Project: Queen For A Day

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, I've totally lost my mind. I know it. I'm going to do a Queen tribute CD. Not covers. Original songs in their style.

Brief Background: Been a Queen fan since 1974. So it's 45 years. I know their music inside and out from a "casual listening perspective." However, I've never actually sat down and analyzed their songs in depth from a technical perspective, which I'm going to have to do if I'm going to have any chance of pulling this off.

Essentially, I've identified 3 main things that make the Queen sound.

1. Freddy Mercury
2. The Background Vocals
3. Brian May's Guitar

Obviously, I can't sing like Freddy Mercury. Hell, I can't even sing like Freddy Krueger. So I'm not even going to attempt to mimic him. Maybe I can hire Marc Martel.

The guitar I can at least make a fairly decent recreation having just gotten Amplitude Brian May. It actually sounds very good. But that's just the start. I'm going to have to study his guitar parts in depth to see what he's doing. Fortunately, with virtual guitars, performance won't be an issue as long as I can discipline myself to program these things a note at a time if I have to. This will be a lot of work.

As for the background vocals, I've already started to do some extensive research on how they got that Queen sound. It is more involved than you can imagine, including numerous overdubs and very specific ways in how the vocal parts were even recorded. How they ever did anything live is beyond me.

Anyway, that's about it. Am I missing something or are those 3 things pretty much the key to their sound?

Any tips you can give me, aside from telling me I'm out of my mind and should abandon all hope for pulling this off, are welcome.

Musically, I know I have the skills to write like Queen. Whether or not I can make a presentation that will do any of these songs justice, well, that's something else entirely. Even I have some serious doubts about doing this. But, I'm going to try.

I know what's coming, so fire away.

I've developed a very tough skin over the past few months.

fat bottomed wags, you make the rockin' world go round!
one tip, as ever, enjoy yourself :D

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:01 pm fat bottomed wags, you make the rockin' world go round!
one tip, as ever, enjoy yourself :D
If I can't enjoy myself doing this project that I need to give up making music. This is something I've wanted to do for a very long time.

One key ingredient is missing: be completely unafraid of kitsch and schlock. If I play it to my wife, and she cringes, then you've got it!

(I actually like a lot of Queen, and can even find good things in Hot Space).

ariston wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:53 pm One key ingredient is missing: be completely unafraid of kitsch and schlock. If I play it to my wife, and she cringes, then you've got it!

(I actually like a lot of Queen, and can even find good things in Hot Space).
By kitsch and schlock you mean over the top schmaltz?

flamboyant, camp, fearless.
if it sounds too camp, it's probably not camp enough. but with massive balls. freddie didn't give a f**k! in a good way ;)

watch band aid to see what i mean, that's not a queen audience remember, some of them yeah, but the line up was quite diverse for a mainstream event.
he came out, was himself, just projecting freddie and had that whole audience in the palm of his hand pretty much straightaway.
translating that to recording means, go for it! stand up tall for the vocal recording, pump your fist in the air if the mood takes, no feeling stupid.

not production i know, but as important as the sound for sure :)

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:58 pm flamboyant, camp, fearless.
if it sounds too camp, it's probably not camp enough. but with massive balls. freddie didn't give a f**k! in a good way ;)
Yeah, that's Queen. And no, Freddy didn't give a ****. If you saw the movie, the pitch for Bohemian Rhapsody was priceless. Realistically, that song should have never been a hit. But damn, Queen made it work.

Without a doubt, among my 5 favorite groups of all time.

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:03 pm watch band aid to see what i mean, that's not a queen audience remember, some of them yeah, but the line up was quite diverse for a mainstream event.
he came out, was himself, just projecting freddie and had that whole audience in the palm of his hand pretty much straightaway.
translating that to recording means, go for it! stand up tall for the vocal recording, pump your fist in the air if the mood takes, no feeling stupid.

not production i know, but as important as the sound for sure :)
Yeah, I'm gonna let myself go on this one. It may end up a combination of Queen & Sparks. Now THAT would be over the top.

not the hot pants though :o

wagtunes wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:59 pm

Musically, I know I have the skills to write like Queen
erm, i hate to burst your bubble, but you dont

you cant write Queen in a piano roll, and writing lyrics using "rhyming verse for dummies" is not the way forward

AnX wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:08 pm

you cant write Queen in a piano roll, and writing lyrics using "rhyming verse for dummies" is not the way forward
Not taking the bait. Have a nice day, unless of course you have something else you'd like to add.

And in spite of what you think of my skills or lack thereof as a writer, I'm getting a whole album of MY songs professionally recorded and released by a group that actually makes money in this business with distribution of their music in Europe and Asia, which means I will FINALLY be making money in this business due to my SKILLS.

So put THAT in your peace pipe and smoke it.

Wags ... anyone can get worldwide distribution for £50.

I hope the band that's gonna record your stuff are true to their word, but from my own experience releasing albums for various labels, things don't always work out as expected.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:20 pm

And in spite of what you think of my skills or lack thereof as a writer, I'm getting a whole album of MY songs professionally recorded and released by a group that actually makes money in this business with distribution of their music in Europe and Asia, which means I will FINALLY be making money in this business due to my SKILLS.

So put THAT in your peace pipe and smoke it.

good luck to you, which band is that? you've signed a contract that guarantees a fee i aasume?

its not personal, and its not an attack, just honesty

ive kept out of all your music threads, but doing Queen? nah...

why not just do your own stuff, find your oen sound? (prob too late now anyway)

Return to “Production Techniques”