Suppressing cold/unwanted overtones

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently recorded a track with a kalimba in it. The instrument produces a tone not unlike a marimba, but also a metallic, percussive sound that isn't in tune. On my recording, the low notes sound wrong because the overtones sound louder in the mix.

I've found I can suppress a lot of guitar scritching with a cabinet simulator, so I decided to run the kalimba tracks through a cab sim. This helps somewhat, but I'm not crazy about this solution.

Assuming different instruments can produce unwanted tonal byproducts, is there a way to either suppress or re-tune these frequencies?

Have you tried EQ'ing it?
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Cab sim could be a good start.Maybe you could use EQ to tame those overtones from the impulse file itself, before running the kalimba through it (or something along these lines, as a starting point)? Convolution offers a lot of creative editing potential, a bit beyond just emulating cabs and spaces.

You could also try something like ReaFir

Just btw: Marimba is wood, vibraphone & xylophone are metal & all should be in tune.

"Spectral editing" is what you need.

CoolEditPro could do that...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

This is a job for some sharp eq notches. It will come at the cost of some phase oddness in the sound, though. Be willing to compromise between removing this tone and maintaining overall sound quality.

TomTom79 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:11 am Just btw: Marimba is wood, vibraphone & xylophone are metal & all should be in tune.
xylophone is wood, xylos refers to wood :)

Return to “Production Techniques”