How make an choir out of your voice?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How can I make a choir sound out of my voice like in this track by Joji without having perfect pitch hearing?

https://soundcloud.com/chloeburbank/joji-rain-on-me

You don’t need perfect pitch - a lot of people who sing well don’t have perfect pitch.

What is the actual process of making that choir sound? Do you take a chord and record singing every note then stack them together? Or something along those lines?

That’s the most straightforward way, but you could also use software to create harmonies for some of the voices.

If you take a single voice and use software to harmonize it, you end up with a rather flat sound. The more voices you use (even if they’re all in unison), the more natural software harmonization will sound.

Sing the same line multiple times. Change the formants on all but one of the recorded tracks. Pitch correct it.

Or you can sample a gospel-style group just like the song you posted.

Yes, the BEST way is to have 15 of your best friends - who of course all happen to be great singers - come over and sing it with you in the stone cathedral in your back yard.

The second best way is to sing it many times yourself, each time using a different accent and styling as tho you were a different person. This is what Phil Spector did and it works. Group the performances: EQ, Short Verb & Compress in that order.

The worst best way is to clone electronically and mess with timing, formants, EQs etc.

The immoral way is to do what they did there and steal it - or maybe they got it from a sample library. There are some really rather clever choir & singing app out there (just don't assume they replace real people).

:-)

Return to “Production Techniques”