Do you use chord generator tools or similar plugins to create chords? Which ones?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just Asus4.

I got Scaler but I'm just so lazy I never use it. It can give you cool ideas though. Would I ever think of making that 11th9thsus4 on the subdominant that's on the circle of fifths or whatever the shit sounds good.

Some opinions here:
viewtopic.php?p=8229105
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

C Major, the chord plugin makes it so that I don't have to remember which three notes, or even that there are three notes. There are three notes, right?

datroof wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 pm I own a few of these kinds of programs, because this is an area of interest, and I think there are a lot of cool possibilities beyond just using them as a 'crutch'. I haven't found any of the existing chord/music creation software to be useful to me - yet. I've written some software that suggests chord changes based on several criteria, including things like "show me a chord progression starting with chord X, ending with chord y, in the style composer z" etc. Then "show me some substitution options in that progression, characteristic of genre xx, or composer yy", etc. Basically trying to recreate some of the thought process of, say, a jazz pianist or arranger (it is geared towards jazz, because that's how I think). I believe there is tremendous potential there, at least until the robots take over the world.
Lol, there's a web site that already did this.
Hook Theory

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 am C Major, the chord plugin makes it so that I don't have to remember which three notes, or even that there are three notes. There are three notes, right?
Don't ask us, ask the plugin.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

I check online for chord progressions and then use Studio Ones chord mode to put them in

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 am C Major, the chord plugin makes it so that I don't have to remember which three notes, or even that there are three notes. There are three notes, right?
If you only deal with one 7 note scale and the 1-3-5 chord formula to construct chords from that 7 note scale then yes, why would you need to use a software plug-in to remind you want you already know which is the 7 1-3-5 chords for a single 7 note scale. That would be a complete waste of purchase.

In my case for the applications that I write and use, I like to explore beyone a single 7 note scale and the 1-3-5 chord formula.

So as an example, I find these 6 notes that sound really cool and now I'm ready to figure out some chords to use against this melody that I created.
I enter the notes in an aplication I wrote to search 1,784 scales that I found.
01 FindScale - 1784.png
First thing to note, I didn't find any 6 note scales but I found some 7 note scales these notes are in and if i look further, these notes are in some 8 note scales.
02 8noteScales.png
and some 9 note scales.
03 9noteScales.png
So getting back to the 7 note scales, what I'll do is export this scale as a MIDI file.
01 FindScale - 1784.png
Then drag and drop into another application I wrote that generates chords.
04 GenerateChords.png
Now when I generate chords, I'm able to generate 166 MIDI files which are 166 different chord formulas, not just the 1-3-5 chord formula.
Keep in mind, each of these MIDI files has 7 chords from the scale that I chose.
05 ChordFormulas.png
If I picked a 8 note scale, that's 8 chords and a 9 note scale, that's 9 chords.

Now that is going to get overwhelming, so I have it where I can generate from the favorite chord forumla list which is only 19 chord formulas in my favorite list.
06 ChordFormulaFavs.png
As a side note, if I wanted to further explore this 7 note scale before create chords, I have a Logic Pro X scripter
07 Scripter.png
What this scripter does with the current setting you see, I can play my MIDI keyboard and any note that's not in the 7 note Mela Sucaritra scale, it won'd play.
It only plays the notes in the 7 note scale in the key that I set.

So in conclusion, my mind isn't capable of figuring all that out, that's why I use software, to extend my mind so I can continue to explore not just this 7 note scale, but other 7 note scales as well as the mentioned 8 and 9 note scales.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yay batslap!

my favourite meme :)

ValliSoftware wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:27 pm that's why I use software, to extend my mind
i use hallucinogens! :ud:

ValliSoftware wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:27 pm
If you only deal with one 7 note scale and the 1-3-5 chord formula to construct chords from that 7 note scale then yes, why would you need to use a software plug-in to remind you want you already know which is the 7 1-3-5 chords for a single 7 note scale. That would be a complete waste of purchase.

In my case for the applications that I write and use, I like to explore beyone a single 7 note scale and the 1-3-5 chord formula.

So as an example, I find these 6 notes that sound really cool and now I'm ready to figure out some chords to use against this melody that I created.
I enter the notes in an aplication I wrote to search 1,784 scales that I found.
01 FindScale - 1784.png
First thing to note, I didn't find any 6 note scales but I found some 7 note scales these notes are in and if i look further, these notes are in some 8 note scales.
02 8noteScales.png
and some 9 note scales.
03 9noteScales.png

So getting back to the 7 note scales, what I'll do is export this scale as a MIDI file.
01 FindScale - 1784.png

Then drag and drop into another application I wrote that generates chords.
04 GenerateChords.png
Now when I generate chords, I'm able to generate 166 MIDI files which are 166 different chord formulas, not just the 1-3-5 chord formula.
Keep in mind, each of these MIDI files has 7 chords from the scale that I chose.
05 ChordFormulas.png
If I picked a 8 note scale, that's 8 chords and a 9 note scale, that's 9 chords.

Now that is going to get overwhelming, so I have it where I can generate from the favorite chord forumla list which is only 19 chord formulas in my favorite list.
06 ChordFormulaFavs.png

As a side note, if I wanted to further explore this 7 note scale before create chords, I have a Logic Pro X scripter
07 Scripter.png
What this scripter does with the current setting you see, I can play my MIDI keyboard and any note that's not in the 7 note Mela Sucaritra scale, it won'd play.
It only plays the notes in the 7 note scale in the key that I set.

So in conclusion, my mind isn't capable of figuring all that out, that's why I use software, to extend my mind so I can continue to explore not just this 7 note scale, but other 7 note scales as well as the mentioned 8 and 9 note scales.
Does it do Asus4?

"my mind isn't capable of figuring all that out" - maybe this isn't really the hobby for you

Sometimes the chord stamper in FL

ValliSoftware wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:27 pm In my case for the applications that I write and use, I like to explore beyone a single 7 note scale and the 1-3-5 chord formula.
Thanks for sharing your methods!

What's your perspective on number ranges when describing pitches and intervals?
I assume your software uses 0-11 at code level, but naming of chord formulas appears to be in "7 naturals + alterations" style?

Return to “Production Techniques”