics. Sure it can be considered cheating but it would be a useful reference/guide. You can then look at the changes it made to identify areas in the mix to improve.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

recursive one wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:30 am That Psychomotor track sounds crap

It was one my very first attempts actually. Moreover when I "mastered" it and put at Soundcould I was drunk. I mean I really was, I found the unmastered file I had made years ago and thought it sounded cool (because I was drunk) so I put Ozone on it, tweaked some stuff and uploaded. I have no idea why people like it, but some do :)

Ayways, it by no means shoul'd be a reference track to anyone. But still, you do see the differences in low and high end areas, that's what I was talking about.
Okay, give me a track that you've done that doesn't sound crap that I can download. Most of your stuff, downloads are disabled. Please give me something "good" I can use as a reference.

Thanks.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:35 am Wags I presume you have Ozone?

Have you used the referencing tool built in? You can import a track and Ozone will match the EQ and dynamics. Sure it can be considered cheating but it would be a useful reference/guide. You can then look at the changes it made to identify areas in the mix to improve.
Unfortunately, I don't own Ozone. Only Neutron 2.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:35 am Wags I presume you have Ozone?

Unfortunately, I don't own Ozone. Only Neutron 2.
Ok not to worry. Proceeding with the spectral analyser will essentially do the same thing.

The downloads are disabled for the tracks which have been released by labels, or are going to be released at some point

I don't mind giving them to you but frankly I don't see the point. When using a refrence you should make sure that your reference sounds as great as possible (I mean mixing/mastering, not musical content obviously), otherwise there is no point. I don't consider my tracks are THAT good. I'd suggest using tracks released by the most known labels because they are at least guaranteed to have the best possible mastering.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 am The downloads are disabled for the tracks which have been released by labels, or are going to be released at some point

I don't mind giving them to you but frankly I don't see the point. When using a refrence you should make sure that your reference sounds as great as possible (I mean mixing/mastering, not musical content obviously), otherwise there is no point. I don't consider my tracks are THAT good. I'd suggest using tracks released by the most known labels because they are at least guaranteed to have the best possible mastering.
Except there's no way for me to get a hold of those tracks unless I buy them. I'm not going to buy a whole bunch of Trance stuff just to look at an acceptable SPAN readout.

I’ll likely be crucified by the audiophile police but YouTube should suffice as a reference. If it sounds good there the spectrogram still is applicable.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:54 am I’ll likely be crucified by the audiophile police but YouTube should suffice as a reference. If it sounds good there the spectrogram still is applicable.
Except I don't know how to feed a Youtube signal into my DAW.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am
recursive one wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 am The downloads are disabled for the tracks which have been released by labels, or are going to be released at some point

Except there's no way for me to get a hold of those tracks unless I buy them. I'm not going to buy a whole bunch of Trance stuff just to look at an acceptable SPAN readout.
I could make some span screenshots from my favourite tracks later.

But it's not only about the Span readout, I think every producer in existence uses reference tracks when mixing. You import a track directly into your DAW and A/B your mix.

There are labels that release trance for free. For example, these albums come from top psy labels, have absolutely best possible mastering and can be 100% legally downloaded for free.

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/aquila-gain-control

https://www.nanomusic.net/2013/09/free- ... telligent/
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:03 am

But it's not only about the Span readout, I think every producer in existence uses reference tracks when mixing. You import a track directly into your DAW and A/B your mix.

There are labels that release trance for free. For example, these albums come from top psy labels, have absolutely best possible mastering and can be 100% legally downloaded for free.

Thanks Recursive. This'll do nicely.

I have a lot of work ahead of me.

recursive one wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:03 am

Holy crap, take a look at this.

The track sounds amazing. Monotonous as hell. But it sounds great. As you can see, it's almost a straight line. And all between -12 and -24 db. Most around -18 db.

Now I have a reference.

Onward and upward.

Precisely. Because it’s so flat it means you can push it harder and louder.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:23 am Precisely. Because it’s so flat it means you can push it harder and louder.
I can see AND hear that. Because of the dynamics in my track, I'm not sure this is even possible, BUT...I can at least take care of my weak low end and other problems. That will at least make whatever it is I ultimately end up with sound better.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:31 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:23 am Precisely. Because it’s so flat it means you can push it harder and louder.
I can see AND hear that. Because of the dynamics in my track, I'm not sure this is even possible, BUT...I can at least take care of my weak low end and other problems. That will at least make whatever it is I ultimately end up with sound better.
At least you wont be bored :wink:

There's way to much reverb now. Funny enough I'm learning the basics.
I think this is a coherent video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jXn5OatqhgE

I've seen many vids, but this one gave me a better understanding about space in the mix. Also explains basically how to use it as an effect.

Eq16:30

Return to “Production Techniques”