Dynamic EQ vs Multiband Compression

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mixtur.se wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:12 pm Some compressors have this, ex the Arturia ones
https://www.arturia.com/products/softwa ... comp-fet76
Yes... It took me a while to see it... I'm guessing "Compressor Range"! If it works how I think it will, I'd like to see that on more plugins. I need to know more about this feature.
Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:46 pm These are neither multiband compressors nor dynamic EQs, they're standard wideband comps AFAIK.
I believe he knows that. It's more to do with the difference of the Dynamic EQ outside of it being an EQ, as in the reduction style. It corrects me specifying that Compressors don't have the ability to achieve that style.

Regardless to dynamic EQ's and multiband compressors having different crossovers and abilities to select the bands, the lack of reduction range, is a major difference to why I'd pick the Dy EQ over the Multicomp (edit: over Cubases MultiComp, lol).
Last edited by mitchiemasha on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mitchiemasha wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:43 am The difference is... The compressor keeps on compressing to it's ratio over the threshold. The dynamic EQ you set the amount of reduction, this enables a result that the comp can not do.
The most famous multiband compressor plugins, Waves C4, C6 and LinMB, all have range controls. My favourite dynamic EQ is TDR Nove GE, which just uses threshold/ratio with a user-controlled GR limit.

imrae wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 am The most famous multiband compressor plugins, Waves C4, C6 and LinMB, all have range controls. My favourite dynamic EQ is TDR Nove GE, which just uses threshold/ratio with a user-controlled GR limit.
This is awesome. Thank you... It seems Cubase multiband is extremely limited. It was recently upgraded to, shame only the GUI. I have Waves Gold so this is great news.

I'd love for more compressor controls on the dynamic EQ but I can't justifying buying anoth.. Wait a min, it's FREE! (at least the parallel edition) A double thank you. Hopefully it has Sidechain in Cubase.
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:50 am
mitchiemasha wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:09 pm But did you consider the point I made.
Sorry, which point specifically? As far as I see you're describing the systemic limitations of the tools you're using and ascribing them to the definition of the terms "multiband comp" and "dynamic EQ", but your points don't have to be true at all. They don't hold for Multiplicity, here's why :

Multiplicity has high and low thresholds and a dead band in between, meaning you can attenuate differently depending on whether a signal is peaking or falling. In addition to this you can limit the amount of attenuation (in either direction) both above and below the thresholds independently. You can do this for the crossover (multiband comp) and for single bands (dynamic EQ), the paradigm works the same.

This incorporates the functionality you ascribed to the two different processes to either (or both simultaneously). The threshold behaviour of an individual processor is not a defining attribute of multiband compressors nor dynamic EQ's as a whole, merely descriptions of the limitations of your current toolset.
In other words... Yes we did and MULTIPLICITY can achieve that functionality. Just watching the videos now. Very good.

This is indeed the point I've been trying to make. You've just been describing the limits of your current toolset, nothing more, they're not defining attributes of dynamic EQ's or multiband comps, rather the sophistication of the underpinning dynamics engine. Multiplicity allows you to set range for both the top and bottom of the thresholds and a dead zone where nothing happens.

Try the 30 day demo, there is simply nothing else that comes close to covering this territory so comprehensively and transparently.

Return to “Production Techniques”