I'm too perfectionist and spend 6 months - 1 year in avarage to complete songs. Am I alone? Hey,

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

I can create the initial backbone and structure of the song in a few hours but then end up spending 6 months - 1 year on average to complete songs. Fine-tuning, removing, adding parts and tweaking sounds until I'm happy with the result.

I'm a perfectionist. Am I alone? How do I become better at not falling into perfectionism traps and finish songs faster?

As long as you don't have the pressure of delivering... i don't see a problem in taking as long as you feel like.

And, yeah, i can understand it. But, sometimes it's counterproductive, when you want to finish stuff.

Totally normal. Haven't worked out the answer myself.

Well, you spelled 'on average' wrong. So how can I be sure?

But seriously, perfection is most boring. Therefore I tend to accept flaws within the 0,1% range :)

If the song is good, who cares how long did it take to make it?

But...

On the hand...

If the song is bad, who cares how long did it take to make it?

Finish the tracks when you are 100% sure they are ready, it's better than release them and then realize how many issues they have, been there, done that.

I'f anything I'm now working with a buch of tracks, some of them were essentially written 3-4 years ago, I'm finetuning the mixes/sounds now :).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

excuse me please wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:23 am But seriously, perfection is most boring. Therefore I tend to accept flaws within the 0,1% range :)
you wanted to say 0,105%? or 0,095%?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

excuse me please wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:23 am But seriously, perfection is most boring. Therefore I tend to accept flaws within the 0,1% range :)
How does one measure flaws in exact numbers?

Forgotten wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:29 am
How does one measure flaws in exact numbers?
if you where a perfectionist youd just know!

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am if you where a perfectionist youd just know!
No, i won't take the bait...

chk071 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:45 am
vurt wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am if you where a perfectionist youd just know!
No, i won't take the bait...
ive just woke up :lol:
and im not a perfectionist :shrug:
Last edited by vurt on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

:P

:hihi:

I've been 5 years on my current 3 minute epic. I've changed ever bit of it hundreds of times over. I don't know how you manage to finish things so quickly.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

recursive one wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:26 am
you wanted to say 0,105%? or 0,095%?
I contemplated almost 40 years on the initial setup of chess. Then I decided chess wasn't my thing.

Return to “Production Techniques”