Loud is not always better: Spotify and volume settings!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Always try to get generous dynamic range and my tracks sound great on Spotify. I even get strange sensation they somehow sound better than original. :?:

That doesn't help them get any attention, though.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1vgP3 ... zUR4MpD4Sm
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

planetearth wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:08 am My point is that mixing (or "mastering") for -11 LUFS may still make your songs sound quiet compared to the others, because Spotify will lower your level to at least -14 LUFS before the user even hears it. You'll lose your overall level and some of your dynamics, since your peaks will also be lowered.

Steve
Yes, I think you're tight about that.

Interesting test.

It seems most people simply don't care about quality. They want their music louder and louder for listening in not so optimal environments like trains, buses, metro, shoppings, etc. And after so many years of loudness war, people grew used to higher/distorted levels to the point of it being mistaken by "quality".

I'm sure Spotify has to deal with people complaining about the quietness of some music/artists as well.

dark_virus wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:48 pm It seems most people simply don't care about quality. They want their music louder and louder for listening in not so optimal environments like trains, buses, metro, shoppings, etc. And after so many years of loudness war, people grew used to higher/distorted levels to the point of it being mistaken by "quality".

I'm sure Spotify has to deal with people complaining about the quietness of some music/artists as well.
Yes, as mentioned earlier here it is probably why they added the different settings. "Loud" for the bunch who complain about the quietness, and "Quiet" for the purists that want it untouched. "Normal" for the rest who don't get what all the fuzz is about.

Return to “Production Techniques”